Buffalo Bills 2023 “The Fix”

r henderson

Now that the season is officially over, I’m putting together my solutions for fixing our team in the off season. Beane has structure all the top contracts to create salary cap if needed. This will allow us to add a couple of players and retain one. Sign OBJ to a one year prove it deal. Sign free agent guard Dalton Risner. Sign rb Kareem Hunt to be our in between the tackles back. Resign Tremaine Edmunds to a deal that would make both sides happy. Here’s my curve ball. Move Dion Dawkins to guard. Coming out of college he was ranked as the 2nd best guard in the draft. Move Christian Benford to safety to replace Poyer. Now for the draft.

Paris Johnson LT Ohio St

Jarrett Patterson C Notre Dame

Demarco Hellmans SS Alabama

Matthew Bergeron RT Syracuse

Arquon Bush CB Cincinnati

Trevor Downing G/C Iowa

As you can see these are not complete overhaul changes. I feel like we are still a top 5 team. With Von Miller returning and Tre having time to return to Pro Bowl form. Also another year under Dorsey (There not giving up just yet). I Billieve!!!

• Like (+1) 5

Move Bates back to LG. That seems to be his best position. Dawkins could stay at LT. Then you do whatever you can to significantly upgrade RG and RT. Spencer Brown can be the swing tackle and hopefully develop more.

Gabe Davis needs to go back to being the 3rd/4th WR. Draft a WR really high, or bring in a free agent to fill that #2 role. Heck, even trade for one if you need to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If Johnson is there for them, no brainer. I think he is long gone.

Yeah Paris will be long gone by 15 or so.  Not a fan of moving Dion yet. Slide Bates over to LG and both Dawkins & Bates play improves. We're probably only getting one more year out of Morse. Let Spencer experiment at RG and sign Taylor (Jags) for RT.  Love moving Benford to SS.  Hate keeping Tremaine @20M.  Draft heavy on OL/WR.

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah Paris will be long gone by 15 or so.  Not a fan of moving Dion yet. Slide Bates over to LG and both Dawkins & Bates play improves. We're probably only getting one more year out of Morse. Let Spencer experiment at RG and sign Taylor (Jags) for RT.  Love moving Benford to SS.  Hate keeping Tremaine @20M.  Draft heavy on OL/WR.

Hmm. Dion was bad down the stretch and he is having issues keeping the weight down. I am all in on Dion to guard this year unless I literally cannot find a route to get my hands on a left tackle. I don't at all like the idea of Brown to guard. Low man wins inside. Can't see how that is ever the 6ft6 guy with back issues.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, MJS said:

Move Bates back to LG. That seems to be his best position. Dawkins could stay at LT. Then you do whatever you can to significantly upgrade RG and RT. Spencer Brown can be the swing tackle and hopefully develop more.

Gabe Davis needs to go back to being the 3rd/4th WR. Draft a WR really high, or bring in a free agent to fill that #2 role. Heck, even trade for one if you need to.

I like the general "fix" idea of this thread; that is, "fix" the o-line.

Concerning Bates, I think there is a very good possibility Morse retires with his concussion history. If so, Bates slides into the Center position. I agree with the idea of moving Dawkins. But I think the key in all this is, what/who do we draft? The answer => the best o-linemen available! All changes will be based on what that person(s) can do, or not.

And it goes without saying, but I do--someone better be telling him, that Spencer Brown has to get better at pass blocking.

Also, Tommy Doyle should be back and he was staring to develop. Is he a potential starter?

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. Dion was bad down the stretch and he is having issues keeping the weight down. I am all in on Dion to guard this year unless I literally cannot find a route to get my hands on a left tackle. I don't at all like the idea of Brown to guard. Low man wins inside. Can't see how that is ever the 6ft6 guy with back issues.

Dawkins was fine down the stretch and the Bengals game was an outlier for him.  As it seemed to be for basically most of the Bills roster.  I have full confidence next year if they go with Dawkins (LT), Bates (LG-move him there), and Morse (C).  The Bills need to address the right side aggressively though and hopefully Pegula makes it clear McBeane's job(s) depends on it.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Anyone else have visions of 'The Sting' when reading the thread title? 🤔

my mom loved that movie when I was a kid.  I think she just loved Redford and Newman.

Robert Shaw was a great actor.  He died far too young.  Between Black Sunday, The Deep, and Force 10 from Navarone, they were some of my favs as a kid.  Thanks for the reference Ridge.

Edmunds is going to get more than $15 million per, and it won't be with Buffalo b/c we can't afford that.  (And b/c we are smart enough to move on from him, I pray).  

Without knowing more information, I'm not sure I want OBJ anymore; something went weird with him; he was supposed to be playing now for a playoff team and it never happened. Dallas let on that he is still hurt or out of shape or something....

Anyway, he won't sign a "1 year prove it deal" unless he thinks he has to.

Edited by Nextmanup

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

my mom loved that movie when I was a kid.  I think she just loved Redford and Newman.

Robert Shaw was a great actor.  He died far too young.  Between Black Sunday, The Deep, and Force 10 from Navarone, they were some of my favs as a kid.  Thanks for the reference Ridge.

My all time favorite movie.  As for the suggested moves, I’m all for improving the O line.  But assuming we do so keep Motor and pass on Hunt.  

Agreed Old Man.  I’m guessing Beane will let Motor shop his services and then low ball offer him as he’s not getting big $ from anyone.

He’s a decent RB, but has his limitations.  Hines and Cook will take on bigger roles in the coming years.

I may sound like a broken record, but it’s a speed WR, and a possession guy.  If we trade for Jeudy, that would free up for only one WR early in the draft.  Two Guards is a must.  That’s my 1st-3rd RD picks.  Conver Allen and Diggs’ contracts to signing bonuses and frees up a lot of cash.

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Trade up if he is that coveted. 

The 1 OL we actually hit on was an all Pro.  Wish we had Teller still. 

Not sure he is that sort of guy that you trade up for tbh.... maybe if he is still on the board 4 or 5 spots before you pick. Nothing more than that.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not sure he is that sort of guy that you trade up for tbh.... maybe if he is still on the board 4 or 5 spots before you pick. Nothing more than that.

Ya I'm not a college guy at all. I watch cfb but I rely on you guys for prospects , as I'm nowhere near qualified to have an opinion.  I don't even know who he is but if we can get quality on the ol or WR, like to see them be very aggressive 

It sucks because being idk cfb players like that ill rarely be posting until the draft

Edited by JerseyBills

I highly doubt they would ever move Dawkins to guard.  He’s still good at LT and is part of the core right now. 

They should move Bates to LG, as that was the position he played really well in before we got Saffold.  

Then I wouldn’t mind at all going RG & RT on Day 2.  If they want to go C round 4, fine by me.  This OL needs serious investment this off-season.  I don’t rule out Brown making a jump, but he needs competition. 

WR is where I’d go RD1 unless a slam dunk OL is there.   That all being said… we know Beane doesn’t like going into the draft with glaring holes.  We did last year at CB, but I have a suspicion that Beane signs a legit WR2 to make sure if we strike out in the Draft, Josh isn’t hung out to dry. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.