Spot on article on where/what things went wrong this season

Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Didn't see this posted elsewhere.

In summary his take is:  The Bills were too aggressive on offense and too conservative on defense!

He specifically traces the point when things changed to the 2nd half of the Packers game.  While he doesn't state what changed at that exact point, my own eyeball test and memory tends to agree 100% with that point in time.

https://thebuffalofanatics.com/where-did-the-buffalo-bills-go-wrong-this-season-where-to-go-from-here/

Got me thinking a bit more about the defense and their bend but don't break philosophy.  That probably worked well 20 years ago with the shortage of great QB play and to a lesser degree WR's too so teams would make enough mistakes that were easily stopped over the length of the game.  But now too many great QB's can carve up the openings and just march down the field consistently and it ends up with death by 1000 paper cuts as they say.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

That's 10 games ago (not counting post-season) which about where I had our bad streak starting too.

We were WINNING mind you, but we were not on form.  We made mistakes, Josh turned the ball over in many of those games, and we just didn't like we were playing at our best.

I kept waiting for the switch to be thrown for playoff mode, and it literally never came.

I wonder if it would have been better to lose to Miami in the first playoff game.

It would have yielded more change than what we are going to get, and this is going to set up a regression year next year, big time.

Intro to the article....this really hurts, but also hits home! 

"The best word I can use to describe how I felt (and still feel) is numb. I sat in the first row of the upper deck in utter disbelief as I watched the Bengals celebrate on OUR FIELD, with THEIR FANS taking over OUR STADIUM with their “WHO DEY” chant. I was so numb and emotionless that the security guard had to come poke me on the shoulder and tell me to leave."

That's a dark day in Bills history right there folks!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That's 10 games ago (not counting post-season) which about where I had our bad streak starting too.

We were WINNING mind you, but we were not on form.  We made mistakes, Josh turned the ball over in many of those games, and we just didn't like we were playing at our best.

I kept waiting for the switch to be thrown for playoff mode, and it literally never came.

I wonder if it would have been better to lose to Miami in the first playoff game.

It would have yielded more change than what we are going to get, and this is going to set up a regression year next year, big time.

"The best word I can use to describe how I felt (and still feel) is numb. I sat in the first row of the upper deck in utter disbelief as I watched the Bengals celebrate on OUR FIELD, with THEIR FANS taking over OUR STADIUM with their “WHO DEY” chant. I was so numb and emotionless that the security guard had to come poke me on the shoulder and tell me to leave."

I operated completely differently than the bolded above. I left beginning of the 4th quarter knowing our team did not show up physically or mentally. The season died right there and I was on to hockey season. Buffalo did not deserve anything in that game so it was almost painless leaving the stadium. The year before was the one that will always haunt Bills fans. Our coaches ripped the Super Bowl right from our hands....that was the year.

• Agree 1

Over their last three playoff losses, Frazier’s defense has given up 107 points (35.7 points/game) and 1,403 total yards (467.7 yards/game).

But yes, let’s keep Frazier since he’s proven time and time again to outsmart the better offenses. /s

• Like (+1) 1

That write up is spot on.

The problem this year is the coaches can't see past their own noses. They are "in it" so deep they just need to zoom out and see what EVERYONE else sees. 

It's obvious they need quick passes

It's obvious they need to run the ball more

It's obvious they need more plays to take the pressure off (PA, boots, screens, etc)

It's obvious the defensive backs shouldn't play 10 yards off on a 3rd and 4

It's obvious you need to blitz more than once every 5 games

But somehow they don't see or are ignoring it. It's one of those situations where you question everything because the average fan knows all these things, but it seems as if the coaches don't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

reasonably good write up..not sure the changes needed can be made in one season given the cap handcuffs. Yes there are ways around that cap with some restructuring but there are just too many C level players on this team and the entire O line needs to be replaced. I guess give it one more shot in 2023 and if it doesn't pan out then make some real drastic changes and try for a run two years later in 2026 (using 2024 and 2025 to reststructure team and coaches). Glad i am not Beane or the Pegulas - basically purgatory for them and the fans.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Interesting quote from the article:

"However, over their last three playoff losses, Frazier’s defense has given up 107 points (35.7 points/game) and 1,403 total yards (467.7 yards/game)."

Frazier comes up small and too passive against the top offenses in those three games.  He does not want them to get burned but is willing to die by a thousand cuts. McD seems to support the defensive philosophy.  If he did not, Frazier should have been gone after the infamous 13 seconds debacle.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

It's McDermott's defense you knobs. Firing Frazier does nothing to change anything. 

McDermott called timeout before both plays in the 13 second game. He knew what the defense was doing and did nothing to intervene.

McDermott is the problem 

I don’t see him winning a championship eother

he has lost so many games against quality opponents with dumb decisions 

I’ve given up hope he can do it, but since I have no say I’ll give him one more year before I jump off completely.

this is kind of like the year where I feel “yeah I told you so …he can’t do it I said it last year.”

wouldn’t be surprised if Miami or jets pass us this year

MAYBE slip into the wildcard and one and done.  I have zero faith

fhey win the AFC East I’ll be surprised 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

1 hour ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I operated completely differently than the bolded above. I left beginning of the 4th quarter knowing our team did not show up physically or mentally. The season died right there and I was on to hockey season. Buffalo did not deserve anything in that game so it was almost painless leaving the stadium. The year before was the one that will always haunt Bills fans. Our coaches ripped the Super Bowl right from our hands....that was the year.

Yeah my take too was more like BuffaloBaumer.  The 13 seconds game left me numb and lost.  This one could was over early.  Don't have a good "wait till next year" feeling either like I did a year ago.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

You lost me at “better to lose to Miami”. 
it’s NEVER, EVER better to lose, anytime! Especially to the fish. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

"However, over their last three playoff losses, Frazier’s defense has given up 107 points (35.7 points/game) and 1,403 total yards (467.7 yards/game)."

This is ***** disgusting to allow happen in the playoffs. Let alone 3 times back to back to back.

Those are basically college offense numbers that our D is allowing. Gross.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

156 ypg given up on the ground also on average in our last 3 playoff losses also

2 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

This is ***** disgusting to allow happen in the playoffs. Let alone 3 times back to back to back.

Those are basically college offense numbers that our D is allowing. Gross.

And with how much draft and cap capital we have spent on that side of the ball?..INEXCUSABLE 

Good list in that article. Team still won 14 games though, not too shabby at all.

My 2 takes after almost a week to think about it.

1. Bills-Bengals was a perfect storm. Bengals were defending AFC champions and were completely disrespected by everyone and his brother picking the Bills to win it all. I think they were loaded for bear on MNF & again last Sunday. They had a big chip on their shoulder + a lot to prove & the Bills were deflated after MNF.

2. I’m so glad that Damar is showing vast improvement! I hope they do something very nice for him the first home game, and after that he goes on to live a long, prosperous life out of the spotlight and away from the Bills, just like Kevin Everett.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.