Now that the dust on the season has settled (a bit) can we please consider the Elephant in the room?

transplantbillsfan

27 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It wasn't Von. It was Damar. Once that happened the Super Bowl hopes went from fairly strong to hanging by a thread.

It was when Von went down, but I'm sure you were just like me. Blinded by the wins week after week. Our only real shot with our badly banged up secondary was Von Miller playing like a future Hall of Famer. Hamlin wasn't playing that well, Poyer was already showing obvious signs he was beaten up and Tre was clearly having problems returning to form. We needed a dominant pass rusher.

On 1/29/2023 at 3:39 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

I originally agreed with you, but then @TheBrownBear convinced how traumatic the Hamlin events would be for the coaching staff as well as the team..

I honestly wasn't even considering the impact on the coaching staff, but in many ways I can see the impact being at least as great... after all, Frazier was a DB who probably spent a lot of time with Hamlin...

That’s all well and good until we consider that the Bills looked average at best since the bye. Before snow game. Before Hamlin. And yet started the season looking like Super Bowl champs in waiting; even the Miami defeat in week 3 can be put down as a fluke of circumstances.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Stop bifurcating.

You know that's not what I said or meant.

You're being ridiculous. But I don't expect anything less from you.

No, you're the only that's trying to excuse the awful preparation on the part of the coaching staff that decided not to expose the Bengals biggest weakness (oline) like KC did and instead decided to give receivers a 10-15 yard cushion all game because of a littany of unrelated reasons of things that happened int he WNY area that were almost 100% unrelated to Bills players with the exception of player-specific issues that wouldn't impact anyone else (Knox, Hyde, Miller) and the Hamlin issue. Everything else in your list is irrelevant. They are things that happened int he past that were long since over by the time the game rolled around and had 0% to do with the outcome.

Those reasons don't explain or excuse the defensive or offensive strategy, the game time decision making, the lack of effort, or the lack of execution. I understand since you started the thread, it would be convenient for you if they did, but I've seen no argument that supports that claim.

7 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

That’s all well and good until we consider that the Bills looked average at best since the bye. Before snow game. Before Hamlin. And yet started the season looking like Super Bowl champs in waiting; even the Miami defeat in week 3 can be put down as a fluke of circumstances.

Really since the Green Bay game. The Chiefs game to me was the last time we played like a team that should win the Super Bowl - like the Eagles are still playing now.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/28/2023 at 10:48 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Being a zombie in a 9-5 shift is often  private and secluded in many ways. You're trying to pretend as though all the WNY events had no impact on WNYers simply because WNY didn't shut down.

That's just stupid of you.

I don't think it stupid at all.

You're trying to say a tragedy that happened 8 months before the playoff loss, and a medical issue that happened to a team owner 6 months before the playoff loss, and a hot game that happened 4 months before the playoff loss, has some correlation to the playoff loss.

I don't think there is any correlation. Personally I think to correlate that is a bit ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

You're trying to say a tragedy that happened 8 months before the playoff loss, and a medical issue that happened to a team owner 6 months before the playoff loss, and a hot game that happened 4 months before the playoff loss, has some correlation to the playoff loss.

I don't think there is any correlation. Personally I think to correlate that is a bit ridiculous. 

You don't think the teammate dying and being brought back to life less than 3 weeks earlier had any correlation to the playoff loss?

You don't think tragedy compounds on tragedy compounds on tragedy and takes a toll on a person?

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You don't think the teammate dying and being brought back to life less than 3 weeks earlier had any correlation to the playoff loss?

You don't think tragedy compounds on tragedy compounds on tragedy and takes a toll on a person?

It does take a toll but I don't really buy it as a reason why they lost.  I more believe it was a result of a bad game plan and Allen not being the MVP certain posters believe he is. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Josh Allen played one of the best games of his life the morning after his grandmother died.

No, I do not think Hamlin’s situation was the reason for the playoff loss. The Bills had been playing poorly for weeks before Hamlin was hurt.

5 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It does take a toll but I don't really buy it as a reason why they lost.  I more believe it was a result of a bad game plan and Allen not being the MVP certain posters believe he is. 

So you don't think Allen is an MVP caliber player? I can agree with game plan and coaching. But Allen has been right there in the race and at times leading. He certainly has been a top candidate and is definitely MVP caliber

3 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

So you don't think Allen is an MVP caliber player? I can agree with game plan and coaching. But Allen has been right there in the race and at times leading. He certainly has been a top candidate and is definitely MVP caliber

That's not what I said at all.  I said in the Bengals game he was up to his MVP caliber.  Allen is an elite QB but where he lacks is making adjustments at the line and he lacks some game IQ.  

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

That's not what I said at all.  I said in the Bengals game he was up to his MVP caliber.  Allen is an elite QB but where he lacks is making adjustments at the line and he lacks some game IQ.  

Oh ok, sorry. I didn't realize you meant Bengals game only and thought you meant in general. My bad.

Eagles & Giants won SBs w/ back up QBs. 49ers had more injuries than you can count & were on their 3rd string 'Mr. Irrelevant" QB & still made the Championship game. No doubt Bills had tons of adversity, but last year it was the OT coin flip rules screwed them, this year it's adversity. Enough excuses, SB teams find a way to overcome these things. They blinked.

A lot of keyboard warrior tough guys on this board. Some of the same posters probably can’t handle the adversity of having to walk from the couch to the kitchen to get another bag of chips.

When you have to deal with some sort of major incident every 2-3 weeks for the entire season it’s going to wear on you.

I’ll add Tre White never really returning to form from his ACL injury. He basically got the level of Dane Jackson. It was always a possibility, but a bit of bad luck and was probably a bummer to watch for his teammates.

Next year hopefully we have a nice uneventful season with minimal injuries and Hyde, White, and Miller feeling fully healthy and confident for a playoff run.

11 hours ago, Einstein said:

Hey, the also played a hot game in September!

You're right OP, but no one will remember. Also, I don't think you can use all of that as excuses. The Tops shooting, for example, was terrible, but had little or nothing to do with winning or losing football games. The emotional damage was mostly absorbed by the community and didn't involve any of the players or their families or friends.

19 hours ago, Trock said:

Adversity builds character. You either rise to the occasion or fold. Bills folded. 
What adversity? Other than #3 getting badly injured, I think most of those events had minimal impact on wins and losses other than injuries. The Bengals were the better team and the better coached team. Quit making excuses for losing to a better team. It wasn't lack of character or bad karma. The Bengals have a better roster and had a better game plan.
There is no elephant in the room, just too many soft spots. We focus too much on depth and not enough on adding blue chip players at the right positions.

Edited by GreggTX

People are searching for reasons why a 13-3 club, with home field advantage in their weather, with the offense intact...got blown out.   I think Cincinnati had a great plan and played with a chip on their shoulder that the game should never have been in Orchard Park.  They were revved up and dialed in... the Bills went through the motions, blinked and once it was 14-0 early kind of panicked.  

The other night we saw the Chiefs, QB with a really bad ankle...lost their top CB like three plays in, lost 3 WR's during the game...and still gutted out the win.  Their D made plays and the O made enough to win.  KC>Cin>Buf

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.