Given the 3 year rule. Analyzing the Bills 2020 draft..

JerseyBills

12 hours ago, Success said:

Would certainly be better if we kept Hodgins. I really had higher hopes for Epenesa - I thought he showed some flashes early in the season, but then kind of disappeared again.

Good write-up. Agree w/ most of the assessments.  Not a bad draft, certainly - but not great. We need hit on more picks going forward.

The only reason Epenesa got the sacks that he did was because Von literally chased guys right into him. If we can keep Gabe as a long-term WR3 at a reasonable contract, I will be satisfied. It's just so infuriating that our people are smart enough to draft guys like Teller & Hodgins yet too dumb to keep them.

Watching what KC's D line did against the Bengals was very disappointing, because the Bills with all those high picks couldn't do anything similar.  The Bills were supposed to blow up the Cinci offense because of the three replacement O linemen.  Instead Cinci ran for over 150 yards, and Burrow was hardly touched.  

Epenesa and Basham are both busts, and will likely stick around for another year or so only because they're warm bodies on their cheap rookie contracts.  Also because Beane drafted them, and who wants to admit such a terrible mistake?

Just now, Utah John said:

Watching what KC's D line did against the Bengals was very disappointing, because the Bills with all those high picks couldn't do anything similar.  The Bills were supposed to blow up the Cinci offense because of the three replacement O linemen.  Instead Cinci ran for over 150 yards, and Burrow was hardly touched.  

Epenesa and Basham are both busts, and will likely stick around for another year or so only because they're warm bodies on their cheap rookie contracts.  Also because Beane drafted them, and who wants to admit such a terrible mistake?

Jones is a special player on the Von Miller tier.

9 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

No… you did it for every pick. You just picked out 2-3 guys that have done better than the player we picked and ignored the other 30 or so that didn’t… that’s just now how it works. 

I poured hours into an actual analysis and have kept it updated over the years. Contributed plenty on this subject. 

Fair enough. I feel like part of the analysis of the draft is that you have to look at who they missed out when they made their errors. I tried to give a brief explanation of why I thought that pick was a failure and who was missed as a result. They were clearly invested in finding receivers in that draft and the fact that they took a useless backup QB for whom they had no plan over a guy like Mooney I think shows there was an error in their analysis of the wide receivers in that particular draft. 

The Diggs trade was a good use of draft picks.  

Epenesa was a whiff.  He plays, but he's just another guy in a rotation.  You expect much more from a 2nd round pick.    

Moss -- Wasted pick. 

Davis is a solid contributor.  He's not a reliable WR2, but he can play.  Pretty good pick for a 4th rounder.  You need this kind of guy in the middle rounds.

Fromm -- Wasted pick.

Bass -- Excellent.  Couldn't ask for a better selection at PK.

Hodgins -- Hard to evaluate.  This might have been a really good selection if we had kept Hodgins around, but we didn't, so it isn't.  

Jackson -- Excellent.  Any time you get a quality depth guy in the 7th round, it's a win. 

21 hours ago, Success said:

Would certainly be better if we kept Hodgins. I really had higher hopes for Epenesa - I thought he showed some flashes early in the season, but then kind of disappeared again.

Good write-up. Agree w/ most of the assessments.  Not a bad draft, certainly - but not great. We need hit on more picks going forward.

Lets see what he does next year, remember what we thought of Robert Foster after half a season

8 hours ago, Utah John said:

That was hard to watch. They bullied their ol on many drives,  caused turnovers because of the pressure.  It saddens me how much better they looked than our DL. 

On top of that KC had 3 or 4 rookies in the secondary.  All about pressure.  I just don't see how we fix our DL with all the investments.  Von coming back to form would be massive , his twitchy bendable style was a pleasure to watch and certainly makes everyone around him better. He might be our only hope.  Jones was also a nice addition and was missed.

Still inexcusable how bad they were against 3 backups. 

If we can add a DE that has Jones impact for a reasonable contract that'd be huge. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Hodgins was a great pick in the 6th round.  That’s an A grade.  Same with Teller in the 5th round in a previous draft.  It’s not the GM’s fault the coaching staff doesn’t know how to use the talent given to them.  

Good point.  I'm not sold on Hodgins until he repeats it and it's not like Dabol picked him up immediately.  It took injuries and a very thin wr corps to get him there but nonetheless I'd be excited for him. 

If I remember correctly he did have a good pre season and many including myself wanted him over Kumerow but 31 other teams decided not too pick him up so I'm still not convinced 

21 hours ago, finn said:

I'm less impressed by the Diggs trade than you. Yes, he has performed marvelously. But the Vikes took Jefferson with the pick we gave them. Now they have a younger, cheaper, arguably better player, as well as that fourth round pick we also gave up. 

This is important context.  It was in many ways a great trade for Buffalo, but even a casual fan could have told you that Diggs was a really good receiver after five years in the league in Minnesota, just like people knew Von Miller was good.  I'm not sure Beane deserves much credit for recognizing that.  Yes, Diggs has exceeded his performance in Minnesota, but that is largely because of Josh Allen and him actually being featured as the undisputed WR1.  As you point out, Minnesota will take that trade all day long.   

22 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Rd 1. Stefon Diggs - A+ no explanation needed. Elite #1 WR who now has 2 all pros as a Bill

Rd 2. AJ Epenesa- C- . maybe less. For the 54th pick in the draft he has proven to be a JAG and has limited impact on a consistent basis 

RD 3. Zack Moss - F.  not on the team anymore and was unimpressive since day 1

Rd 4. Gabe Davis - B- . For a day 3 pick he has contributed nicely.  He def isn't the answer as an every down WR but is still a legit threat and nice piece to have. Good value

Rd 5. Jake Fromm - F. Complete waste of a pick. Total bust

Rd 6. Tyler Bass - A . One of the best kickers in the game.  Great pick

Rd 6. Isaiah Hodgins - D- . At least for us he was as he was never given the chance to touch the field.  Kinda like the Wyatt Teller pick. Kid has been balling for another team. 

Rd 7. Dane Jackson- A . For a 7th rder he has been exceptional in the #2 CB role and even #1 role for part of this year. Great value. Great pick.

Overall a solid draft. Probably a B  overall , 6 of 8 picks were offensive in this draft counting Bass. We got 4 starters out of it, including Gabe, which likely changes. But nonetheless very solid. 

But the AJ and Moss picks were huge misses on day 2 and stick out the most. If we hit on 1 or both of them this would've been a great draft class

How would yall rank this draft?

Question who would you rather have Diggs or Jefferson? The WR picked with the Bills draft pick.  IMO I’d want Jefferson as you would have had 3 cheap years with him to use on other positions. Mind you Diggs is a great WR just pointing out they had a cheaper way of getting an elite WR.

Edited by PatsFanNH

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Question who would you rather have Diggs or Jefferson? The WR picked with. If Falon draft pick.  IMO I’d want Jefferson as you would have had 3 cheap years with him to use on other positions.

You couldn't have known that Jefferson would be available at that pick, or that Jefferson would be so much better than, say, Jalon Reagor.  This is Monday morning quarterbacking.  The reason why we traded for Diggs is because we knew with ~90% certainty that we were getting a blue chip star.  No such certainty with the draft.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Question who would you rather have Diggs or Jefferson? The WR picked with. If Falon draft pick.  IMO I’d want Jefferson as you would have had 3 cheap years with him to use on other positions.

People have pointed out to me that Beane might have thought Jefferson wouldn't be there when the Bills picked, and he went with the sure thing in Diggs. That's a legit point. But after seeing him pass on AJ Brown, Metcalf, and Pickens, I wonder if he would have passed on Jefferson, too. 

• Like (+1) 1

Rd 1. Stefon Diggs - A+ no explanation needed. Elite #1 WR who now has 2 all pros as a Bill

Rd 2. AJ Epenesa- C- . maybe less. For the 54th pick in the draft he has proven to be a JAG and has limited impact on a consistent basis 

Rd 4. Gabe Davis - B- . For a day 3 pick he has contributed nicely.  He def isn't the answer as an every down WR but is still a legit threat and nice piece to have. Good value

Rd 6. Isaiah Hodgins - D- . At least for us he was as he was never given the chance to touch the field.  Kinda like the Wyatt Teller pick. Kid has been balling for another team. 

Rd 7. Dane Jackson- A . For a 7th rder he has been exceptional in the #2 CB role and even #1 role for part of this year. Great value. Great pick.

Overall a solid draft. Probably a B  overall , 6 of 8 picks were offensive in this draft counting Bass. We got 4 starters out of it, including Gabe, which likely changes. But nonetheless very solid. 

But the AJ and Moss picks were huge misses on day 2 and stick out the most. If we hit on 1 or both of them this would've been a great draft class

I would change this a bit… first off, I would not include Diggs on this list.  He was not a draft pick.

2. AJ Epinesa C- 

Very uninspiring draft pick.  You can’t draft a player in RD2 only for his to be a JAG

3. Zach Moss D

He isn’t a horrible player and he had a few moments in Buffalo.  But the return they got out of a 3rd pick is so lopsided.  

4. Gabe Davis B+

If we’re grading on a curve here, Davis is at least a productive WR/WR3.  That’s great return for a 4th round pick.

5. Jake Fromm F

Not a good pick

6. Tyler Bass A 

One of the better kickers in the NFL

6. Isaiah Hodgins - D

His problem was that he could not beat out any other WR on the roster in 3 seasons.  Going to the WR depleted NYG was a great move for him.  

7. Dane Jackson - B

Great return for a 7th round pick.  But likely more of a depth corner than a starter.  

So overall, the significant picks from this draft were Davis and Bass - which means that Beane hit on one pick year.  That’s not good enough 

6 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

You couldn't have known that Jefferson would be available at that pick, or that Jefferson would be so much better than, say, Jalon Reagor.  This is Monday morning quarterbacking.  The reason why we traded for Diggs is because we knew with ~90% certainty that we were getting a blue chip star.  No such certainty with the draft.

This is why I always roll my eyes when people make this comparison.  It would be different if Beane made the trade on draft day and passed on JJ.  But that didn’t happen. 

He had the chance to acquire a sure fire WR1 rather than taking a chance in the draft and ending up with a player like Jalon Reagor.  

The deal worked out great for Buffalo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Very true. I was just using the rule all things stayed the same the Bills still get a top WR, perhaps even a better one. But who knows maybe your GM goes OLine instead.. 

Pretty much the same. Overall C+ not including Diggs, including Diggs then it is a B+. You got some average starters out of it but missed on a DE and RB you hoped could be more then being replacement level.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Question who would you rather have Diggs or Jefferson? The WR picked with the Bills draft pick.  IMO I’d want Jefferson as you would have had 3 cheap years with him to use on other positions. Mind you Diggs is a great WR just pointing out they had a cheaper way of getting an elite WR.

As of now Jefferson for exactly as you said but I think Diggs was crucial for Josh in 20 and 21 , just bringing that leadership and energy to the O was crucial in Allen becoming elite and we had legit chances at a SB every year he's been here

• Like (+1) 2

That’s a very solid draft overall. People forget how few draft picks actually work out. Too WR with Diggs via trade, back up DE, solid (if limited) starting WR, quality PK, great depth/decent spot starter at CB and a good depth WR we let go. Really tough to complain about this one. The big issue is that the two drafts since have not yielded much value. 

6 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

As of now Jefferson for exactly as you said but I think Diggs was crucial for Josh in 20 and 21 , just bringing that leadership and energy to the O was crucial in Allen becoming elite and we had legit chances at a SB every year he's been here

Great points! Funny isn’t it how the Vikings always draft great WR. They have Jefferson now, before Diggs and Theilen, before that Moss. Imagine how scary that team be with an Allen type taken at QB! But I degress, do you not think Allen to Jefferson been just as good the first two years?  I see what you mean by leadership, Diggs brought a lot of that with him too. 

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s a very solid draft overall. People forget how few draft picks actually work out. Too WR with Diggs via trade, back up DE, solid (if limited) starting WR, quality PK, great depth/decent spot starter at CB and a good depth WR we let go. Really tough to complain about this one. The big issue is that the two drafts since have not yielded much value. 

The 21 draft looks pretty bad. 3 out of 8 picks already off the team. Boogie and Doyle seem like busts. Hamlin was nice in the 6th. Hope Groot and Brown could take a step

This last draft I'm just not sure. It could be a good - great one depending how Elam Cook Shakir and Benford pan out. Lot of potential 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Great points! Funny isn’t it how the Vikings always draft great WR. They have Jefferson now, before Diggs and Theilen, before that Moss. Imagine how scary that team be with an Allen type taken at QB! But I degress, do you not think Allen to Jefferson been just as good the first two years?  I see what you mean by leadership, Diggs brought a lot of that with him too. 

Yea it's wild how they picked up great talents at WR. I think Allen would be in the same position now with Jefferson,  I don't know his personality off the field but I think Diggs bought a swagger to this whole offense off the field as well. Which has been important in what they built here as well as the relationship he has with Josh. I like that he gets in his face 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.