MERGE WITH OTHER THREAD

Rigotz

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I didn't like the pick at any point. He wasn't a player I had watched or evaluated pre-draft tbh he wasn't even a player on my radar. 

My theory on the thinking when I watched some of his film after the draft was they believed he could be a sideline to sideline linebacker in the NFL and in a team like Buffalo or Philadelphia for example that basically only ever have 2 linebackers on the field that is a valuable asset. 

However, he has looked desperately disappointing every time he has taken the field. Slow and out of position whenever he is asked to go laterally and more like a younger AJ Klein who you can only use in straight lines attacking the line of scrimmage. 

Really odd use of a 3rd rounder. I never write picks off after 1 year but not sure I see the route to this pick working out.

See that is what I thought based on Baylor film. He has not looked like that could evet be possible based on his play so far for the Bills (regular and pre-season).

I don’t watch film, so my observations of this guy are based on game play, and specifically pre-season game play.  He’s obviously undersized,  and he plays surprisingly slow.  I thought Spector played faster than Bernard in the PS.  Maybe the hope was to use him on ST, have him in an NFL SC program last year and this offseason,  and get him primed to be LB3 this year and an eventual Milano replacement.  

I don’t know.  Based on this year’s performance, I have no idea what’s next for him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I’ve never cared when a guy was drafted. Once you make the team, you’ve made the team. Specifically with regard to Bernard, the Bills don’t use a lot of LBs and we didn’t see too many injuries to either Milano or Edmunds, so I’m not sure where people wanted Bernard to play? He needs live action reps, and lots of them, before a judgement can be made. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, finn said:

Just for fun, we should establish which player this board wants in each round at the moment of the pick and post the results for all to see. I think we would have missed on Allen, but we might have hit on many others, including Parham over Bernard, Humphrey over Basham, and Metcalf over Ford. Of course, I would take Allen over all of these players combined. 

I wasn't that high on Allen to be honest. Beane and the scouting staff hit a grand slam. That pick transformed the Bills into a winning team and playoff contender for years. Hopefully it leads to a Super Bowl win. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Yes, I know he looked terrible this season in limited play.

3rd rounder in a potential Super Bowl year.

We needed OL and WR badly.

Why did we draft him?

The Bills play a base 4-2-5 defense… 4 down linemen, two linebackers, 5 DBs including a Nickel (Taron) who acts as a linebacker at times. Was Bernard intended as insurance against a Taron or Edmunds injury? Was he intended to be used as a core special teamer and traditional OLB in 4-3 looks?

I didn’t understand this pick at the time and still don’t … unless it was always the plan to groom him to replace Edmunds… which also seems odd in a SB year.

So… what do you think was the ideal outcome Beane had in mind?

Try to keep the snarky/defeatist answers to a minimum.

Also seems odd in a SB year to have a rookie OC and punt from the 35 before half in the divisional round of the playoffs. This team is a joke. They put themselves in win now mode but leave other parts of the team as a work in progress. McDermott & Beane are honestly to worried about people’s emotions & feelings more then winning. N they have done a bunch of ***** that contradicts each other. Need to clean house. N Beane will be fired next year as well for not cleaning house this year. McDermott will never win a SB. EVER. 

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I wasn't that high on Allen to be honest. Beane and the scouting staff hit a grand slam. That pick transformed the Bills into a winning team and playoff contender for years. Hopefully it leads to a Super Bowl win. 

Will never win with the current coaching staff. PERIOD. And the same thing is in true Buffalo Bills fashion we gonna rock out with McDermott until our SB window is closed. Honestly this was the best put together team. And since they beat the chiefs earlier in the season they’ve placed sloppy, undisciplined, & unmotivated football. 

Edited by Rebel101
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Yes, I know he looked terrible this season in limited play.

3rd rounder in a potential Super Bowl year.

We needed OL and WR badly.

Why did we draft him?

The Bills play a base 4-2-5 defense… 4 down linemen, two linebackers, 5 DBs including a Nickel (Taron) who acts as a linebacker at times. Was Bernard intended as insurance against a Taron or Edmunds injury? Was he intended to be used as a core special teamer and traditional OLB in 4-3 looks?

I didn’t understand this pick at the time and still don’t … unless it was always the plan to groom him to replace Edmunds… which also seems odd in a SB year.

So… what do you think was the ideal outcome Beane had in mind?

Try to keep the snarky/defeatist answers to a minimum.

We should have drafted Nakobe Dean in round 2 instead of Cook.  The only reason why he's not starting in Philly is because TJ Edwards is ahead of him on the depth chart.  He would have started in the middle here giving flexibility with Edmunds.  It would have given us three solid starting LBs after Miller went down.  That's the risk when you shoot-the-moon on a 33-year old LB.  We didn't realize the benefit, we absorbed the risks with Von Miller's signing.  I for one would enjoy seeing what Edmunds could do on the edge regularly.  

Edited by PBF81

I thought the Bills had one of the deepest rosters in the league. 

1. Either we truly don’t. 
2. We do but numerous key injuries played a role. 
3. We do but several players underperformed + key injuries. 
4. #3 + #2 + our coaching staff did not do enough to bring out the talent. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

We should have drafted Nakobe Dean in round 2 instead of Cook.  The only reason why he's not starting in Philly is because TJ Edwards is ahead of him on the depth chart.  He would have started in the middle here giving flexibility with Edmunds.  It would have given us three solid starting LBs after Miller went down.  That's the risk when you shoot-the-moon on a 33-year old LB.  We didn't realize the benefit, we absorbed the risks with Von Miller's signing.  I for one would enjoy seeing what Edmunds could do on the edge regularly.  

Nah we should have drafted Devin Lloyd in the first, in the second Luke Fortner, Nicholas Petit-Frere, or Abraham Lucas instead of Cook. Then Rachaad White in the 3rd and probably Tariq Woolen with the 4th we traded to move up two spots for Elam. Revisionist, but this was a terrible draft in 2022 and with how great a draft the Giants had, Joe Schoen was a big loss. 

Malcom Rodriguez in the 6th is better than Bernard. 

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I don’t watch film, so my observations of this guy are based on game play, and specifically pre-season game play.  He’s obviously undersized,  and he plays surprisingly slow.  I thought Spector played faster than Bernard in the PS.  Maybe the hope was to use him on ST, have him in an NFL SC program last year and this offseason,  and get him primed to be LB3 this year and an eventual Milano replacement.  

I don’t know.  Based on this year’s performance, I have no idea what’s next for him. 

That’s what they used to say about me in my college rugby days: “he may be small, but he’s slow!” 

12 hours ago, LEBills said:

The reason is because McDermott is very close to Baylor HC and Bernard was a very good teammate with some talent.

Not a good pick imo as you can see from my post history but McDermott takes his connections’ recommendations very seriously. For example, Baylors HC Aranda was the LSU DC when we drafted Tre. 

IMO Bernard, being a ‘process acolyte’, was a Big Game Sean pick, again wanting more toys for his baby, the defense, and again sacrificing much needed help for JA aka ‘the franchise’.

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Nah we should have drafted Devin Lloyd in the first, in the second Luke Fortner, Nicholas Petit-Frere, or Abraham Lucas instead of Cook. Then Rachaad White in the 3rd and probably Tariq Woolen with the 4th we traded to move up two spots for Elam. Revisionist, but this was a terrible draft in 2022 and with how great a draft the Giants had, Joe Schoen was a big loss. 

Malcom Rodriguez in the 6th is better than Bernard. 

Are you joking?  Lloyd I didn't know anything about until I just looked him up, but he started all season and provided even less for Jax than most of Beane's rookies do.  Nakobe Dean was a monster at UGA.  He's going to be an incredible starter for years at MLB once he gets in there.  

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Are you joking?  Lloyd I didn't know anything about until I just looked him up, but he started all season and provided even less for Jax than most of Beane's rookies do.  Nakobe Dean was a monster at UGA.  He's going to be an incredible starter for years at MLB once he gets in there.  

I don’t care about  PFF data. You didn’t know anything about Lloyd? Really? Edmunds at the edge?

Anyway, Lloyd played 80% of the defensive snaps, a lot of which came next to another rookie in Chad Muma for a playoff team. Dean is an undersized player who sat the bench and still got hurt (his durability was always a concern.) 

One guy played and flashed in the NFL. One guy sat the bench and still got hurt and was really good in college. i am definitely not the one joking here

Edited by MrEpsYtown

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I didn't like the pick to begin with as Bernard was not on anyone's radar as a 3rd Round Pick. When you "reach" for someone on Day 2 - you need them to show why they were worth it in fit or style. He absolutely didn't. 

As for WR - the good news is at that point I had Khalil Shakir as the best available WR on the board. And we were able to still get him at the top of Round 5. I remember telling myself "well, if you switch out 3rd and 5ths - it looks a lot better".

Unfortunately, it's pretty obvious we should have went with Dylan Parham there, who went the very next pick and shouldn't have been there in the first place and started all 17 games for the Raiders.

It’s really unfortunate that good interior linemen went one pick after two of our most head scratching picks. Two years ago…creed Humphrey went one pick after picking Basham. He’s now a pro bowl center. Last year…Parham went one pick after bernard. He made the all rookie team. Meanwhile…interior oline is arguably our biggest weakness two years later. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, 947 said:

I think they went into the draft thinking this would be Edmunds' last year as a Bill. They liked him & thought after they could get him ready to play LB with a redshirt year. It sure seems like a failed plan at this point, but who knows.

The problem I have with it, is why draft a guy in the 3rd round that you could've gotten in the 4th or maybe even 5th? Beane may have had a 2nd round grade on him, but he should've known most teams looked at him as a Day 3 pick. I have no problem with getting your guy, but value matters. This decision likely cost us a 3rd round OG who could've supplanted Saffold.

Could have taken a S too. Kerby Joseph and Nick Cross were selected in the 3rd after Bernard.

Bernard fits their general LB profile. Small, quick etc. I think they did want to groom him to potentially replace Edmunds. Perhaps the idea of two Matt Milanos in the defense was a consideration. Didn't like the pick then or now.

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don’t care about  PFF data. You didn’t know anything about Lloyd? Really? Edmunds at the edge?

Anyway, Lloyd played 80% of the defensive snaps, a lot of which came next to another rookie in Chad Muma for a playoff team. Dean is an undersized player who sat the bench and still got hurt (his durability was always a concern.) 

One guy played and flashed in the NFL. One guy sat the bench and still got hurt and was really good in college. i am definitely not the one joking here

I actually wanted Lloyd in the first as well. Even though we weren’t starving for a LB, I thought at that point he was far and away the BPA. If I were GM, I’d be a shrewd one. After I had drafted Lloyd, I would’ve worked the phones to see if there was interest in Edmunds as a 2nd round pick, that way I avoid his looming contract and already have another heralded LB in his place. For the first half of the season Lloyd was on the DROY train, but fell off as the season wore on, but I still like the move in hindsight.

Edited by JayBaller10

13 hours ago, Maybe Someday said:

I believe the hope was to use him in a traditional 4-3. TJ7 was just a better player so we stuck with the nickel. Hope he develops. Looked totally lost when he did play. 

I also think this was the plan, possibly with an eye towards more physical coverage on TEs like Kelce. The main pre-draft knock on him was size, but as someone pointed out he’s basically the same size as Milano coming out of college.