Now that the dust on the season has settled (a bit) can we please consider the Elephant in the room?

transplantbillsfan

20 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is something we all know and acknowledge anyway about the 2022-2023 Buffalo Bills:

They went through some *****!!!

Tops shooting

Kim Pegula getting sick

Knox's brother dying

120 degree heat game in Miami

Davis lingering ankle injury (multiple reporters, including Dan Fetes, said he just didn't look right in practice for most of the season)

Dane Jackson having to get taken off the field in an Ambulance

Micah Hyde being lost for the season

Josh Allen elbow injury and minimal practice/throwing for a couple weeks and lingering through the season

7 foot blizzard that didn't allow for a week of real practice and then relocated a home game to Detroit

A 2nd home game in Detroit 4 days later

4 away games in 11 days

Getting stuck in Chicago overnight on Christmas Eve because of a blizzard that killed dozens of people in Buffalo

Missing what many would argue are the 2 biggest Holidays of the year with their families

Damar

And I'm sure I'm missing some of these things.

EDIT: Somehow I forgot losing Von Miller... insane list 

These guys are human beings and I challenge anyone to find another team in NFL history that went through as much crap as Buffalo did this year and still managed to go 13-3 in the regular season and win a playoff game with one of the harder SoSs in that year.

I had issues with the offensive and defensive gameplan by Dorsey and Frazier.  Obviously a problem--big problem as far as Frazier goes when you're playing zone with guys 10 yards off the line against a QB with one of the quickest releases in the NFL.

But let's all take a breath.  This clearly wasn't our year.  But maybe it's more Acts of God than the team just not being good.

So...all those tragedies excuse the problem you have with Frazier game plans? I'm tired of excuses. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is something we all know and acknowledge anyway about the 2022-2023 Buffalo Bills:

They went through some *****!!!

Tops shooting

Kim Pegula getting sick

Knox's brother dying

120 degree heat game in Miami

Davis lingering ankle injury (multiple reporters, including Dan Fetes, said he just didn't look right in practice for most of the season)

Dane Jackson having to get taken off the field in an Ambulance

Micah Hyde being lost for the season

Josh Allen elbow injury and minimal practice/throwing for a couple weeks and lingering through the season

7 foot blizzard that didn't allow for a week of real practice and then relocated a home game to Detroit

A 2nd home game in Detroit 4 days later

4 away games in 11 days

Getting stuck in Chicago overnight on Christmas Eve because of a blizzard that killed dozens of people in Buffalo

Missing what many would argue are the 2 biggest Holidays of the year with their families

Damar

And I'm sure I'm missing some of these things.

EDIT: Somehow I forgot losing Von Miller... insane list 

These guys are human beings and I challenge anyone to find another team in NFL history that went through as much crap as Buffalo did this year and still managed to go 13-3 in the regular season and win a playoff game with one of the harder SoSs in that year.

I had issues with the offensive and defensive gameplan by Dorsey and Frazier.  Obviously a problem--big problem as far as Frazier goes when you're playing zone with guys 10 yards off the line against a QB with one of the quickest releases in the NFL.

But let's all take a breath.  This clearly wasn't our year.  But maybe it's more Acts of God than the team just not being good.

I can't possibly think of anything that had less to do with the Bills than this. It's disgusting to co-opt a tragedy on their behalf that happened nearly half a year before the season even started. Stop it.

Kim Pegula's mystery illness is also preposterous.

Any team that ever lost a starting QB to injury went through more than what Buffalo did when it comes to being an actual football team. What you wrote is just a lit of nonsense that has nothing to do with how a team should perform on Sundays and how coaches should prepare during the week.

I wonder how many Buffalo workers got to wipe away their negative performance reviews because it snowed a lot.

What a pathetic list of excuses for why DBs were playing 15 yards off their man on 3rd and 4 and why Josh Allen was bombing it deep on 3rd and 2.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'd actually prefer to see the Bengals win and then the 49ers beat them in the Super Bowl.

I could see that except I'm going for the Eagles.

Whoever loses the AFC Champions Game on Sunday will exemplify the old saying "Prides comes before a fall."

As horrible as they were, I don't think Kim's health or the Tops shooting or a hot game, nor a snow storm had anything to do with the team crapping the bed.

I remain convinced that last season (2021) was our year. We were CLICKING in the playoffs like i've never seen before. And it was stolen by some of the worst end of game coaching I've ever seen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

As horrible as they were, I don't think Kim's health or the Tops shooting or a hot game, nor a snow storm had anything to do with the team crapping the bed.

I remain convinced that last season (2021) was our year. We were CLICKING in the playoffs like i've never seen before. And it was stolen by some of the worst end of game coaching I've ever seen.

those were all high mountains to climb and the bills just got tired .  am sure they will all be energized next year to make another superbowl run without the need for major change .  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

So...all those tragedies excuse the problem you have with Frazier game plans? I'm tired of excuses. 

They excuse our poor drafting and player development also I guess

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

And for that reason I said fire them all.....this teams fans are so traumatized from the drought.. that all it took was average coaching to come in and they became godlike 😆....totally overlooking the fact had josh allen not been a Bill we are an 8-9 7-10 team stuck in draft purgatory just like before lol

Edited by Billever76

45 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I would say there is a pretty good chance you're right. The offense was on fire and we were quite healthy last year. Down just 1 guy, sucks it happened to be Tre though.

I would add, if we had been as lucky in the injury department this year as last, down just 1 starter and all others rather healthy, I think we would've been really good also. As long as that injury is not to Hyde, then he plays and the Hamlin injury never happens. 

5 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

I originally agreed with you, but then @TheBrownBear convinced how traumatic the Hamlin events would be for the coaching staff as well as the team..

I honestly wasn't even considering the impact on the coaching staff, but in many ways I can see the impact being at least as great... after all, Frazier was a DB who probably spent a lot of time with Hamlin...

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I can't possibly think of anything that had less to do with the Bills than this. It's disgusting to co-opt a tragedy on their behalf that happened nearly half a year before the season even started. Stop it.

Kim Pegula's mystery illness is also preposterous.

Any team that ever lost a starting QB to injury went through more than what Buffalo did when it comes to being an actual football team. What you wrote is just a lit of nonsense that has nothing to do with how a team should perform on Sundays and how coaches should prepare during the week.

I wonder how many Buffalo workers got to wipe away their negative performance reviews because it snowed a lot.

What a pathetic list of excuses for why DBs were playing 15 yards off their man on 3rd and 4 and why Josh Allen was bombing it deep on 3rd and 2.

Being a zombie in a 9-5 shift is often  private and secluded in many ways. You're trying to pretend as though all the WNY events had no impact on WNYers simply because WNY didn't shut down.

That's just stupid of you.

And to say "yeah, but they still did their jobs!!!" is blatant ignorance on your part.

A shop clerk or teacher or construction worker can usually get away with being a zombie on the job. Football players have a different level of opposition.

None of this is to dismiss other jobs. It's more to dismiss the opinions of people who work other jobs and pretend they know how everyone in every other job should be and feel.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I could see that except I'm going for the Eagles.

Whoever loses the AFC Champions Game on Sunday will exemplify the old saying "Prides comes before a fall."

I'd be rooting for the Eagles except earth's year a friend of mine said it would be either the Vikings or Eagles who won the Super Bowl so I took the field vs those 2 teams.

I win I get a case of beer. He wins he gets 2 cases.

Plus bragging rights, of course.

Regardless, I hope the Eagles win if they get there

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

It would be nice if one of our gutless reporters really called them out in a scathing article. Out-coached and out motivated. I admire how they came through all the adversity but that last game was a joke.

Do you think gutty reporting would make a difference?  Living in Jets land I see/hear a lot of scathing hot takes by the press on the regular. Hasn't helped yet (not that I'm complaining).

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

It’s a fair point. While the offense struggled the second half of 2021, the team caught fire in the playoffs. That may have been their best look to date at a Super Bowl. Often winning a title  requires a some luck and a bit of lightning in a bottle. Even with a top QB and a good roster - and a franchise record tying W/L record you simply can’t pencil in great chances at a championship. It just doesn’t work that way, although the Brady led Patriots made it look routine and threw expectations out of whack. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think you are misusing terms like "act of God" and "elephant in the room" in order to exaggerate and attract attention to whatever your position is. 

We all know the Bills had a challenging season but enough already with excuses; Beane and McDermott have shown they can get a team to the playoffs but their Super Bowl window is closing.

There were a number of purely football decisions,schemes and personnel moves that affected the season outcome. 

The elephant in the room is the talent and coaching around Allen.

Joe Burrow is 5-1 in his postseason career, making back to back AFCCG and a Super Bowl appearance(Maybe 2). He has the best WR trio in the league and yet they don't ask him to do more than his 1/22 share. Here’s what I mean.....

Take away the td scored by the defense in the WC round this year and in the 6 postseason games Cincy offense is averaging exactly 23 points a game. Burrow has less passing tds in 6 games than Josh had in just the 2 playoff games last year. So 8 td passes in 6 games = 5-1, but Josh's 9 td passes in 2 games = 1-1. 

Burrow has received so much more support from his defense and special teams than Allen. He knows if he's smart with the football and makes a few timely plays his team has a good chance to win. Meanwhile Allen feels he has to be Superman in the playoffs to advance and even then it may not be enough. Get the man some help!!

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

23 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Being a zombie in a 9-5 shift is often  private and secluded in many ways. You're trying to pretend as though all the WNY events had no impact on WNYers simply because WNY didn't shut down.

That's just stupid of you.

And to say "yeah, but they still did their jobs!!!" is blatant ignorance on your part.

A shop clerk or teacher or construction worker can usually get away with being a zombie on the job. Football players have a different level of opposition.

None of this is to dismiss other jobs. It's more to dismiss the opinions of people who work other jobs and pretend they know how everyone in every other job should be and feel.

So you're saying that the whole of western NY was going to work everyday with a shooting that happened 8 months ago or their Boss' wife's health, or the death of a coworkers brother 4+ months ago just eating at their mind and reducing their competency to the point of gross incompetence?

ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Yikes I thought the elephant in the room was that our defense has completely folded and been god awful the past 3 playoff exits and everyone keeps blaming Frazier for running McDermotts defense.  That seemed way more elephanty in the roomish.

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

So you're saying that the whole of western NY was going to work everyday with a shooting that happened 8 months ago or their Boss' wife's health, or the death of a coworkers brother 4+ months ago just eating at their mind and reducing their competency to the point of gross incompetence?

ridiculous.

Stop bifurcating.

You know that's not what I said or meant.

You're being ridiculous. But I don't expect anything less from you.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/27/2023 at 8:10 PM, GolfandBills said:

Bengals are way ahead of us is what i took from this season and it’s not really close.    Lots of work to do to catch up to them.  

Give us von back and their offensive linemen back and replace saffold with someone that can actually play football and it’s close imo 

our defensive scheme relies pretty heavily on good safety play and pressuring with 4 and the three most important players were hurt (poyer played through it). Our dline was dominant with von playing and then a switch flipped when he went down…it’s like it the chiefs lost chris jones.  They’d be dead in the water 

I feel like we all knew it was over when we lost von but some of us like me lied to ourselves for awhile 😂

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

54 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Give us von back and their offensive linemen back and replace saffold with someone that can actually play football and it’s close imo 

our defensive scheme relies pretty heavily on good safety play and pressuring with 4 and the three most important players were hurt (poyer played through it). Our dline was dominant with von playing and then a switch flipped when he went down…it’s like it the chiefs lost chris jones.  They’d be dead in the water 

I feel like we all knew it was over when we lost von but some of us like me lied to ourselves for awhile 😂

It wasn't Von. It was Damar. Once that happened the Super Bowl hopes went from fairly strong to hanging by a thread.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.