All GM's Make Mistakes

st pete gogolak

Just now, Billz4ever said:

Based on the grades our line got this season, I can't see rookies doing any worse.

I’d agree but McD just doesn’t trust rookies at other positions as we’ve seen. Is he really going to trust 1-2 rookies protecting his QB?  One missed block could end our season. I think McD really will be hesitant to do it. And pretty much no chance they put two rookies on the line. One at most. 

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Like Beane has any say in the defensive selections.  Spare me. Defensively McDermott might as well be the GM.

This I believe is 100% accurate. This is the reason we overwhelmingly pick defense in the first two rounds every year and it could also be the reason a lot of these high picks haven’t worked out as planned because McD is ignoring the scouts and Beane’s recommendations and instead is telling them which defensive player HE wants. 

Edited by Billznut
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Billznut said:

I’d agree but McD just doesn’t trust rookies at other positions as we’ve seen. Is he really going to trust 1-2 rookies protecting his QB?  One missed block could end our season. I think McD really will be hesitant to do it. And pretty much no chance they put two rookies on the line. One at most. 

He trusted Saffold!!! (who had one of the worst grades I've seen for a starting lineman in years).  Whether the player out there is a rookie or not SHOULD be irrelevant. It's about putting your best 11 guys on the field, and when we're talking about protecting the face of our franchise, if a rookie is doing a better job than a vet, I'm doing it without hesitation.  If McD doesn't commit to putting the best players on the field, his chances of ever winning a championship dwindle with every passing season.

Edited by Billz4ever

12 minutes ago, Billznut said:

He played Benford because White wasn’t playing. And they put in Benford a 6th rounder over 1st rounder Elam. They had no one else to play. He choose Peterman to start that season over Allen. And then decided to put Allen in because it was Peterman. You’re actually helping me prove my point. 

So he played them? You said he didn’t play rookies. They played and kept playing.  Tremaine played, tre played, Dawkins played, spencer played

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

He trusted Saffold!!! (who had one of the worst grades I've seen in years).  Whether the player out there is a rookie or not SHOULD be irrelevant. It's about putting your best 11 guys on the field, and when we're talking about protecting the face of our franchise, if a rookie is doing a better job than a vet, I'm doing it without hesitation.  If McD doesn't commit to putting the best players on the field, his chances of ever winning a championship dwindle with every passing season.

He also trusted Peterman over rookie Allen. And THE only reason for that was Allen was a rookie and he wanted him to sit and learn. That’s just McD’s preference for rookies. As it is for a lot of head coaches in every sport. Coaches don’t like to have their livelihood on the line depending on rookies.  That’s just how a lot of coaches are built. We will see if McD adjusts a bit with that.  

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

So he played them? You said he didn’t play rookies. They played and kept playing.  Tremaine played, tre played, Dawkins played, spencer played

Go back and reread the original post. I said he “barely” plays rookies. He barely does. I can see you just like to argue. Don’t quote me with false statements. Find someone else to entertain you today please. 

Just now, Billznut said:

He also trusted Peterman over rookie Allen. And THE only reason for that was Allen was a rookie and he wanted him to sit and learn. That’s just McD’s preference for rookies. As it is for a lot of head coaches in every sport. Coaches don’t like to have their livelihood on the line depending on rookies.  That’s just how a lot of coaches are built. We will see if McD adjusts a bit with that.  

He's going to have to adjust, or Josh is going to have a short career.  I don't see the O-line as something we fix in free agency this season either.  We need to start growing our own talent via the draft and get guys on rookie contracts.  Throwing $6M at Saffold was easily the worst move of last off-season IMO.

38 minutes ago, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

Speaking of mistakes, thank Christ the Bills held onto draft picks that Beane can waste instead of acquiring CMC. 

yup - youre telling me we couldnt part w a basham (2) and bernard (3). Maybe his contract would have been the problem. but you figure out a cut/ restructure

interesting looking at 2018 now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NFL_Draft

we traded two 2s for edmunds?

fred warner was 3rd 70 pick overall.....

fred warner is 5 to 10 x the player edmunds is

Edited by balln
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Go back and reread the original post. I said he “barely” plays rookies. He barely does. I can see you just like to argue. Don’t quote me with false statements. Find someone else to entertain you today please. 

so if our rookie draft picks are good he will play them? Do I have that correct?

8 minutes ago, balln said:

yup - youre telling me we couldnt part w a basham (2) and bernard (3). Maybe his contract would have been the problem. but you figure out a cut/ restructure

Carolina got a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in this year's draft and a 5th in next year's draft for him.  And considering he'd have most likely been a rental for this season, that's a lot of draft capital for a rental.   

The Bills only have 6 total picks as it is this year.  CMC on our roster or not, I didn't see him as being the difference maker given our line.  Dorsey's playcalling wouldn't have played to CMC's strengths anyway.  We never throw to our backs and even after we got Hines, there was no real attempt to do so.

Edited by Billz4ever

Carolina got a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in this year's draft and a 5th in next year's draft for him.  And considering he'd have most likely been a rental for this season, that's a lot of draft capital for a rental.   

The Bills only have 6 total picks as it is this year.  CMC on our roster or not, I didn't see him as being the difference maker given our line.  Dorsey's playcalling wouldn't have played to CMC's strengths anyway.  We never throw to our backs and even after we got Hines, there was no real attempt to do so.

i think you dont trade for him if youre not resiging him. the point is the aggression of gm to get impact players. beane aint drafting them anymore

ill take a cmc  / for a basham, bernard, (wait we trade these 4 and 5s a lot to move up draft day) , ok vosean joseph and jake fromm were 5ths.... (not in league anymore)

7 minutes ago, balln said:

i think you dont trade for him if youre not resiging him. the point is the aggression of gm to get impact players. beane aint drafting them anymore

ill take a cmc  / for a basham, bernard, (wait we trade these 4 and 5s a lot to move up draft day) , ok vosean joseph and jake fromm were 5ths.... (not in league anymore)

Say we did the same deal as SF did and we got him and re-signed him somehow this off season even with our cap problems.  Where are you getting a legit WR2 and an offensive line revamp to protect Josh and for CMC to run behind?  You've definitely now got no cap space and you've got which basically amounts to 1 draft pick this year because unless you catch lightning in a bottle, you're more than likely not addressing the O-line and WR2 with a 5th and 6th round pick.

Edited by Billz4ever

Say we did the same deal as SF did and we got him and re-signed him somehow even with our cap problems.  Where are you getting a legit WR2 and an offensive line revamp to protect Josh and for CMC to run behind?  You've definitely got no cap space and you've got which basically amounts to 1 draft pick this year because unless you catch lightning in a bottle, you're more than likely not addressing the O-line and WR2 with a 5th and 6th round pick.

This is a moot point since we don't run the ball unless Josh decides to pull it down and run it.

Just now, The Wiz said:

This is a moot point since we don't run the ball unless Josh decides to pull it down and run it.

Motor and Cook combined for over 1300 yards, so that's an exaggeration, but it does make my point for me.  If we don't run, why would we bother signing CMC in the first place, especially given what it would cost in terms of draft capital and cap #'s?

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Say we did the same deal as SF did and we got him and re-signed him somehow this off season even with our cap problems.  Where are you getting a legit WR2 and an offensive line revamp to protect Josh and for CMC to run behind?  You've definitely now got no cap space and you've got which basically amounts to 1 draft pick this year because unless you catch lightning in a bottle, you're more than likely not addressing the O-line and WR2 with a 5th and 6th round pick.

i trade / cut (im no capologist) this is just spit balling 

tre white

morse

hines

all the specail teams vets

and fill in. if i have time ill see if thats possible

need to hit on the draft. 

7 minutes ago, balln said:

i trade / cut (im no capologist) this is just spit balling 

tre white

morse

hines

all the specail teams vets

and fill in. if i have time ill see if thats possible

need to hit on the draft. 

What are we getting in return for those guys?  And even if you cut them, you're still dealing with dead cap.

Tre White coming of a torn ACL tear who clearly didn't look the same this year (hopefully he can rebound next year).  That's a huge gamble for any team to take on his contract.

A decent but aging and concussion-prone Center.

If we traded for CMC doubt the Hines trade ever happens, so he's not here for you to do anything with. 

And special teams guys aren't getting paid a ton in the first place.

Edited by Billz4ever

A huge part of the issues heading into 2023 isn’t a single draft pick or hefty contract. It’s the sum of a number of iffy draft picks and contracts. 

So right, all GM’s make mistakes, but Beane has put us in a bit of a hole. He’ll have a chance to fix it. But I’m not sure how many chances he should and will get to do so. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Top 2 defense you mean that gave up 30 1st downs in a divisional round and could barely win against a 3rd string QB in wildcard round?

You think the offensive line grade that they give the bills is because the offensive line is good or because Allen makes them not look as bad as they really are?

no i meant top 2 Offense in scoring.  Yeah a great QB makes up for bad O line.  Look at Burrow.  

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Ship his ass out!

that’s not going to happen.   

Every September there will be countless threads saying how lucky the Bills are having Beane/McD.  Every January will call for their heads.

that’s not a sign of greatness…

1 hour ago, Billznut said:

Believe me I’d love to see the Bills pick a couple offense lineman in the first four picks this draft. But even if they do, are they actually going to let two rookie offensive lineman be out there protecting their franchise QB?  History says otherwise. We shall see. 

Well, the “seasoned vets” aren’t doing our franchise QB any favors…, so why not play the guys you draft, isn’t that why you draft them in the first place…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.