All GM's Make Mistakes

st pete gogolak

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

no i meant top 2 Offense in scoring.  Yeah a great QB makes up for bad O line.  Look at Burrow.  

That's kind of the point.  No one on defense masks the deficiencies that were there when Miller went out for the defensive line.  Allen has been masking them for 3 years now and they refuse to help him.  It doesn't matter where they rank in scoring because pretty much everyone watching the game knows that it's all on Allen and Diggs.

Edited by The Wiz

4 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

In 2020, the Eagles desperately needed WR help.  First round pick was Jalen Reagor.  Very next pick was Justin Jefferson.  Reagor is no longer with the Eagles.  Jefferson is one of the best two or three WR in the league.  Maybe the best.  Yet, Eagles are in NFC Championship a couple of years later.  

Beane's been far from perfect and we all know the list   trading Wyatt Teller, picking Ford over Metcalf and A.J. Brown, Basham instead of Humphrey, Bernard instead of Parham, hell even Oliver instead of Simmons.  Some of that is hindsight, some of it is not.  

Point is, none of those "mistakes" are fatal.  This is, however, an enormously consequential off-season for Beane and the team.  He needs to make rebuild of the offensive line number one priority (same as KC did after Super Bowl loss to Tampa Bay), establish a legitimate running game that doesn't depend on Allen, somehow introduce flexibility into a defense that has grown way too stale and hope we can avoid serious injuries.  

Not saying it will happen but there is certainly hope that he can fix what is obviously broken.

People didn't want to hear it at the time but Beane was not a proven personnel man when the Bills hired him...........he was an "executive" GM.........which is what the rudderless Pegula-run Bills needed at the time.

His first 10 months or so on the job were actually horrific personnel-wise..........all while he was being fluffed by Bills fans as some kind of savior because he was willing to get rid of players that other people selected.

Then he selected Josh Allen.

That has bought him another 5 years of mostly bad UFA decisions and decent overall drafts but with flawed drafting strategy in rounds 2-3.

Now it's time for him to take those years of experience and raise his game...........like Howie Roseman did post-Chip Kelly.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

Motor and Cook combined for over 1300 yards, so that's an exaggeration, but it does make my point for me.  If we don't run, why would we bother signing CMC in the first place, especially given what it would cost in terms of draft capital and cap #'s?

Half the league have a 1,000 yard+ rb and we have two that get 1300.

Color me not impressed with the running game.  Not specifically the running game, but the fact that it's not used is more of the point I was making.

CMC would have been a waste of a position, draft capital and cap space in an offense that doesn't use RBs enough.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Like Beane has any say in the defensive selections.  Spare me. Defensively McDermott might as well be the GM.

Well, you see, he’s the general manager. If he has so little control then the entire operation needs to go. They’ve drafted zero impact defenders as a tandem. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Color me not impressed with the running game.  Not specifically the running game, but the fact that it's not used is more of the point I was making.

CMC would have been a waste of a position, draft capital and cap space in an offense that doesn't use RBs enough.

I absolutely agree with you there that what it would've cost us to bring CMC here would be a waste given how we use our backs.  If there's one thing we do less than run the ball with our backs, it's throw to them, and that's the other thing CMC does very well.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

That's kind of the point.  No one on defense masks the deficiencies that were there when Miller went out for the defensive line.  Allen has been masking them for 3 years now and they refuse to help him.  It doesn't matter where they rank in scoring because pretty much everyone watching the game knows that it's all on Allen and Diggs.

and Mahomes and Kelce…

Bills won a bunch of games without Miller.  Came within 13 Seconds of AFCC last year when he was on the Rams

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

no i meant top 2 Offense in scoring.  Yeah a great QB makes up for bad O line.  Look at Burrow.  

that’s not going to happen.   

Every September there will be countless threads saying how lucky the Bills are having Beane/McD.  Every January will call for their heads.

that’s not a sign of greatness…

Cincinnati lost

Ship everyone’s ass out players coaches, the general manager to

We only like winners

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nope

Well then I can't help you other than recommending visiting an optometrist or psychologist if you think that the Bengals O-line isn't better than the Bills. 

Also remember, they were missing 3 starting lineman in this game and last game against the Bills.

Edited by The Wiz

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Well then I can't help you other than recommending visiting an optometrist or psychologist if you think that the Bengals O-line isn't better than the Bills. 

Also remember, they were missing 3 starting lineman in this game and last game against the Bills.

I was talking about the Chiefs o line.  The Bengals o line backups aren’t better than the Bill o line. 

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Cincinnati lost

Ship everyone’s ass out players coaches, the general manager to

We only like winners

this is a weird  straw man crusade you keep repeating.  It lacks any intellectual foundation. It’s absent of thought.  

6 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Beane is a competent GM. His positives of moving up to draft Josh and trading for Diggs is the reason we are winning division titles. The problem is the roster is not improving year by year . The same can be said for the coaching staff. I still believe he can get it done but now with limited cap space, the pressure is ramped up to improve this team. These GMs can go from geniuses to the hot seat in a hurry.

This is the year he puts the team in salary cap hell like the Saints, since he won’t be there to deal with the mess. 

Edited by Governor

Fair, but now compare the salary caps of both teams. Brandon Beane has exhausted our cap on whiffs. Maybe not fair to pin von millers injury on him, but if he drafted capably, somebody could’ve stepped up in Miller’s absence. As someone who was in love with the McDermott and beane culture build and strategy, beane has failed big time to give Allen enough weapons and build a championship defense. The money and draft picks towards defense didn’t nearly pan out. The offensive line built to protect their franchise qb is a joke. He should take most of the blame. Maybe player development is lacking as well, I don’t know for sure. Either way, I’m continually disappointed in the lack of accountability at one bills drive these days 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

You curtail your offense to your personnel if you're a good OC. Look at what Daboll did in NY with Barkley.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.