MY OPINION

Billever76

Just now, WhoTom said:

So you're going for a two-point conversion?

Hail mary!

8 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

@Billever76  Let's see that stat for points and yards allowed in the last three playoff wins.  I would expect the stats for three games when the Bills lost to look bad.

I'm like you trying to figure out what happened against Cincy.  It was the worst Bills' game of the entire season, maybe the last three seasons.  I think the defense as a whole for the Bills is a solid unit that had a really bad game at a really bad time.

I'm not ready to throw out the baby with the bathwater yet.

🍻

What does the stats for the early wc games matter?...Fact is as the competition gets stronger it shows our philosophy isn't good enough

24 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The defense really played well all year.  They didn't show up against Cincy, but neither did the offense.

The Bills defense finished 4th in the NFL giving up an average of 19.1 points a game.  That's the only defensive stat that matters.  That is a fantastic average.  I'll take Josh Allen scoring 20 points to win a game any week, and that's why the Bills only lost 3 regular season games all year.

I'm not sure what happened against Cincy.  The team just collapsed on both sides of the ball.  That one performance doesn't mean that the Bills' defense is broken.  I'd sign up for another season where the defense gives up less than 20 points a game in a heart beat.

This is the same defense that made Zach Wilson look like he had his "lights on".😎

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

the state of the offense is directly tied to the Decisions of our HC/gm relationship!..bean has went and got the players MCDERMOTT wanted for his Defense while the offense suffers bc of it.....Defense has 4 1st rounders and 3 2nd rounders on the dline ....not to mention overpaying an aged pass rusher 100m !....imagine what this offense would look like if that kind of attention has been given to the oline and rb/wr core?!!.we could have Diggs,Aj brown instead of cody ford and hopkins instead of von miller and we could have a top 5 oline ...we have a TOTAL coaching problem...from the gm who obviously is FRIENDS first and Boss second!..to a HC who seems to only be concerned with Defense so much that he not only spent all that draft capital and 100m for a single piece but he also handed over the keys to the offense in a superbowl or bust season to an Offensive coordinator who had 0 nfl exp calling an offense...Frazier while runs the same type of defenses scheme wise McDermott covets,He is way more "SAFE" and is highly reluctant to any change all season..no adjustments..vanilla and few blitzing and soft cushions on wrs.....Dorsey...just in way over his head and needs on the job experience and time to grow as a playcaller....which will waste YEARS of Prime Josh Allen.....it's much better if we cut bait now from this Regime but sadly we won't for another   2 to 3 yrs ATLEAST

I have been harping on the mistake of using so many resources on defense at the expense of the offense for some time now. It makes little sense in a league with rules skewed toward the offense. It does seem like McDermott puts his side of the ball first. I also agree that the coaching has been a problem in the playoffs. It cost us the KC game last year and any chance of being competitive against the Bengals this year. 

Something I think you have wrong is thinking Beane is McDermott’s boss. He’s not, McDermott hired Beane. I think he defers to him too much because of that. As for signing Von Miller, I think he was the player that defense needed to win in the playoffs. My problem is that after spending so many picks and so much cap space on the defense - and the DL in particular - it’s ridiculous that we needed an addition like him. That cap space should have gone to the offense for another difference maker whether or not there was still a need on defense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I have been harping on the mistake of using so many resources on defense at the expense of the offense for some time now. It makes little sense in a league with rules skewed toward the offense. It does seem like McDermott puts his side of the ball first. I also agree that the coaching has been a problem in the playoffs. It cost us the KC game last year and any chance of being competitive against the Bengals this year. 

Something I think you have wrong is thinking Beane is McDermott’s boss. He’s not, McDermott hired Beane. I think he defers to him too much because of that. As for signing Von Miller, I think he was the player that defense needed to win in the playoffs. My problem is that after spending so many picks and so much cap space on the defense - and the DL in particular - it’s ridiculous that we needed an addition like him. That cap space should have gone to the offense for another difference maker whether or not there was still a need on defense. 

The miller signing was a desperation signing to compensate for poor drafting and development of our Dline 

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That's the whole point of this post...if we had reversed the way we have went around Building this team we could have an offense that RIVALS  everyone...then and only then do you start filling out the defense..it's an offense driven league and to deny that is to live in the land of delusions

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

This is the same defense that made Zach Wilson look like he had his "lights on".😎

The Jets offense only scored 20 points that game.  One of the Jets' TD drives started at the Bills' 19 yard line after Josh was picked.  The defense did not lose us that game.

🍻

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The Jets offense only scored 20 points that game.  One of the Jets' TD drives started at the Bills' 19 yard line after Josh was picked.  The defense did not lose us that game.

🍻

Jets ran the ball down our throats in the 4th and ate clock...we couldn't stop them

Just now, Billever76 said:

Jets ran the ball down our throats in the 4th and ate clock...we couldn't stop them

The fact remains that the defense gave up 20 points that game, seven of them on a short field turn over by the offense that handed the ball to the Jets already in the Red Zone.   

It was the offense that couldn't get out of it's own way that game.  The Bills' offense is what lost that game, not the defense.  I don't know how you can look at that game and not cede that point unless you're just going to be argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

I spend 100 million every day

If you spend that much then your progress better not be going backwards or you won't have a job very long

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

The fact remains that the defense gave up 20 points that game, seven of them on a short field turn over by the offense that handed the ball to the Jets already in the Red Zone.   

It was the offense that couldn't get out of it's own way that game.  The Bills' offense is what lost that game, not the defense.  I don't know how you can look at that game and not cede that point unless you're just going to be argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

Well I would argue that's simply bc we haven't prioritized the offense esp the oline....Allen was hurt bc one of our turnstile linemen decided to completely whiff....our talent level on the oline has been lacking since McDermott and Bean have been here...we did have an ok pass blocking unit in 2020 but we never have been able to run block very well and our interior line has not been adequately addressed

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

🍻

Don't you think that 20 points were too many for a Zach Wilson led offense? 

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

Don't you think that 20 points were too many for a Zach Wilson led offense? 

Yes it's double what we should have given up considering what we have invested on that defense lol...Cincinnati held our much better offense with Allen and Diggs to 10 points 😆 

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Awesome thread title!!!  👍🏻

Well that's all anything is on this board...Nothing but opinions on what we should do....I liked McDermott and bean...I think they are what was needed to get the franchise on course....but I also think they have done all they are going to do and it is at a point their process has become a hindrance 

Edited by Billever76

2 hours ago, Beast said:

You know what they say about opinions…..everyone that has one needs a thread to state it.

I believe the Dunning-Kruger effect is very pronounced.  Anyone that starts a thread  My Opinion suffers severely 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm even on board with giving bean and McDermott another year of support but that would have to come with Frazier not being back and McDermott dropping his stubborn approach of his process....we need a more aggressive approach on Defense ....give dorsey another year bc we really have no choice but if this team goes out next season and has the same or worse results then McDermott has sealed his fate..McDermott is on the hot seat...no way he can't be...we are now going into year 7!....we cannot waste Josh Allen's prime..we can find 5 more mcdermotts but we will not Find another Josh allen....this team needs to be built in what protects our Qb and what is the best process for HIM

• Like (+1) 2

I'm sure lots of folks here will just make fun here, but the OP has a point, to an extent.

If this team doesn't shift course and go HARD ON OFFENSE this off-season, we do have a problem.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.