Jim Johnson was McD’s mentor. Where’s his defense?

oldmanfan

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They absolutely should be afraid of going backwards with a new coach a new system that requires new players

This team just went 13 and three there is absolutely no reason to believe that a new offensive or defensive philosophy that required retooling on both sides of the ball, would not result in a lesser record to think that you’re going to do better than 13 and three with major changes is just Folly

I get the people are concerned about what happened when we hit the playoffs this year I am too but first you gotta get there

I guess I don’t care about regular season record that much.

The Rams we’re 12-5 and won the Super Bowl last season.

We have been 13-3 for two of the last three seasons and have jack squat to show for it.

The only season I care about now is the postseason. And we have not done well in the postseason.

Think about all the coaches with good regular season records and no Super Bowls. I don’t want that to be us.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Einstein said:

I guess I don’t care about regular season record that much.

The Rams we’re 12-5 and won the Super Bowl last season.

We have been 13-3 for two of the last three seasons and have jack squat to show for it.

The only season I care about now is the postseason. And we have not done well in the postseason.

Think about all the coaches with good regular season records and no Super Bowls. I don’t want that to be us.

Yeah, that doesn’t really make any sense. You have to play well in the regular season in order to set yourself up for the postseason. It makes sense that you would want to do that.

The team that played the Bengals was just flat that’s all there is to it

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah, that doesn’t really make any sense. You have to play well in the regular season in order to set yourself up for the postseason. It makes sense that you would want to do that.

Two teams that were 9-8 made the AFC

playoffs. You really don’t have to play all that well to make it.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The team that played the Bengals was just flat that’s all there is to it

They didn’t play well the week before that either. Heck, they haven’t really played well since October.

The Bills could go 17-0 in the regular season and I wouldn’t give two craps about that if it meant watching them lose in the playoffs again.

There are no regular season championships.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Two teams that were 9-8 made the AFC

playoffs. You really don’t have to play all that well to make it.

They didn’t play well the week before that either. Heck, they haven’t really played well since October.

The Bills could go 17-0 in the regular season and I wouldn’t give two craps about that if it meant watching them lose in the playoffs again.

There are no regular season championships.

They have been flat in the fourth quarter of the season. There’s no denying that and the damar Hamlin situation had a lot to do with that.

Lesser team might make the playoffs but there’s absolutely no doubt it to suggest that they actually win Super Bowls. They turn into lucky to be there and happy to be their teams.

To me, it’s about consistency you can’t be ***** hot at the beginning of the season and then start playing fat and happy as you get closer to the playoffs sometimes I even like a loss because it keeps the team grounded realizing that they aren’t all that and the other teams can beat them

I still feel that this season was an outlier because of the Hamlin situation last year. The office was firing on all cylinders against the Chiefs and we should’ve won that game.

No participation trophies, though we didn’t win that game but I’m not gonna go down on this team because for a couple of years they ended up being the third of fourth best team in the league. Maybe that’s because I lived through the two decades of loss as a fan.

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They have been flat in the fourth quarter of the season. There’s no denying that and the damar Hamlin situation had a lot to do with that.

Lesser team might make the playoffs but there’s absolutely no doubt it to suggest that they actually win Super Bowls. They turn into lucky to be there and happy to be their teams.

To me, it’s about consistency you can’t be ***** hot at the beginning of the season and then start playing fat and happy as you get closer to the playoffs sometimes I even like a loss because it keeps the team grounded realizing that they aren’t all that and the other teams can beat them

I still feel that this season was an outlier because of the Hamlin situation last year. The office was firing on all cylinders against the Chiefs and we should’ve won that game.

No participation trophies, though we didn’t win that game but I’m not gonna go down on this team because for a couple of years they ended up being the third of fourth best team in the league. Maybe that’s because I lived through the two decades of loss as a fan.

I respect your opinion but I just don’t think Hamlin had anything to do with it. They were flat long before Hamlin, and the we’re getting overpowered by Cinci in that first matchup before Hamlin went down.

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I respect your opinion but I just don’t think Hamlin had anything to do with it. They were flat long before Hamlin, and the we’re getting overpowered by Cinci in that first matchup before Hamlin went down.

Players actually talked about it I think it had a lot to do with it. Roger saffold was quick to point it out

Ran out of gas means emotionally spent

Just stop and think about it for a minute these people are not robots they literally saw their teammate die on the field in front of them. Great medical staff was able to resuscitate him, but he did die.

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

But it does keep happening again.

- The infamous Deshaun Watson non-sack that lost the Texans playoff game

- 13 seconds

- Playing 10 yards off WR's on 3rd and 4 and generally getting abused all game against Cinci.

This is no longer a fluke or momentary lapse. This is a habit. This is a trend. This is the "norm" for playoff Bills defense

On top of what you mention above, another thing... actually two things, that I've had a hard time forgiving Leslie Frazier for are:

• The Hail Murray
  • The jump ball Justin Jefferson "Catch of the Year in our bitter week 10 OT loss to the Vikings

To me, those are glaring failures that reside squarely on the shoulders of the DC.

The Bills D seems to flunk at Situational Football 101 more than is acceptable.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Why are we acting like the defense is bad?

A practice squad safety, 1 arm and 1 legged safety, clearly not back Tre White, 4th string DT, practice squad DE and practice squad DT all played high amounts of snaps vs Bengals. 

This.  Thank you.

10 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I’ve been frustrated as many have by the defensive issues seen in the post seasons the past 4 years.  I know McD learned at the feet of Jim Johnson, the famed DC for the Eagles.  So I went back and reviewed some of Johnson’s philosophies.

Like our current D, Johnson believed in making offenses take their time getting downfield, believing that opened up more chances for the opposing offense to make mistakes.  But once past the 50 yard line, then Johnson would get aggressive.  He was a big believer in zone blitz schemes, was probably the inventor of it.  He had very creative blitz calls, would sometimes send two corners out of the blue.  He’d move guys around on the line to create mismatches.  And his D always ranked near or at the top, despite personnel changes every year.

So I’m wondering why McD’s team has strayed so far away from his mentor’s philosophy.  We rarely see creative blitz packages.  We rarely move personnel around to creat mismatches; we just play the same 4 man rush and it hasn’t worked in the playoffs.  Our defense is passive; Johnson attacked.  

I wonder if McD has acceded to Frazier’s philosophy.  If so, then a good reason to let Frazier go and get back to his mentor’s concepts.  I don’t see us winning the Lombardi unless we change our defensive philosophy.

it didn’t help that the offense scored 10 points

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Players actually talked about it I think it had a lot to do with it. Roger saffold was quick to point it out

Ran out of gas means emotionally spent

Just stop and think about it for a minute these people are not robots they literally saw their teammate die on the field in front of them. Great medical staff was able to resuscitate him, but he did die.

This too.

And yeah, Saffold said it and he wasn't the only one. Allen said it too, as did others.

On 1/28/2023 at 2:56 PM, GunnerBill said:

Nah. It is over analysis of a defense that has played well for the most part (though I agree has generally under performed in the tough moments in the playoffs) with the purpose of defending an offense that has underperformed 3 out of 4 times too. The Bills just have to be better all around in those big spots. Over focus on Frazier given that is unfair. Personally I see them as the Dungy Colts. They keep coming up short against elite opposition in the post season. But one year they won't. And I know that patience is hard, but it's the right answer IMO. As a team (not just a defense) they need to break through that barrier.

Okay. Filter every other defense in the NFL that same way. Then rank them. I am confident Frazier will still be top 10 at worst.

Patience is hard when you have the clock ticking on 17s career.  How many more years do you give him?  If his defense gets romped on in a season ending loss next year…. Or the next 2? Or another 3 more defensive failures?  At that point, Joshs mobility isn’t what it is and we have no clue what condition his body will be in after another 3 years of abuse.  Th8/ regimes track record of bolstering the OL has been pitiful. 

I just don’t see Frazier coming up big when it counts against Cinci or KC unless he gets lucky and brings in a 💯 healthy D come playoffs. 

On 1/28/2023 at 11:15 AM, oldmanfan said:

I’ve been frustrated as many have by the defensive issues seen in the post seasons the past 4 years.  I know McD learned at the feet of Jim Johnson, the famed DC for the Eagles.  So I went back and reviewed some of Johnson’s philosophies.

Like our current D, Johnson believed in making offenses take their time getting downfield, believing that opened up more chances for the opposing offense to make mistakes.  But once past the 50 yard line, then Johnson would get aggressive.  He was a big believer in zone blitz schemes, was probably the inventor of it.  He had very creative blitz calls, would sometimes send two corners out of the blue.  He’d move guys around on the line to create mismatches.  And his D always ranked near or at the top, despite personnel changes every year.

So I’m wondering why McD’s team has strayed so far away from his mentor’s philosophy.  We rarely see creative blitz packages.  We rarely move personnel around to creat mismatches; we just play the same 4 man rush and it hasn’t worked in the playoffs.  Our defense is passive; Johnson attacked.  

I wonder if McD has acceded to Frazier’s philosophy.  If so, then a good reason to let Frazier go and get back to his mentor’s concepts.  I don’t see us winning the Lombardi unless we change our defensive philosophy.

The defence we run here in buffalo definitely is less aggresive than what McDermott has run when he was a d coordinator. Fraziers background is in strictly Tampa 2 and it shows..we run predominantly cover 3 or cover 2 zone looks oit of the nickel formation 

14 minutes ago, bills11 said:

The defence we run here in buffalo definitely is less aggresive than what McDermott has run when he was a d coordinator. Fraziers background is in strictly Tampa 2 and it shows..we run predominantly cover 3 or cover 2 zone looks oit of the nickel formation 

Frazier is a Jim Johnson guy as well so he has a background in cover 3 as well as in tampa 2. 

On 1/28/2023 at 11:15 AM, oldmanfan said:

McD tried to take over Johnsons defense and was promptly fired after only 2 years by Andy Reid. He was universally hated as DC in Philly and his play calling cost them some bad losses. 

On 1/28/2023 at 9:44 AM, dave mcbride said:

A wiser HC and DC would have rushed 3 and ordered the Bills DBs to play press and immediately grab and hold onto every eligible KC receiver for dear life for two plays, forcing a hail mary from the chiefs’ own 35 with 4-5 seconds left. Maybe even do it a third time to ensure that the clock gets down to under 4 seconds , ensuring one play only. It would have worked. Instead, they played off. Mind boggling given the amount of time left, kc’s 3 TOs, the quality of the KC qb and receivers, and the distance they had to go.

I thought the same thing, but someone recently mentioned to me that is a penalty AND the time can be put back on the clock!

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/28/15066542/nfl-rule-prevent-team-burning-clock-repeated-intentional-penalties

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/28/2023 at 11:56 AM, Billl said:

Here are the players who played the most defensive snaps against the Bengals:

Lawson

Rousseau

Oliver

Settle

Milano

Edmunds

Johnson

Elam

White

Marlowe

Poyer

Poyer and White were clearly less than 100%.  There is not a DC in the history of the league who could take that group of players and consistently slow down Burrow, Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, and Hurst.  Had Von, Hyde, Poyer, and White all been available and close to 100%, it’s a different conversation.  Instead, Frasier brought a knife to a gun fight.

Snakebit season….three most important players to this defense either out or playing hurt.  Safety depth was a huge issue 

no Daquan jones in that bengals game either 

I can’t blame people for seeing it as making excuses after that disappointing loss but over time maybe it will be viewed differently 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

13 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

I thought the same thing, but someone recently mentioned to me that is a penalty AND the time can be put back on the clock!

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/28/15066542/nfl-rule-prevent-team-burning-clock-repeated-intentional-penalties

Recently? 😁 we’ve been saying that since the chiefs bills game last year lol

If Frazier goes the defense won’t.   This is like the dome/no dome conversation.  McDermott hired a like minded coach to run the scheme.  Would McDermott change his defensive principles and change to a different scheme?    If so,  are the players in place to run that scheme?  Change might make people feel better but doing it could set the team back too.

51 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Snakebit season….three most important players to this defense either out or playing hurt.  Safety depth was a huge issue 

no Daquan jones in that bengals game either 

I can’t blame people for seeing it as making excuses after that disappointing loss but over time maybe it will be viewed differently 

It is a reasonable excuse for this year, but not 2021 or 2020. We had a fully healthy defense when Philip Rivers on his last legs nearly pulled off an upset in the wildcard round. So our defense faltering in the playoffs has been a trend, not an exception. The Chiefs don't have an especially talented defense. Chris Jones is of course elite but other than him it is just a decent group of players. Yet they held the same Bengals offense we faced to just 20 points. The Bengals almost scored that much against us in the 1st quarter... To my eyes it was not because the Chiefs are that much more talented than we were last week, it was because their scheme was unpredictable from play to play and they took chances. We played the Bengals the exact same way we play every offense we've faced for the last 5 years. That makes it way too easy for them to figure out. I don't want to read too much into our first game against them but it was looking just as bad in that one, so with the added context of the divisional round I think it is fair to admit our defensive scheme simply does not work against talented well-coached offenses at the end of the season.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.