Is Spencer Brown our long-term RT?

Success

23 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK, I respect this. However my question is, what happens if a team never does this?  Imo they wind up like the current weak Buffalo Bills. 

When he was draft eligible, I posted on TBD that I wanted the Bills to draft Landon Dickerson. He is already one of, if not the the best guard in the NFL and would also be a great center. He would have protected Josh, vastly improved the Bills running game, and really helped on short yardage plays. If there is a comparible player in college now? If so, I want the Bills to go after him. Do you know of one?

That said, due to the condition of Tre and Poyer, I fully expect McDermott (notice I didn't say Beane) to draft a first round safety and probably a second round corner. 

Sad indeed. 

I'm not opposed to them drafting 3 OL with their first 4 picks in this draft if the value lines up.......makes total sense in the long term outlook.........but I don't expect immediately impressive returns.

I am hopeful they come out of this draft with their future LT and center(fairly deep group of centers).

Ultimately you gotta' get premium position players early though.   Drafting for need.......when it's not a QB......just doesn't work.

They used 2 picks on super athletic, huge OT's in Brown and Doyle in 21'..........those are the draft picks that need to start paying off in 23'.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The consensus seems to be that his play this season was inadequate.  The issue is whether Brown''s offseason injury situation is the reason for his inadequacies or he just doesn't have what it takes.  The Bills probably can't just assume the problem was all on the injury.  How much do they invest in an alternative?  That is the question.  Money is tight and draft picks are at a premium with only six.  Stay tuned.

1 minute ago, ArtVandalay said:

He's absolutely horrible against edge rushers. He's so stinking slow off the snap, he's over his head. 

Strong as hell and nasty, he might fit better inside at guard, but he needs to be quicker both physically and mentally to be RT.

At 6'8 he'd get destroyed as a Guard with bull rushers and guys getting under his pads.

10 hours ago, Success said:

I had (and still have) very high hopes for Brown, but he didn't break out this season like we had hoped.  I don't know enough about offensive line play to make a good judgment on the question in the OP.

For the guys who have a better understanding on that stuff - does he get a pass on '22 because of the injury?  Can he be part of a revamped & stronger line?  Or is this a position Beane has to look at filling this offseason or next?

Beane kind of went out of his way to defend Brown in his presser...He gave the throw-away "we're not going to hand him anything" line, but it sure sounded like they still believe he's the answer at RT. B-)

I agree with the poster that said the Bills offense is tough for offensive lineman. We don’t run much or have a short passing game. Then you also have Allen improvising back there which is tough as well to guess which way you should go.

I’m just hoping the coaches have a better idea than we do. We absolutely need better play out of LG and RT. Also C is a retirement risk. 

8 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

At 6'8 he'd get destroyed as a Guard with bull rushers and guys getting under his pads.

Tall guys can play guard. Landon Dickerson on the Eagles in 6-6 and he's a pro bowler. But yes it could be a challenge for him possibly. He's a turnstile at RT right now though. What he does well and bad suits him for guard moreso than tackle.

Other solution is adding competition and potential cutting him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.