Darnell Washington

whorlnut

Watch this video and imagine 2 TE sets with Knox. This dude can block like crazy and is an enormous target. Kills 2 birds with one stone. Another target for Allenand help on the line. Would allow knox toeat more in the passing game. Late first target?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think the Bills draft a TE in first 3 rounds almost certain.  It’s not a great year for WR or OL, but it’s loaded at TE.  The Bills would be smart to get Josh a stud TE.  A stud TE and stud RB would help out our offense tremendously imo.  And devote the rest of resources to offense and NT types

• Like (+1) 1

I’m a huge Georgia fan…. But I will be the first to admit I don’t think Darnell Washington will make a good pro.

Hes a huge mismatch problem for mid tier college programs. But I don’t see him being anything special in the NFL. Size isn’t an issue in the league like it is college. He is not quick, slow feet, very methodical. I see him running roughly a 4.8 forty. He’s not going to be a receiving threat in the league. Red Zone? Sure maybe. He’s a Solid blocker and is that 6th OL. 

Personally I think this kid is more a potential top 60 talk vs round 1 talk. All my opinion watching him over the years.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Here’s the thing Dorsey when he was a Hurricane utilized 2TE with Shockey and Winslow a ton…could I see him utilizing a second TE in free agency or the draft.

When they signed OJ Howard I thought for sure they might go that route maybe this off season they decide to implement this with a better option. 

If they went that route I’m on the Dalton Kincaid bandwagon. 

16 minutes ago, Billl said:

Who is the last TE taken in the first round that turned into a star?  For whatever reason, it’s the biggest crapshoot of any position.  I’d never take one in the first round.

Kyle Pitts will I am all but certain. The down year this year was about injuries and QB play. But he is exception. I grant you that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Kyle Pitts will I am all but certain. The down year this year was about injuries and QB play. But he is exception. I grant you that.

The numbers say that Hockenson is pretty darn good (60 catches in 10 games for MN; 86 overall). And he produced pretty well in prior seasons. I actually bet DT is sorry they traded him given how good they turned out to be in the end.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

The numbers say that Hockenson is pretty darn good (60 catches in 10 games for MN; 86 overall). And he produced pretty well in prior seasons. I actually bet DT is sorry they traded him given how good they turned out to be in the end.

Hock is decent yea. I don't think he is a star. But he is decent. 

• Like (+1) 2

Upgrading TE2 would be excellent. However, I’m not sure drafting a TE is the best route if the goal is winning now. TE’s more often than not take 2-3 years to develop, and tend to be lackluster blockers until the second half of their careers. The guys who are ready day one tend to be top-20 picks, and even then they can take a while to develop blocking skills. If this upcoming season is the concern then trying to get a guy like Robert Tonyan in FA on an affordable contract would probably be a better option. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

We really collectively feel the issue is at TE?

Additional help for the offense helps make everyone better.  There are many ways to help the offense.  Most want a receiver to challenge Gabe Davis - I agree with that, but if you can’t get one of those an OL would help by providing better pass protection to allow the receivers they already have more time to get open.  OL help would also possibly allow the RBs like Cook and Hines to go into pass patterns instead of staying in to help block.  The idea of this massive TE who can help pass and run block also would help the offense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Who is the last TE taken in the first round that turned into a star?  For whatever reason, it’s the biggest crapshoot of any position.  I’d never take one in the first round.

The last two have - Kyle Pitts and TJ Hokenson. The 3rd is playing in the AFC championship as Cincinnati's TE #1. Noah Fant is the 4th and while not a star to date has been a reliable option. From 2017 OJ Howard was a bust, Evan Engram just finished a career year and will be a major FA target most likely, and David Njoku finished 9th in yards for TEs despite being hampered by injury.

You have pretty high odds of getting a quality TE in round 1

Pettigrew and Keller suffered serious injuries that ended their careers early.

Olson was a star before them. vernon Davis and Marcedes Lewis (still in the league) before him. Heath Miller was a stud.

Kellen Winslow flamed out in 04 not for a lack of ability and Dallas Clark was a HOF Caliber TE in 03.

So in the last 20 years - you had 2 busts, 2 couple players whose career was cut short by injury, a couple solid players and a handful of superstars.

There might not be a safer position to draft in the first round based on that.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/te

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

We really collectively feel the issue is at TE?

Tangentially, It is currently Burrow knob shine season in the national media. Why? Because he has a big target that imposes his will on smaller Defenders while catching everything on high percentage routes. Props to Burrow but quick hitters to open receivers isn’t amazing but it is good football.

Kinda like a good TE could do for us.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I think the Bills draft a TE in first 3 rounds almost certain.  It’s not a great year for WR or OL, but it’s loaded at TE.  The Bills would be smart to get Josh a stud TE.  A stud TE and stud RB would help out our offense tremendously imo.  And devote the rest of resources to offense and NT types

There is a few wrs that would be an immediate upgrade if they are still around at our pick though..

Just now, Billever76 said:

There is a few wrs that would be an immediate upgrade if they are still around at our pick though..

If Bijan Robinson is there in the bottom of the 1st at our pick I would hope we run to the podium...dude is going to be a beast and is an everydown back...you can even line him up in the slot..his jump cut is Barry sander esque

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.