MERGE WITH OTHER THREAD

Rigotz

Good question and thought.

I have three brief ideas why Bernard was chosen in round #3.

1. The Bills do not have a lot of linebacking depth and are always (too much in my view) looking for their next special teams and versatile backup.

#2. The Bills likely had Bernard as a late 2nd round pick and went with their BPA rather than mixing that in with potentially a higher needed position or defensive fit.

#3. As has been said on other lists, the Bills are obsessed with drafting defensive players who overall have not lived up to their pick in the draft.

I would go with all three answers. The Bills will likely pay Edmunds. Hopefully they realize whether Bernard takes on a bigger role or not,  that anything more than $13million a year for Edmunds is likely not worth it knowing that Edmunds is our 2nd best starting linebacker out of two starting linebackers.

Edited by Wizard
Grammar
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

The reason is because McDermott is very close to Baylor HC and Bernard was a very good teammate with some talent.

Not a good pick imo as you can see from my post history but McDermott takes his connections’ recommendations very seriously. For example, Baylors HC Aranda was the LSU DC when we drafted Tre. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, LEBills said:

The reason is because McDermott is very close to Baylor HC and Bernard was a very good teammate with some talent.

Not a good pick imo as you can see from my post history but McDermott takes his connections’ recommendations very seriously. For example, Baylors HC Aranda was the LSU DC when we drafted Tre. 

There were considerable differences in the pre draft prospects of Tre and Bernard…

My question around Bernard is … even if they liked him… did they take him like at least two rounds too early?

• Like (+1) 2

I think they went into the draft thinking this would be Edmunds' last year as a Bill. They liked him & thought after they could get him ready to play LB with a redshirt year. It sure seems like a failed plan at this point, but who knows.

The problem I have with it, is why draft a guy in the 3rd round that you could've gotten in the 4th or maybe even 5th? Beane may have had a 2nd round grade on him, but he should've known most teams looked at him as a Day 3 pick. I have no problem with getting your guy, but value matters. This decision likely cost us a 3rd round OG who could've supplanted Saffold.

• Like (+1) 5

I'm flummoxed too. And unless someone gives a great answer, for me at least, the Bernard pick will be proof of why you don't draft strict BPA. He appears to a be hybrid safety-linebacker but he doesn't (if I recall) have great traits.

I'm not  a draft guru but I'd be willing to bet many starting O-linemen were taken around that pick. 

If Benford turns into a starting safety that will mitigate some of the drafting weirdness, like this pick. I guess they thought the O-line was better than it was and Davis was a legit number two and they could get cute.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Yes, I know he looked terrible this season in limited play.

3rd rounder in a potential Super Bowl year.

We needed OL and WR badly.

Why did we draft him?

The Bills play a base 4-2-5 defense… 4 down linemen, two linebackers, 5 DBs including a Nickel (Taron) who acts as a linebacker at times. Was Bernard intended as insurance against a Taron or Edmunds injury? Was he intended to be used as a core special teamer and traditional OLB in 4-3 looks?

I didn’t understand this pick at the time and still don’t … unless it was always the plan to groom him to replace Edmunds… which also seems odd in a SB year.

So… what do you think was the ideal outcome Beane had in mind?

Try to keep the snarky/defeatist answers to a minimum.

I got Nothin', sorry.  I was hella puzzled by that pick at the time.

7 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'm flummoxed too. And unless someone gives a great answer, for me at least, the Bernard pick will be proof of why you don't draft strict BPA. He appears to a be hybrid safety-linebacker but he doesn't (if I recall) have great traits.

I'm not  a draft guru but I'd be willing to bet many starting O-linemen were taken around that pick. 

If Benford turns into a starting safety that will mitigate some of the drafting weirdness, like this pick. I guess they thought the O-line was better than it was and Davis was a legit number two and they could get cute.

Well, have a look.  Bernard was pick #89

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/draft.htm

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

He is a phenomenal athlete and very intelligent. Could be they wanted the option to play more 3 LBs and not have a massive liability with Klein or Dodson in coverage (although Dodson is extremely athletic).

Could be the move Taron Johnson to SS and they have a more traditional defense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I got Nothin', sorry.  I was hella puzzled by that pick at the time.

Well, have a look.  Bernard was pick #89

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/draft.htm

Well, a quick check shows that Dylan Parham, Las Vegas Raiders, made the NFL.com all rookie team — drafted right after Bernard, 90th overall. I'm not gonna continue this exercise but I'm pretty sure history shows a lot of good lineman in the third and fourth rounds.. Yes, hindsight is 20/20 but management should have known O-line was a greater need than a very undersized linebacker with middling speed.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not being snarky. This seems like hubris by Beane. I think he bought into this being a superbowl year so he drafted a potential backup for the oft injured Milano... with a 3rd round pick.

I still like Beane as the gm, and it's way too early to tell, but this seems like a big, puzzling mistake.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Yes, I know he looked terrible this season in limited play.

3rd rounder in a potential Super Bowl year.

We needed OL and WR badly.

Why did we draft him?

The Bills play a base 4-2-5 defense… 4 down linemen, two linebackers, 5 DBs including a Nickel (Taron) who acts as a linebacker at times. Was Bernard intended as insurance against a Taron or Edmunds injury? Was he intended to be used as a core special teamer and traditional OLB in 4-3 looks?

I didn’t understand this pick at the time and still don’t … unless it was always the plan to groom him to replace Edmunds… which also seems odd in a SB year.

So… what do you think was the ideal outcome Beane had in mind?

Try to keep the snarky/defeatist answers to a minimum.

It’s looking like a pretty bad pick.  I don’t believe Bernard was drafted to replace Edmunds.  My guess is maybe they thought he could be the 3rd LB in a 4-3?  I just know he struggled badly when he saw time this season.