What Are Your Expectations For The 2023 Season?

H2o

6 hours ago, H2o said:

I don't believe he is too laid back or casual at all. If anything, I think he gets too amped and takes too much of the weight upon himself to do extraordinary things. Another problem with that is outside of Diggs, the talent is very ordinary or below average. If you don't think Josh was crushed inside about losing to the Bengals then I don't know what to tell you. He is the ultimate competitor who has had to scratch and claw his way through everything during his life in sports. There was something off about the team. Hard to say what it was, but it's over now. Hopefully, we have better fortune with injuries next year and they do a thorough, good reshaping of the roster. 

That's why Josh's reaction on Brandt's basement surprised me slightly, but there's no doubt he's better at presenting a calm exterior than, say, Diggs! The feeling of beliving it's all of his back is something else which needs to be somehow removed from him though it's understandably why his trust in much of the offensive side of the ball isn't at it's highest.

The flatness of the Bills last week is confusing even now. As highly derided as it was, Saffold's comment adds up.

The Bills were outcoached and out played by the Bengals at HOME in their last game. No excuses, 27-10 was a beatdown by a team that showed big holes in the Bills O line, D line and secondary. The team was "Gassed"...for the most important home game in years? 

Buffalo with almost no run game, 11 rushes for 38 yards by Bills RB's. Josh had 8 for 26 with a total for 19 rushes for 64 yards. A 3.4 YPC AVG. Far, far too much pressure on the Buffalo QB to make the offense work. Look at Tom Brady (the GOAT) in his last game with little or no run game and a crappy O line...look familiar? Even his super fast release didn't save him.

Now, the Dolphins got better with their new DC hire. The Patriots got better with their new OC hire. The Jets might have gotten worse with their new OC hire...unless it draws Aaron Rodgers to them. All three division rivals have lesser QB's ATM. Now these teams have learned that the more pressure on Allen while containing him is their way to beat Buffalo. The Dolphins almost beat Buffalo with a backup to the backup to the backup QB. 31-34 with 7th round pick Skylar Thompson.

Both the Eagles and 49ers showed that you can win with a tough nosed run game and defense as long as you have a somewhat decent QB. Buffalo has IMO the very best QB in the league and yet demand from him more then he can handle at times. We all saw what Josh can do at the end of 2022 with a somewhat decent run attack and O line protecting him, unstoppable! 

Beane needs to go all out to building that Buffalo offensive line into a top unit. Suddenly they might find that the WR's, TE's, RB's on the roster are good enough. Give the best QB in the league better protection and build a decent ground game so he doesn't need to carry the team all the time. Gonna be a long season if Buffalo doesn't greatly upgrade that line. 

• Agree 1

On 1/29/2023 at 9:43 AM, JaCrispy said:

Divisional round exit…Sorry, but I just can’t see us getting by KC or Cincy at this point…Not to mention the up and coming Jags (and possible sleeper Cleveland)…I will need to see some major upgrades before I have that kind of confidence about this team…

The Steelers, Ravens, Jets with Rogers, Dolphins, Broncos can only go up...everyone will be better than us.

THe Chiefs took a step back, they had to trade Hill now they suck

On 1/29/2023 at 9:16 AM, John from Riverside said:

Let’s keep in mind that the bills were one of the top four teams in the league regardless

Those teams that are ahead of us are about to lose players just like we are

They’ve got cap problems just like we do

You just don’t know how was season is going to go we battled through some of the worst injuries I have seen in a long long time on this bills team and still won

Improvements need to be made but if you have a franchise QB, you’re always in it

Yep. 

Crazy to think about it this way, but most NFL games come down to making about 4 or 5 critical plays each game. The teams that make them more often end up 13-3, 12-5, while the ones who don't end up 4-13, 7-10, etc. 

Every season half the playoff teams from the prior season don't make it, and half make it from the outside. The talent level is so close among the 32 teams it's not funny. It's the teams with the top QBs who rarely fade out of it....the Bills should be ok next year unless Allen goes down.

My expectations are a wild card spot and that's about it. Like other on the board I think it's a big mistake to move forward with the same coordinators, though I'm not on the fire McDermott train just yet. I feel a lot of frustration because it seems like the organization is great at presenting a vision and pushing forward to realize that vision but it very very poor at making adjustments even when glaringly needed and that's at all levels:

• At the HC level we see things like rotating starters or letting people clearly not succeeding stay in starting positions when we clearly need to cut bait on them. We drafted Elam in the 1st and I think it's fair to say we wasted a lot of his development this season. 
  • At the coordinator level we are so concerned with being multiple that we don't pick a strength and dictate terms to the other team on either side of the ball.
    • Frazier's "bend don't break" defense only works if you can get sacks or turnovers, in games where we get neither, we are in trouble. 
    • Dorsey cannot call a game. Feels like he just lets Josh call whatever he wants. There is no concrete identity to the offense. We did not have a single complete game this year on offense, that is damning. 
  • At GM level we see BB consistently drafting BPA but it's not working out, you have to consider need a lot more. Boogie Basham and Bernard should never have been picked where they were when there were positions of greater need with good players left on the board. I like Beane's FA signings but his drafts have left a lot to be desired.

Then you have press conferences like we just saw from the GM where he basically said "we're gonna just keep moving forward with what we have, we don't have money to spend on big FAs, so we've basically just got who we've got." But at the same time he acknowledged we are behind other AFC teams, so basically we're just "hoping" we get better? I don't really know what the plan is here. 

On 1/29/2023 at 9:43 AM, Nextmanup said:

Actually, I wish someone would make a perpetual "blind cheerleading" thread.  Anyone who wants to be that sort of fan can post everything they write in that thread.

Example of blind cheer leading: Bills Mafia on Facebook. It's dominated by Karen's and Ken's. Make a negative Bills comment there and you get excoriated.

• Haha (+1) 1

My expectation is that that Beane told the truth in his post season presser.  We aren't as good as the Chiefs and Bengals, and their too many factors that will prevent him from improving the Bills to catch them.  I think it is clear, that the coaching staff will be retained, and their will be roster turnover.  The theme for the season will be that making the playoffs is a big accomplishment because of the roster turnover and that fans just need to give the coaches time to get the new players fully involved with the "process".   Because we have Josh Allen we will make the playoffs.  Because we have the current coaching staff we will exit the playoffs before the championship game.  2024 will be wash rinse and repeat.  After we exit anyone complaining will scolded by the superior fans "surely you don't wan't Jones back"

image.thumb.png.8ccb192952ec407f0810b5687b7ae271.png

Edited by Chaos

11 hours ago, entropyrules said:

that would be true except look at the two divisions they are playing next year as opposed to this year -  are you suggesting the NFC East is equivalent to the NFC Central? Same for the AFC West vs, the AFC North (this one I could see arguing they about the same overall but I give the edge to teh AFC West)

Road schedule is very tough. 4-4 is a very real possibility and may a tad optimistic (almost certainly worse if the Jets and/or Dolphins actually get a legit QB). 8-1 at home would be doable if a bit optimistic. 12-5 gets them maybe the 3 seed, which almost certainly means only one home playoff game. If Allen gets hurt all goes out the window, if OL and DL aren't much improved team could seriously regress. Even with its win streak at the end of the regular season the team looks less than stellar so significant improvement is needed to get the AFC Championship or SB.

15 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

My expectations are a wild card spot and that's about it. Like other on the board I think it's a big mistake to move forward with the same coordinators, though I'm not on the fire McDermott train just yet. I feel a lot of frustration because it seems like the organization is great at presenting a vision and pushing forward to realize that vision but it very very poor at making adjustments even when glaringly needed and that's at all levels:

• At the HC level we see things like rotating starters or letting people clearly not succeeding stay in starting positions when we clearly need to cut bait on them. We drafted Elam in the 1st and I think it's fair to say we wasted a lot of his development this season. 
  • At the coordinator level we are so concerned with being multiple that we don't pick a strength and dictate terms to the other team on either side of the ball.
    • Frazier's "bend don't break" defense only works if you can get sacks or turnovers, in games where we get neither, we are in trouble. 
    • Dorsey cannot call a game. Feels like he just lets Josh call whatever he wants. There is no concrete identity to the offense. We did not have a single complete game this year on offense, that is damning. 
  • At GM level we see BB consistently drafting BPA but it's not working out, you have to consider need a lot more. Boogie Basham and Bernard should never have been picked where they were when there were positions of greater need with good players left on the board. I like Beane's FA signings but his drafts have left a lot to be desired.

Then you have press conferences like we just saw from the GM where he basically said "we're gonna just keep moving forward with what we have, we don't have money to spend on big FAs, so we've basically just got who we've got." But at the same time he acknowledged we are behind other AFC teams, so basically we're just "hoping" we get better? I don't really know what the plan is here. 

This is where I’m at.

Who knew (other than most of us angered by it) that ‘13 Seconds’ FUBARed by McClapper might have been the pinnacle of reaching and winning the SB?

I am now very discouraged that Beanie will get it right in the Draft. Leading of course, to the Bills EXISTING players thinking… WTF. Why am I staying with this org and having to put up with this horrendous ***** show weather- to boot?

Maybe, that’s too harsh, but it won’t be, if KC & Cinci continue to excel, the Chargers (with a new HC), the Jags and at least 4 other AFC improved teams are nipping at our heels!

Josh needs a decent OLine & a legit WR2. Dunno if Hines can $ stay, but he’s another addition for Allen,as a Poor Man’s McCaffrey- the one that Beane failed to get! What a waste not getting Hines into the O.

And if you can’t get pressure Sacks or Turnovers, this D is in big trouble. Totally agree with that.

The Bills problem is that they finally have their QB, but are at least 6 players short elsewhere. Just as they were in all the trash years of this Millenium- always needing 2 for every person who left.

On 1/29/2023 at 10:32 PM, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I am not expecting much from the Buffalo Bills in 2023 in the hunt maybe sneak into a wildcard playoff berth if things go well. I think the Bills will lose heavily in free agency and the London trip is another problem wearing down the Bills players the extra travel. If things do well 10-7 if things go bad 9-8 or 8-9 for the Bills 2023 record so far. Things could change depending on how badly the Bills are hit with the free agent losses. The Bills are in trouble in an improving AFC East division. I see the Bills third behind New England and Miami right now. Coaching is also a big part of that. I have zero belief in Sean McDermott after the two years of a Super Bowl team he wasted. The Bills need to try and get back to these last two years talent wise by 2026 when the new Bills stadium opens in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

This post is filled with so much negativity. Miami I can somewhat understand (actually not really) but you honestly think New England is going to overtake the Bills in the AFCE? And the Bills will possibly go 8-9??? Come on bro. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.