Is Spencer Brown our long-term RT?

Success

I had (and still have) very high hopes for Brown, but he didn't break out this season like we had hoped.  I don't know enough about offensive line play to make a good judgment on the question in the OP.

For the guys who have a better understanding on that stuff - does he get a pass on '22 because of the injury?  Can he be part of a revamped & stronger line?  Or is this a position Beane has to look at filling this offseason or next?

At present, no, should he improve appropriately, could very well be. Beane needs to get three above average O-line talents this off season, fingers crossed that this happens, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Its  a lot more then playing RT, you team up with the RG and sometimes the center, don't blame everything on Brown. Its been years of experimentation, you need continuity 

If you want continuity,  stop playing musical offensive lineman....

Is he a long term answer, undecided 

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

At present, no, should he improve appropriately, could very well be. Beane needs to get three above average O-line talents this off season, fingers crossed that this happens, 

Which 3 positions?

There won't be much cap money to spend and Beane wont use his top 3 picks on OLinemen. How will he add 3 "above average Oline talents"?

Saffold should be gone and I could get on board with picking a guard  in the 1st if the value is there.

My fear is that Beane will assume he's good enough, again. He said he would bring in competition, but if he has players like Quessenberry and Tenuka in mind, we can kiss another season goodbye. 

I had a pleasant daydream that Beane trades a first-round pick, McKenzie, Davis, and Epenesa for Tristan Wirfs.

Sigh. 

I think he is. I think patience is the key when it comes to a really good athlete who is very long and played a low level of football. I keep using Mike McGlinchey as an example. The difference is that he went to Notre Dame and had a more polished game. He really struggled and finally put it together, though he still gets beat sometimes and is probably their worst linemen. He is going to get paid. 

Who are you replacing Brown with? Are you going to use a premium pick on a guy to play RT? Meh. A guy who may not be as good as Brown? In free agency? Well

we won’t have the cap space to sign a McGlinchey or McGary.

McGary is another guy, long and lean and a great athlete. He was so bad his first 3 years that the Falcons turned down his 5th year option, and he finally put it together year 4, and he’s going to laugh all the way to the bank. 

Brown will pull it together. He has a nasty disposition and a great mentality and motor. I really feel patience is the key with him, but they should bring in some sort of competition. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think he is. I think patience is the key when it comes to a really good athlete who is very long and played a low level of football. I keep using Mike McGlinchey as an example. The difference is that he went to Notre Dame and had a more polished game. He really struggled and finally put it together, though he still gets beat sometimes and is probably their worst linemen. He is going to get paid. 

Who are you replacing Brown with? Are you going to use a premium pick on a guy to play RT? Meh. A guy who may not be as good as Brown? In free agency? Well

McGary is another guy, long and lean and a great athlete. He was so bad his first 3 years that the Falcons turned down his 5th year option, and he finally put it together year 4, and he’s going to laugh all the way to the bank. 

Brown will pull it together. He has a nasty disposition and a great mentality and motor. I really feel patience is the key with him, but they should bring in some sort of competition. 

Yes, he does have that attitude so desperately needed on the OL and team. I hope he can stay healthy and improve.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Which 3 positions?

There won't be much cap money to spend and Beane wont use his top 3 picks on OLinemen. How will he add 3 "above average Oline talents"?

Saffold should be gone and I could get on board with picking a guard  in the 1st if the value is there.

Yup, it won’t be easy, but That’s why Beane makes the big bucks, it’s up to him to make the right acquisitions. 

Attitude, motor and bulk mean little when you are a turnstile in PP in the NFL. Period. The Bills cannot ASSUME  he will get there, they MUST draft or sign a RT. Healthy or not he has shown he is vulnerable to edge rushers for two years now. Sundays performance was pathetic as was the Fins playoff game. Although quite tall, he may be able to make the transition to a G, otherwise I see him as a backup swing tackle. I hope he proves me wrong.

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Agree completely.    With few exceptions most offensive lineman are a liability until year 3.......some, like the McGary example, take 4 years to get there.

The people who think that the Bills can just throw 3 early draft picks at the offensive line and fix it immediately next season are delusional.

The reality is that the Bills aren't likely to be able to be active in free agency for top offensive lineman and Dawkins and Morse are likely to continue to regress.

So we are probably in for another underwhelming display of offensive line play next season even if they hit an absolute HR and draft 2-3 future good NFL starters.

In the meantime they will have to get more out of what they have and scheme to their strengths and around their deficiencies more efficiently (like most teams have to, there are few good offensive lines in the NFL).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.