For one day, you are the Boss: what you do ?

Italian Bills

Fire mcd immediately, were gonna waste josh Allen s entire career with this guy being a "good guy". 

Is Belichick a good guy?

Is Bill parcels a good guy?

Was Vince Lombardi a good guy?

I don't want a good guy as a head coach. I want a winner. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2023 is likely going to be the team’s last run at a championship before a serious re-tooling is required.  This is not the time to overhaul the front office and cause massive disruption.  At this point, you’re pot committed.  If it fails, then you can have serious talks about going a different direction.

The organization went all in this year, and I have a feeling Beane is going to do some serious borrowing from the future in order to do it one more time.  If it works, he’s untouchable.  If it fails, it’s not going to be his problem to deal with anyway.  IMO, the franchise is past the point of being able to press for a championship in the short term while working to build a sustainable long-term contender.  It’s become an either/or proposition.  

In the past 5 years, Beane has shown that he’s adept at making moves to improve the team in the short-term (trading for Diggs and signing Von).  He’s been inept when it comes to building for the future, though.  Might as well lean into it at this point and throw a Hail Mary in 2023 with the current staff.  If it’s a disaster, you strip the roster down and build for 2026 with a 29 year old Allen who will still be very much in his prime.

First off I'd make myself GM and give myself a seven digit salary. I'd keep Beane around for a year to learn what to do and not to do.

McD gets at least one more year depending on what his defense looks like in the playoffs. If they can't play defense in the playoffs yet again, he's gone.

Frazier gets the opportunity to retire or resign but he won't be back. If this was a week ago I'd have gone with the power of the Schwartz, but since he's gone I'd probably go with Wilks.

The offense put up similar numbers going from Daboll to Dorsey and I think he'll get better after a year on the job.

This year in free agency and the draft, it's all about protecting Josh better and getting him some more weapons.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I would put an All star cast around Josh Allen on offense and D. It would start with McCaffrey and Kupp on Offense and Bosa and TJ Watt on D.

Beane can then come back and help us out with the cap afterwards as my assistant to the general manager.

So you get to be GM for a day....but I dont think thisp exercise includes unlimited cap space and draft capital 

Build the O line.

Draft a WR with height and hands.

Hire a Run Game Coordinator / Special Assistant such as Greg Roman.

Make it clear that the Bills would have to run the ball 20 times per game, not counting RPOs, and 5 screens a game, until we get really good at it.

Not care if we start 5-5 during the growing pains period while our offense practices easy plays and not just being saved by Josh Allen’s genius. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

The coaching staff would get canned. I'd probably hire Ben Johnson or Sean Payton.

I'd need to take have a serious talk with Beane and get a sense for how much of neglecting the offense around Josh Allen over the last 3 years is on him.

I would keep Beane as I feel the majority of the defensive failed picks were influenced by McDermott.  I'm 100% convinced we'll never sniff a SB with him at the helm.  He's as close to being Marty Schottenheimer as a person can be.  I'd give Josh over to Sean Payton who would bring offensive stability.  Let Payton hand pick his OC.  Would've loved Jim Schwartz but too late on that. Brian Flores would bring an aggressive edge (more press) to our defense. Nothing against McD's amazing character based culture but his game strategy,  time management and personnel errors can no longer be ignored. 

7 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Frazier gets the opportunity to retire or resign but he won't be back. If this was a week ago I'd have gone with the power of the Schwartz, but since he's gone I'd probably go with Wilks.

The offense put up similar numbers going from Daboll to Dorsey and I think he'll get better after a year on the job.

This year in free agency and the draft, it's all about protecting Josh better and getting him some more weapons.

Yes, Frazier goes and hire Steve Wilks who is hard-nosed leader of men. Leslie Frazier is a good man but the Bills need a leader who brings toughness to the defense. Frazier brings resilience which is not the same thing as toughness.

I'm not a big fan of Jim Schwartz... his "carry me off the field on your shoulders" stunt was lame.

The problem with Dorsey is that Josh is 100% in his corner so if you get rid of him you alienate the franchise quarterback. That said there has to be a lot of soul-searching and self-scouting on offense. The numbers were better this year but Josh regressed... possibly due to his elbow injury but I think it goes beyond that. Daboll was somehow able to tap into the "good Josh" more than Dorsey was. With all the former OCs on the team (Kromer, Shula, Brady, Boras) it's imperative that they get the offense right. With that many resources the offense has to be improved next year regardless of player personnel.

If the Bills fall sort of the Super Bowl next year, major structural changes must be made.

• Agree 1

See you Frazier!!!!

I sign Edwards.  Edwards, Milano, Taron - keep them together

I add a stud RB.  I love Motor.  But a stud RB takes pressure off Josh and adds new element to offense.  I sign Saquon if possible- and that frees up draft possibility’s.

my goal for FA and draft is add TE, WR, OT, OG, NT 

the draft is loaded at TE and NT- so I draft them

this offseason is about Josh.  My plan gets him a stud RB, a stud TE.  And I would improve Oline.

I love Simons idea- move Bates to LG, slide Brown to RG, and add a stud RT

34 minutes ago, Pete said:

See you Frazier!!!!

I add a stud RB.  I love Motor.  But a stud RB takes pressure off Josh and adds new element to offense.  I sign Saquon if possible- and that frees up draft possibility’s.

my goal for FA and draft is add TE, WR, OT, OG, NT 

the draft is loaded at TE and NT- so I draft them

this offseason is about Josh.  My plan gets him a stud RB, a stud TE.  And I would improve Oline.

I love Simons idea- move Bates to LG, slide Brown to RG, and add a stud RT

I also agree with Simon's idea of returning Bates to LG which also made Dion better. Then experiment with Spencer at RG. Go out and sign Taylor at RT or draft a T early. We'll also need to draft a C early as this likely will be Morse's last year.

57 minutes ago, Billl said:

2023 is likely going to be the team’s last run at a championship before a serious re-tooling is required.  This is not the time to overhaul the front office and cause massive disruption.  At this point, you’re pot committed.  If it fails, then you can have serious talks about going a different direction.

The organization went all in this year, and I have a feeling Beane is going to do some serious borrowing from the future in order to do it one more time.  If it works, he’s untouchable.  If it fails, it’s not going to be his problem to deal with anyway.  IMO, the franchise is past the point of being able to press for a championship in the short term while working to build a sustainable long-term contender.  It’s become an either/or proposition.  

In the past 5 years, Beane has shown that he’s adept at making moves to improve the team in the short-term (trading for Diggs and signing Von).  He’s been inept when it comes to building for the future, though.  Might as well lean into it at this point and throw a Hail Mary in 2023 with the current staff.  If it’s a disaster, you strip the roster down and build for 2026 with a 29 year old Allen who will still be very much in his prime.

I broadly agree with this and have said similar. I think the entire regime is not quite on the "hot seat" in 2023 but it has burned through the "credit in the bank" as it were.

I am not sure it is quite as bleak as strip down - there are still pieces there that work - and rebuild if it doesn't happen in 2023 but there is certainly a reloading phase that needs to happen and likely means 1 or 2 years of probably winning the division (unless Miami can get out of their own way - *spolier alter* - they can't) but with more like 11 and 12 win teams who are feel like possibly the Ravens or the Titans have in recent playoff runs. 

They need to hit on a draft real soon. The two best drafts of this regime are 2017 and 2018. Those drafts - White, Dawkins, Milano, Allen, Edmunds, Johnson - have been the core of what has happened here when added to Morse and Diggs as vets they brought in. You could even argue 2019 is the third best draft of the regime - Oliver, Singletary and Knox - it has kind of been diminishing returns since then. It isn't that their drafts have been full of busts. It is that they have lacked those slam dunk hits of the earlier drafts other than probably the kicker!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would fire McD and I would have had a talk with Reich before he got hired in Carolina. I'd also talk to Peyton - with the condition that I'd want to know what he would have done differently with a similar level of talent on Defense and who he would have on his list for d-coordinators. For too many years, defense sunk NO's battleship.

As for Beane, I would want to understand his past methodology behind picks of players and especially behind guys that seemed to be reaches like Epenesa, Bernard, Cody Ford and Zach moss. If I felt like the methodology was sound I'd let him know where I expected us to improve and give him another kick at the can. If I felt like he panicked to get a player at a position of need without strong evidence they could contribute at or above their draft stock, I'd fire him too and consider promoting from within based on scouting analysis. Otherwise, I'd definitely talk to Jon Robinson who drafted some great players in Tennessee and if it wasn't for his handling of QB and his trade of AJ Brown, he'd probably still be employed. Given that QB would be set for him here, I'd be fairly confident about the rest of what he brings.

That defense needs an enema! Stats are for losers which is what the bills do in the playoffs. Change the D, get rid of Fraizer. Get Josh some help on O. 

teams have figured the bills out. if the bills don’t make some changes like levy did in the opening game of 1990 with the no huddle things will just end up the same. Come out with the same boring stale stuff and the jets and Miami will pass us!

1 hour ago, Pete said:

See you Frazier!!!!

Who in the flipping flapping f*** is Edwards?!  Trent Edwards? 🤨

You didn't mean Edmunds, did you?  This isn't grammar police, it's basic human decency.  At least have the respect to call the man by his correct name.  

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I would keep Beane as I feel the majority of the defensive failed picks were influenced by McDermott.  I'm 100% convinced we'll never sniff a SB with him at the helm.  He's as close to being Marty Schottenheimer as a person can be.  I'd give Josh over to Sean Payton who would bring offensive stability.  Let Payton hand pick his OC.  Would've loved Jim Schwartz but too late on that. Brian Flores would bring an aggressive edge (more press) to our defense. Nothing against McD's amazing character based culture but his game strategy,  time management and personnel errors can no longer be ignored. 

I think no decision can be made until you know who directs and makes final decisions in the draft.  If it is Mc Dermott, ask Bean to show you his boards.  Review historically his thought process.  Ask his staff for accuracy of information given.

If the stressing of D line picks and choices were all McDermott's only with Allen here, he has to go.  If Bean is the real deal he will be able to put it back together.

If the choices were all Bean, he needs to go.  You then need to know what the coaches feel about the choices.   If in agreement.  Coaches have to go along with Bean.

I likely would keep them both. I think currently McDermott has final say on the roster now. We have made some mistakes there.   If McDermott directs picks and roster, not his responsibility any more, Bean gets picks and roster.  If Bean directs picks, give that job to Mc Dermott this year.   Bean becomes salary cap responsible and directs staff for scouting in draft and player personnel.

I would be looking at an upgrade to Frasier, likely Flores. 

Dorsey may have hung himself, we all stress on the actual plays called.  Game planning in this last game was lacking and the opposite of what common sense would tell you to do. That's not being creative or sneaky to attack a team, but plain stupid.

We have had good coaching up of late round picks, that's a bright side.  A failure of early selections and decisions to hold them out of games, that's a bad side.

When you listen to McDermott and Bean, the response is we need to evaluate. To make an educated recommendation and decision is wise .  It sounds as though they are unwilling to begin to form any opinions until year end

Our problems may be an offensive system(EP) with too much complexity in options where players need to read it the same.  From what i have read added complexity in our secondary reads may have lead to some of our problems on D.

Information gathering needs to be done, they likely know all they need to know. A wise leader would already know what they are going to find.  Throughout the year short coming's and mistakes should be corrected, persistence of these problems leads to failure. Be decisive and make a decision.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.