Given the 3 year rule. Analyzing the Bills 2020 draft..

JerseyBills

Rd 1. Stefon Diggs - A+ no explanation needed. Elite #1 WR who now has 2 all pros as a Bill

Rd 2. AJ Epenesa- C- . maybe less. For the 54th pick in the draft he has proven to be a JAG and has limited impact on a consistent basis 

RD 3. Zack Moss - F.  not on the team anymore and was unimpressive since day 1

Rd 4. Gabe Davis - B- . For a day 3 pick he has contributed nicely.  He def isn't the answer as an every down WR but is still a legit threat and nice piece to have. Good value

Rd 5. Jake Fromm - F. Complete waste of a pick. Total bust

Rd 6. Tyler Bass - A . One of the best kickers in the game.  Great pick

Rd 6. Isaiah Hodgins - D- . At least for us he was as he was never given the chance to touch the field.  Kinda like the Wyatt Teller pick. Kid has been balling for another team. 

Rd 7. Dane Jackson- A . For a 7th rder he has been exceptional in the #2 CB role and even #1 role for part of this year. Great value. Great pick.

Overall a solid draft. Probably a B  overall , 6 of 8 picks were offensive in this draft counting Bass. We got 4 starters out of it, including Gabe, which likely changes. But nonetheless very solid. 

But the AJ and Moss picks were huge misses on day 2 and stick out the most. If we hit on 1 or both of them this would've been a great draft class

How would yall rank this draft?

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Would certainly be better if we kept Hodgins. I really had higher hopes for Epenesa - I thought he showed some flashes early in the season, but then kind of disappeared again.

Good write-up. Agree w/ most of the assessments.  Not a bad draft, certainly - but not great. We need hit on more picks going forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Rd 1. Stefon Diggs - A+ no explanation needed. Elite #1 WR who now has 2 all pros as a Bill

Rd 2. AJ Epenesa- C- . maybe less. For the 54th pick in the draft he has proven to be a JAG and has limited impact on a consistent basis 

Rd 4. Gabe Davis - B- . For a day 3 pick he has contributed nicely.  He def isn't the answer as an every down WR but is still a legit threat and nice piece to have. Good value

Rd 6. Isaiah Hodgins - D- . At least for us he was as he was never given the chance to touch the field.  Kinda like the Wyatt Teller pick. Kid has been balling for another team. 

Rd 7. Dane Jackson- A . For a 7th rder he has been exceptional in the #2 CB role and even #1 role for part of this year. Great value. Great pick.

Overall a solid draft. Probably a B  overall , 6 of 8 picks were offensive in this draft counting Bass. We got 4 starters out of it, including Gabe, which likely changes. But nonetheless very solid. 

But the AJ and Moss picks were huge misses on day 2 and stick out the most. If we hit on 1 or both of them this would've been a great draft class

About the same

16 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I think it's a little harsh to give the Moss pick an F

He did play for the team for 2.5 years

The rest of it is pretty spot on, and overall it's a B, given that the 2nd & 3rd round picks won't be getting second contracts

It really is bizarre how Moss sort of fell off. If you look at the early part of last season, he was our best back. He was huge in the regular season win over the chiefs, including catching balls out of the backfield. 

No idea what happened.

I'm less impressed by the Diggs trade than you. Yes, he has performed marvelously. But the Vikes took Jefferson with the pick we gave them. Now they have a younger, cheaper, arguably better player, as well as that fourth round pick we also gave up. 

You want an eventual starter with your second- and third-round pick. Neither Epenesa nor Moss are/were close. Davis and Hodgins were both very good (not great) picks. Dane and Bass were both great picks. 

Beane has built a solid team but hasn't provided enough elite players. Allen, Diggs, Miller, Milano, Hyde. That's it. With the holes the roster has, this isn't enough. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Yes a good draft, Diggs who was a great acquisition was result of a trade of multiple draft picks. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Fair, but I wouldn't give Beane credit for simply identifying a known proven talent at his position.  We were fortunate that Diggs was persona-non-grata in Minnesota.  Minny used that pick for Jefferson, quite arguably better than Diggs.  Also, we threw in a few other day-three picks.  

Good transaction, just saying that I don't use it to credit Beane for being able to draft well.  

10 minutes ago, finn said:

I'm less impressed by the Diggs trade than you. Yes, he has performed marvelously. But the Vikes took Jefferson with the pick we gave them. Now they have a younger, cheaper, arguably better player, as well as that fourth round pick we also gave up. 

You want an eventual starter with your second- and third-round pick. Neither Epenesa nor Moss are/were close. Davis and Hodgins were both very good (not great) picks. Dane and Bass were both great picks. 

Beane has built a solid team but hasn't provided enough elite players. Allen, Diggs, Miller, Milano, Hyde. That's it. With the holes the roster has, this isn't enough. 

Milano wasn't drafted under Beane.   Also not sure that they brought Hyde on board while Beane was in charge.  Did they?  He too came in 2017, but as a FA.  

Edited by PBF81

I'd give Moss a D instead of an F,,, The F would go to McBeane on this guy.

Hodgins gets a C from me,,, Another failure of McBeane for being blind on this kid. He looks good in Jersey.

Dane Jackson I'd give a B instead of an A. He's played good, especially for a 7th round pick. I just think an A is too high of a grade.

Epenesa - He lost a ton of weight since he was drafted, maybe they should move him to LB or Safety.

• Agree 1

Rd 1 happy with the Diggs trade A+

Rd 2 Epenesa. Yuck. F. The pick here should have been Ezra Cleveland, who has turned into an excellent guard. AJ Dillon, Logan Wilson, Van Jefferson, Kristian Fulton or Jeremy Chinn would have been ideal as well. But with our OL need, Cleveland would be nice to have right now. I think they wanted Kyle Dugger and thought he would drop to them and got all screwed up when the Pats grabbed him early. 

Rd 3 Moss. F. Just yuck. I hate this pick, now and hated it then. The thing is that there isn’t a whole ton of talent that got picked right after him. Maybe Cam Dantzler, Devin Duvernay. Jonathan Greenard is better than AJ Epenesa and went right after. 

Rd 4 Davis - B. I am not a Davis guy, too many drops for me, but he outperforms most players picked in the 4th. They just missed on Kevin Dotson who is a very good guard for the Steelers and L’Jarius Sneed who is an important cog in the KC defense. But Davis pick was solid. 

Rd 5 - Fromm - F - A cheap long term backup for Josh? Sure its a solid idea. But they never committed to him and he was pretty bad. Wasted pick. They missed on Darnell Mooney, who has turned into an impact player on the Bears. 

Rd 6 Bass - B + Really good pick, but still a kicker. Jon Runyan, Quez Watkins, and Jordan Fuller went right after. An argument can be made for those guys. 

Rd 6 Giants legend Hodgins - F - again its an F because he did nothing for us. Yes we made a mistake releasing him, and I like him as a player but they had no plan to get him involved and its a failure. 

Rd 7 - Jackson- A - I am not a fan of his game, but to have made the contributions he has a 7th round pick is awesome and unlikely. 

UDFA we could have drafted instead of some of these guys:

P Tommy Townsend

QB Tyler Huntley

RB James Robinson

WR Marquez Callaway

G Calvin Throckmorton

WR Nick Westbrook-Ikhine

UDFA we signed who is still around: Reggie Gilliam

Antonio Williams is still in the NFL and Trey Adams was an interesting pick until he retired. 

Guys from that draft who are now in our program:

WR Isaiah Coulter

WR Dezmon Paton

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I'd give Moss a D instead of an F,,, The F would go to McBeane on this guy.

Hodgins gets a C from me,,, Another failure of McBeane for being blind on this kid. He looks good in Jersey.

Dane Jackson I'd give a B instead of an A. He's played good, especially for a 7th round pick. I just think an A is too high of a grade.

Epenesa - He lost a ton of weight since he was drafted, maybe they should move him to LB or Safety.

I don’t know if anyone deserves to be criticized over Hodgins. They say the best ability is availability and he didn’t meet that requirement his first two seasons and that led us to draft Shakir. If Hodgins was healthy his first 2 seasons the need for Shakir is probably out the window.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

you grade the players for the talent…not what they did for us. Giants took him because the knew more about him.

AJE is a D

Hodgins is an F. We let him hit waivers in favor of keeping guys like Taiwan Jones protected. That’s one of the larger gaffes in recent memory. 

I can’t give a draft a B where one pick is a traded player and the next 2 in the top 100 are underwhelming are trash. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I honestly don’t understand the amount of hate AJE gets.

As the 3rd DE AJ had 6.5 sacks, 7 run stuffs, 10 QB hits, and 5 PBUs.

He isn’t perfect and can be inconsistent, as many young players are, but we really get a good amount of impact play from our #3 DE. 

Honestly its bc he was a top 55 pick

9 sacks in 3 years for a second round pick isnt ideal

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.