It’s obvious what ails the Bills, they’re softer than custard.

Tipster19

Haha I love all this tough guy bravado talk from so many, it’s hilarious! Especially when you throw in comments like “we need guys with attitudes like Incognito or Feliciano!” First of all, Incognito-yikes!!! Second, Feliciano sucked something fierce but he brought attitude and a mean streak, whatever that means. 

Reading lots of praise for Diggs (understandably) but screaming at people isn’t the only way to show passion. OBJ shows “passion” but people on here crush him and call him a diva, bad teammate, blah blah blah. Just because they are making a demonstration doesn’t mean they aren’t passionate about what they’re doing. I’ve heard for years how Quentin Nelson barely says a thing during a game and you would hardly know what’s going on if you watched his facial expressions, but you can’t tell me that guy isn’t passionate about playing football. Joe Montana, same thing

i think many of you confuse skill level with being soft. The teams went through a ton this year and it does have an effect-that being said to do as well as they did, win as many close games as they did (which was the big knock on them last year) shows how mentally tough they are. If you want to talk scheme and all that I’m on board with that, but this argument that the players are soft has no merit at all

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You know, I was thinking about this the other day we need players that played with incognitos intensity without being total nutcase is off the field

There’s a WR from Tennessee in the draft named Jaylin Hyatt…Not only is he a beast, but I see that same kind of aggression that Diggs is known for…He probably won’t last til our 2nd pick, but something to consider…I could see him being the future 1B we desperately need…👍

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

It stings but it’s true. Good guys, good, go home and play with the kids! Beane, quit playing Santa Claus and handing out Pegula’s money. McDermott, stand up and take accountability, admit that it all begins with you. Force Josh to take care of the ball better! He put it on the carpet 16 times! Thank God we only lost it 6 times out of it. Furthermore make him take the underneath throws more instead of launching it 40+ yards when it’s 3rd and 7! Hey Josh, quit with the advertisements and get your head back into playing QB and pay attention to the above suggestions.

The only physical player outside of Josh, who I might add is an offensive player, is Milano. I loved it when he hammered Miami’s QB Thompson as he was just about about out of bounds, especially that he did it right in front of their bench and didn’t give 2 hoots about it. He sent a message to them alright but better yet he showed the 2 idiots that were chasing out of bounds. 

Beane, get some players in here that are physical, quit making Feliciano look like a genius. When it comes to football this is the kind of mentality that the Bills sorely need. Coffee is for closers!

I said the very same thing the day of the loss. This has been the second time in the McD era we get bullied and manhandled in a playoff game. I dont know how to fix that though. At least not from one season to the next…

This is nonsense; this came up a few years ago as I recall after we ran into some opposition.

"Gotta get tougher."

Nope, gotta get better...and SMARTER.

Here's the rub: with the same coaches, it will be a LOT harder to get smarter, and with the same coordinators running the same offense/defense, it will be hard to get BETTER too.

Maybe personnel changes alone can do it.  I hope so.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I read an article this morning that the Bengals intentionally target players with big game CFP experience. That’s part of their MO.  Doesn’t make them more physical necessarily, but they feel it gives them an edge in big playoff games. Kind of interesting.  Of course having Burrow makes it all go.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I have a personal moratorium on critizing Allen.  Sure, he fumbles, he throws unnecessary INTs, but he also shoulders the load for this entire team, coaching, the entire offense, leadership.  For every bad play there are 4 or 5 spectacular ones.  If he's not on the team we win may one division game and 4-6 games total, making that "last 20 years" look like a championship run.  That's how poorly Beane has done.  

As to "good guys," you hit on something.  McD is a players coach, just like Levy was.  If we had Parcells, Johnson, or Gibbs back then, with our collection of talent, which Polian said was special, we'd have won one or more SBs.  

As long as we have a players coach, and not a tactician and a coach that knows how to do his part to win on Sundays besides simply standing there clapping and handing out "attaboys," we're in the same boat.  ... except that this team can't even find its way to a Super Bowl.  

Here's my thing, the owners, coaches, and players all treat it like a business.  At the end of the day they even tell us, it's business first.  So why is it that for fans we're supposed to "have understanding" as if we've all been given free tix and merchandise and should merely be grateful for being able to attend or watch.  

Beane's and McD's complete lack of action following this season, and I would even have argued after last season, is a slap in the face to the business side of the fan experience.  Many HCs would have fired their DC who seems to go on a mental vacation as soon as the regular season ends, and stated as much (i.e. 'we need someone that can get us to that next level' or whatever drivel they want), but here in Buffalo they fire the position guy that had his two starters out, one all season, the other for much of it and injured the rest of the time and playing more inspired football than most of the other players on the team.  Yeah, that makes sense and isn't an insult to fans.  It'll sure send a message to the rest of the coaching staff to get us to that next level.  SMH  

"Good guys" is right.  Since we want to run a boys club fraternity instead of a football team, OK, but we're never going to be competitive, particularly now going forward with the huge contracts, the swing-and-a-miss of Miller's I won't even go into now. 

I also won't mention Beane who should be on his knees every night before a statue of Allen on his mantlepiece thanking God that at least Allen worked out.  LMAO, can you imagine our offense without Allen?  I have an impossible time not thinking it wouldn't rank DFL. 

So good guys, ... yup!   So I guess it's a business, .... until it's no longer a business.  

Come on, man. Any team that loses it’s qb who is top 5 in the league would struggle. Beane was the one who drafted Allen and he should be on his knees?!? Without Beane, Josh could have ended up in Arizona like the other Josh. Allen is lucky too. He went to a well run organization. If you want to imagine him not here, go ahead. Makes absolutely zero sense. Zero. 
As to your 4th paragraph, it is a business 1st. No one is acting like you got free tix or free anything. Don’t like it, spend your money elsewhere. It will always be a business…entertainment business. Some here sound like they take this too personally. Y’all can’t stew all you want. I’m enjoying this team. 

McDermott was passed over many times for HC positions, and I would bet that his soft coaching mentality came through in his interviews.

I hate to beat the guy up as he seems like a man of character, and he has done well for us besides the playoff failures, but we have to stop pretending that he's the guy for this team if we ever want to truly have a shot to win it all

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

People are talking about toughness and all that.  I think toughness is the wrong word- it’s intensity that we lack.  

watch Christian mccaffrey run.  The guy runs with a such intensity and fury .  It’s easily noticeable that something if different with him.  You’ll never see motor or moss or cook run like that.

but you can block like that too(incognito did) Tackle like that too(the best LBs do).  Rush the passer like that too(Bosa, JJWatt, Donald…).

Milano blitzes like that most times, but no one else on our team plays at that level.   They don’t have to be as talented but they can play with that intensity.  I do blame that on coaching.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, peterpan said:

People are talking about toughness and all that.  I think toughness is the wrong word- it’s intensity that we lack.  

watch Christian mccaffrey run.  The guy runs with a such intensity and fury .  It’s easily noticeable that something if different with him.  You’ll never see motor or moss or cook run like that.

but you can block like that too(incognito did) Tackle like that too(the best LBs do).  Rush the passer like that too(Bosa, JJWatt, Donald…).

Milano blitzes like that most times, but no one else on our team plays at that level.   They don’t have to be as talented but they can play with that intensity.  I do blame that on coaching.

I would suggest Josh Allen is as intense a player as any in the NFL. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Haha I love all this tough guy bravado talk from so many, it’s hilarious! Especially when you throw in comments like “we need guys with attitudes like Incognito or Feliciano!” First of all, Incognito-yikes!!! Second, Feliciano sucked something fierce but he brought attitude and a mean streak, whatever that means. 

Reading lots of praise for Diggs (understandably) but screaming at people isn’t the only way to show passion. OBJ shows “passion” but people on here crush him and call him a diva, bad teammate, blah blah blah. Just because they are making a demonstration doesn’t mean they aren’t passionate about what they’re doing. I’ve heard for years how Quentin Nelson barely says a thing during a game and you would hardly know what’s going on if you watched his facial expressions, but you can’t tell me that guy isn’t passionate about playing football. Joe Montana, same thing

i think many of you confuse skill level with being soft. The teams went through a ton this year and it does have an effect-that being said to do as well as they did, win as many close games as they did (which was the big knock on them last year) shows how mentally tough they are. If you want to talk scheme and all that I’m on board with that, but this argument that the players are soft has no merit at all

When you get manhandled at the LOS by 3rd stringers that’s not a talent problem - thats a lack of physicality problem. That’s another team wanting it more kind of problem. Call it mentally soft or physically soft or both. But call it what it is. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Why do people single out one person on a team of 53 like psshh this one guy isn't so that must mean everyone isn't.  Having to dig through the entire roster to get maybe 5 players that play with passion is pretty bad. 

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I agree.  QB is a different animal.  You really are forced to be calm, it’s not a physical position like all the others.  as far as QB goes tho, he is about as intense as you can get.

3 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Why do people single out one person on a team of 53 like psshh this one guy isn't so that must mean everyone isn't.  Having to dig through the entire roster to get maybe 5 players that play with passion is pretty bad. 

Context and reading comprehension can be important things to understand. My response was to someone who posited that Milano was the only intense guy on the team.  I did not have to name all the others (Diggs, Hyde, Miller, Poyer, White, Hamlin, Milano).  Will you be able to provide a list of a team of with 22 intense starters? What is the normal number of intense starters? I am pretty sure if your DC instructs you to play 10 yards off the LOS on a third and five, it becomes fairly tough to play intensely.  Truth be told, I doubt anyone lasts more than a few plays as an NFL starter without being tough and intense. 

Just now, The Firebaugh Kid said:

They are definitely soft. It starts with the offensive and defensive lines.

I think you are confuslng lack of talent with softness. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Nah… it’s even more obvious than that. 

It’s pretty simple, Von Miller was the missing piece. We needed a rush and before he was hurt we were like third in the league at qb pressures. We looked excellent. After the injury, we were in the mid 20’s and our db’s were getting picked on with the lack of rush. 

When he went down so did our SB hopes. It’s as easy as that. 

Now we’re going to lose a bunch of pieces and it’ll take a magical effort from Beane in the offseason to keep this train rolling.

I know that simplification lacks the drama of “softer than custard” but it’s the truth. That “don’t blink” motto he brought to the team resonated with them. Once he was off the sidelines and field to remind them, they got caught blinking. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, peterpan said:

It would be nice if we had a more intense coaching staff.  Intensity inspires intensity.  Frazier is about as inspiring as a root canal.

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

So, if we get Al Pacino's Lt. Col. Frank Slade (Scent of a Woman) to punch Alec Baldwin's Blake (Glengarry Glen Ross) in da mouf, we make it to the Super Bowl? 🤔

Not sure, but I support Alec Baldwin getting punched in the mouth. :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

It stings but it’s true. Good guys, good, go home and play with the kids! Beane, quit playing Santa Claus and handing out Pegula’s money. McDermott, stand up and take accountability, admit that it all begins with you. Force Josh to take care of the ball better! He put it on the carpet 16 times! Thank God we only lost it 6 times out of it. Furthermore make him take the underneath throws more instead of launching it 40+ yards when it’s 3rd and 7! Hey Josh, quit with the advertisements and get your head back into playing QB and pay attention to the above suggestions.

The only physical player outside of Josh, who I might add is an offensive player, is Milano. I loved it when he hammered Miami’s QB Thompson as he was just about about out of bounds, especially that he did it right in front of their bench and didn’t give 2 hoots about it. He sent a message to them alright but better yet he showed the 2 idiots that were chasing out of bounds. 

Beane, get some players in here that are physical, quit making Feliciano look like a genius. When it comes to football this is the kind of mentality that the Bills sorely need. Coffee is for closers!

I’ve had a manager or two like that with us.  Thankfully Inwas a bit better, but it makes a point.  That was a great movie as was Boiler Room. 

It’s true we need to toughen up and I’m a homer as much as the next guy.  Getting pushed around by some teams though was pathetic.  Some players need to get smacked on the mouth.  Players who have an attitude like Hines who is almost reckless with his body and why he explosives at times on ST.  You have to be a little touched in the head to return punts and kicks.  The reason he takes it home is he plays without fear.

My favorite sound as a kid was a slap to the mat by the ref.  Never once was I pinned and I pinned most of my oponents.  Why?  Because I wasn’t just good and disciplined,  it would go farther than my oponent to win and demoralize them with a pin.  I’m sure we have a number of guys on this team currently with that shark attitude, but we need this to be our culture.  Don’t just win, demoralize them unapologetically so they fear you the next time they play you.  We’ve done that successfully with the Cheats.  We need more of that attitude with all opponents.

So for all of my positivity normally, I agree. Bury you’re opponent at every turn.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.