What Are Your Expectations For The 2023 Season?

H2o

On 1/29/2023 at 9:35 AM, Drew21PA said:

One of either here

1 playing with more aggressiveness because jobs are on the line - better coaching decisions and better front office accountability

2.  Wheels fall off and we are starting fresh in February 2024

We will see what “McBeane” regime is made of this year with their backs against the wall

think about it this is it.  New stadium better have something to cheer for with those new ticket and concession prices ….

Ownership backed itself into the wall threatening a move to Austin and blinked.  When they pulled a move like that when they knew better then to try and threaten moving to creating a three team Texas fan base they bluffed knowing they’d lose in ticket sales to Houston and Dallas.  They’d be caught up as a minor league system again.  

2 minutes ago, DC Greg said:

Super Bowl. As long as JA is QB we will compete every year. I hope Beane puts the pieces around him (i.e. basically a whole new offensive line) that will have us better positioned come divisional round next year.

Don’t think Beane’s ever really been sold on McDermott.  Every GM has their dream coach and thus far he’s been having to compete with a defensive minded Coach.  Allen has such a great career if Sean collapses next season it’ll be a soft rebuild on the coaching staff.  

I expect OBD to work that season as if every single one of their jobs in that building come 2024 depends on a Super Bowl appearance.  

The collegial, "aw shucks, we'll get the gang to work harder" is no longer satisfactory.  Time to show the baby.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

The process has been trusted to death. Enough already. 

We’ve seen the process through I think McDermott knows historically he’s either going to drop off the face of the earth.  Or, he’s going to win it all and leave fans with humble pie.  He’ll just be a rebuilding Coach and that’s where he’ll be sticking to a career path.  Like Marty or Dan Reeves it’ll be perhaps looking at the Bengals OC as most offensive minded Coach run a much more aggressive and tailored defense.  The Bills don’t have that luxury of waiting for McDermott suddenly finding out he can be more aggressive if we’re out of the playoffs and playing spoiler after such a massive improvement over the drought years.  

I’ll chime in after FA and the draft.  At this point, as long as McD is sincere about the honesty comment in his post-season presser, Super Bowl.  Fix the o-line, re-tool the WR room, and hope that we outscore teams and the D is good enough with tweaks in coaching and philosophy.  Also, I suspect we’ve reached the stage in the “culture” process at which we’re going to see some scumbags come into the locker room because they have a desirable combination of talent and economy. 

Maybe I’ll feel differently by the start of next season but as of now I’m kind of at the point where I feel like we’ve gone as far as we can with Frazier as DC. I feel like we’ve seen his ceiling and I’ll expect another heartbreaking playoff loss if he’s retained.

Add to that the Bills cap situation for next year and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the team regress. Too soon to say though before we see what moved they make.

11 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I’ll chime in after FA and the draft.  At this point, as long as McD is sincere about the honesty comment in his post-season presser, Super Bowl.  Fix the o-line, re-tool the WR room, and hope that we outscore teams and the D is good enough with tweaks in coaching and philosophy.  Also, I suspect we’ve reached the stage in the “culture” process at which we’re going to see some scumbags come into the locker room because they have a desirable combination of talent and economy. 

This is the best case scenario.

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

Maybe I’ll feel differently by the start of next season but as of now I’m kind of at the point where I feel like we’ve gone as far as we can with Frazier as DC. I feel like we’ve seen his ceiling and I’ll expect another heartbreaking playoff loss if he’s retained.

Add to that the Bills cap situation for next year and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the team regress. Too soon to say though before we see what moved they make.

And this is the most likely case.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

This is the best case scenario.

I’m an optimist by nature.  And I believe that if you’re not failing, you’re not trying.  We gotta be smart and defiant in the face of defeat.  The best path forward is to double down on Josh, hope that some scheme tweaks are enough on D, and keep on pounding on that rock.  It will break one day.  And the harder we hit it, the sooner it will break.  Never, ever give up. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly I won't know how I feel until we get free agency, draft, how schedule lays out, etc...

They have some holes specifically at WR/OL that I need to see improvement on to feel better, but overall they are running back a lot of the same guys.

My current feeling is lukewarm based off where they are at this moment personal and coach wise and they feel like a team who may have a down year where it is a wildcard team. But again so much needs to happen across the board it is pointless to put a target or goal up. They have Allen so I expect them to be a playoff team and have a shot yearly because of it, how I feel about that shot will change as the offseason progresses.

1 hour ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

We’ve seen the process through I think McDermott knows historically he’s either going to drop off the face of the earth.  Or, he’s going to win it all and leave fans with humble pie.  He’ll just be a rebuilding Coach and that’s where he’ll be sticking to a career path.  Like Marty or Dan Reeves it’ll be perhaps looking at the Bengals OC as most offensive minded Coach run a much more aggressive and tailored defense.  The Bills don’t have that luxury of waiting for McDermott suddenly finding out he can be more aggressive if we’re out of the playoffs and playing spoiler after such a massive improvement over the drought years.  

I’m not all sure what McD knows anymore. I’ve seen the same thing in the business world. He had enough smarts to figure out how to build a GOOD team, he’s had no experience with leading a GREAT team. I fear this leadership style and unfortunately, his integrity, are going to get in the way of him making the really difficult personnel decisions both on the roster and the coaching staff. In the meantime we’ll flirt with winning a bunch of games until Josh is bruised, bored, and broken. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

With Allen's cap hit now part of the equation I am at a similar point. They should be a playoff team yearly as long as Josh is healthy, but where they go with that fluctuates so much. Right now if they try running again back a similar group and unit it just feels like a burnout Ravens esq where you can compete but your fighting with less of a full deck by your own doing.

Edited by corta765
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I’m an optimist by nature.  And I believe that if you’re not failing, you’re not trying.  We gotta be smart and defiant in the face of defeat.  The best path forward is to double down on Josh, hope that some scheme tweaks are enough on D, and keep on pounding on that rock.  It will break one day.  And the harder we hit it, the sooner it will break.  Never, ever give up. 

The past 2 seasons were their best shot. Now with the cap space and so many holes I think they regress for a few seasons. They will be a playoff team but don't see them being in the upper tier til the cap issues are fixed. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not all sure what McD knows anymore. I’ve seen the same thing in the business world. He had enough smarts to figure out how to build a GOOD team, he’s had no experience with leading a GREAT team. I fear this leadership style and unfortunately, his integrity, are going to get in the way of him making the really difficult personnel decisions both on the roster and the coaching staff. In the meantime we’ll flirt with winning a bunch of games until Josh is bruised, bored, and broken. 

Looking at the pressers his body language and confidence are gone.  I don’t think the Pegula’s last meeting was personable.  No more smirks, sneers, and or trusting the process.  Ike he’s been told they’ve decided in the future for the season ahead to monitor and scout offensive minded Coaches.  

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

The past 2 seasons were their best shot. Now with the cap space and so many holes I think they regress for a few seasons. They will be a playoff team but don't see them being in the upper tier til the cap issues are fixed. 

If you look at Manning, Brady, Big Ben, Rodgers, Brees once they got paid they all had years where sometimes you felt like "wow their team looks really good this year" and other years the looked more mortal as a result of losing players with the cap crunch or some not ideal drafting left a roster more barren then other years. That is where the Bills are now, how they address the issues this offseason will dictate many people's feelings. If they add a truly good OL or two and draft a top WR with Edmunds still here I probably will feel good with the team on paper even with some attrition losing Poyer and some others (Dorsey and Frazier a whole different issue, hope to god Dorsey evolves/Frazier should've been canned). But if they run back a similar offense without much added, Edmunds and Poyer leaves, etc.. probably will feel more like a down year. Regardless it is the nature of having a top QB, the last 3-4 years the roster was relatively fit with no real holes and you could use the resources as you wanted. Now you have to pick carefully and hitting a draft can create a potentially stronger roster, but missing and you really are scrapping to fill the gaps. Jeremy White on WGR has brought up how the best QB's go through 3-4 different core's of players in their career, Josh is probably entering a new one as Poyer will most likely join Brown, Beasley, and a few lesser players of ex Bills. Wouldn't be surprised if Morse is cut if he won't rework his deal.

Long story short hitting for a real on guys in this draft and next would be pretty big towards giving the team some options roster wise again with money and cap help.

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

If you look at Manning, Brady, Big Ben, Rodgers, Brees once they got paid they all had years where sometimes you felt like "wow their team looks really good this year" and other years the looked more mortal as a result of losing players with the cap crunch or some not ideal drafting left a roster more barren then other years. That is where the Bills are now, how they address the issues this offseason will dictate many people's feelings. If they add a truly good OL or two and draft a top WR with Edmunds still here I probably will feel good with the team on paper even with some attrition losing Poyer and some others (Dorsey and Frazier a whole different issue, hope to god Dorsey evolves/Frazier should've been canned). But if they run back a similar offense without much added, Edmunds and Poyer leaves, etc.. probably will feel more like a down year. Regardless it is the nature of having a top QB, the last 3-4 years the roster was relatively fit with no real holes and you could use the resources as you wanted. Now you have to pick carefully and hitting a draft can create a potentially stronger roster, but missing and you really are scrapping to fill the gaps. Jeremy White on WGR has brought up how the best QB's go through 3-4 different core's of players in their career, Josh is probably entering a new one as Poyer will most likely join Brown, Beasley, and a few lesser players of ex Bills. Wouldn't be surprised if Morse is cut if he won't rework his deal.

Long story short hitting for a real on guys in this draft and next would be pretty big towards giving the team some options roster wise again with money and cap help.

With the cap situation we are in, I fully expect Edmunds to be elsewhere next year. Too much money to pay him what the market is at and WAY too much money to use the FT on him. 

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I just hope we don't get relegated to the XFL.

Most of the responses in this thread are truly pathetic.  Have fun wallowing in your filth and misery, you irredeemable clowns.

I will spend the rest of the winter watching the Sabres making the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

With the cap situation we are in, I fully expect Edmunds to be elsewhere next year. Too much money to pay him what the market is at and WAY too much money to use the FT on him. 

I would agree but Beane is super big on keeping guys they drafted. I think Buffalo is going to do everything they can to sign him because of that. If Chicago doesn't get him as I have read they may have interest, I can see him staying.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.