MERGE WITH OTHER THREAD

Rigotz

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

Good question and thought.

I have three brief ideas why Bernard was chosen in round #3.

1. The Bills do not have a lot of linebacking depth and are always (too much in my view) looking for their next special teams and versatile backup.

#2. The Bills likely had Bernard as a late 2nd round pick and went with their BPA rather than mixing that in with potentially a higher needed position or defensive fit.

#3. As has been said on other lists, the Bills are obsessed with drafting defensive players who overall have not lived up to their pick in the draft.

I would go with all three answers. The Bills will likely pay Edmunds. Hopefully they realize whether Bernard takes on a bigger role or not,  that anything more than $13million a year for Edmunds is likely not worth it knowing that Edmunds is our 2nd best starting linebacker out of two starting linebackers.

I'll take #3 for $500 Alex...joking aside it was an odd pick that turned into a terrible pick. Could've taken OG Dylan Parham who went next pick.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We undoubtedbly picked him, in the 3rd, being certain he would redshirt.

Not going to argue this point, right/wrong, they 100% must have loved something about him. My guess is smarts/speed. A guy to eventually help us against premier TE matchups, and blitzing. Would be really cool to have a speedy 4-3 LB, who can lineup behind Miller and play at a pre injury Merriman type role.

• Agree 1

I didn't like the pick to begin with as Bernard was not on anyone's radar as a 3rd Round Pick. When you "reach" for someone on Day 2 - you need them to show why they were worth it in fit or style. He absolutely didn't. 

As for WR - the good news is at that point I had Khalil Shakir as the best available WR on the board. And we were able to still get him at the top of Round 5. I remember telling myself "well, if you switch out 3rd and 5ths - it looks a lot better".

Unfortunately, it's pretty obvious we should have went with Dylan Parham there, who went the very next pick and shouldn't have been there in the first place and started all 17 games for the Raiders.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

He was supposed to be a hybrid LB that could also cover TE's so we wouldn't be stuck in the nickel defense and allow teams to run it down our throats like what we saw vs Colts and Titans and NE last year. He didn't look good in college and he doesn't look good now tbh. Same with Cook, Bills thought the roster was set so let's get some players to fill some weird niche. Cook was the "receiving RB" and Bernard was supposed to be the hybrid LB that could also play special teams. Both guys drafted too high but Cook looks like he might actually be a good RB in addition to receiver so it might work out with him. I don't have high hopes for Bernard.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Not being snarky. This seems like hubris by Beane. I think he bought into this being a superbowl year so he drafted a potential backup for the oft injured Milano... with a 3rd round pick.

I still like Beane as the gm, and it's way too early to tell, but this seems like a big, puzzling mistake.

This ^^^

• Like (+1) 1

The only thing that makes sense to me is they hope to use him in a 3 backer D after they had problems stopping the power run game in 2021 used by Indy and Tenn as well as someone who could match up with Kelse.

He must be more of a project than they realized.

• Agree 1

I guess we'll see in a couple of years. I think this regime drafts to develop players. They don't like to play rookies, even though a lot of them are forced onto the field. I think they draft guys planning to have them develop for a couple of years before they are really a part of the equation.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

I guess we'll see in a couple of years. I think this regime drafts to develop players. They don't like to play rookies, even though a lot of them are forced onto the field. I think they draft guys planning to have them develop for a couple of years before they are really a part of the equation.

NFL is play now, win now. If this were actually true, then no wonder the team is plateauing. It’s a dinosaur mentality.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

BPA. The problem is that this type of thinking only works when you don't have any glaring weaknesses on either side of the ball.  The Bills unfortunately had some.

If the Bills had Bernard as their BPA then they are seriously flawed and perhaps clueless. By most experts boards Bernard was projected to go somewhere in the 5th round. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'll take #3 for $500 Alex...joking aside it was an odd pick that turned into a terrible pick. Could've taken OG Dylan Parham who went next pick.

I remember so many pounding the table for Parham. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

If the Bills had Bernard as their BPA then they are seriously flawed and perhaps clueless. By most experts boards Bernard was projected to go somewhere in the 5th round. 

It was rumored the Cowpokes were really high on him and may have taken him in the 4th. Not sure if that’s why the Bills snatched him in the 3rd, but this team isn’t good enough to have any picks 1-3 as healthy inactives. Those need to be contributors and I’m not talking special teams. 

• Agree 1

Undersized and slow with a history of injuries.  Pick was bad in the moment and only got worse.  1st-3rd round picks basically have to be starters or at least rotational players.  Bernard can go onto the Epenesa, Basham, Moss, Ford scrap heap of wasted high round picks.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

48 minutes ago, WeckMonster said:

Undersized and slow with a history of injuries.  Pick was bad in the moment and only got worse.  1st-3rd round picks basically have to be starters or at least rotational players.  Bernard can go onto the Epenesa, Basham, Moss, Ford scrap heap of wasted high round picks.

I agree. I think the Beane and company are much better drafting in the later rounds. Not sure why. 

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

Beane is horrible at drafting. 

I don’t know if he’s “horrible,” but he’s missed on some players I thought would be stars at the NFL level and they have been. He and his scouts have access to more resources than I could ever imagine, so for me to know who the better player would be in the draft is kinda damning. It’s like he’s outsmarting himself. This year I don’t want to see any double down picks unless it’s OL. Also don’t want to see him trading up and burning picks either.