Now that the dust on the season has settled (a bit) can we please consider the Elephant in the room?

transplantbillsfan

6 hours ago, Governor said:

They really are. It isn’t close. They probably would’ve eliminated us last season too.

The Bengals are one of the most inconsistent teams in the NFL over the last couple years. They luck into wins. I don't know how better to demonstrate that than them getting a 99 yard fumble return late in the game against Baltimore when the Ravens were about to go up by a TD in a game they were pretty close to dominating defensively or a final drive fumble by the Patriots when basically all they had to do was hold onto the football and they would have won.

The Bengals are a really good team. But please stop putting them up on that pedestal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I have a lot of respect for the way the Bills battled through the insane amount of adversity that they faced this season.  In all honesty I've never seen a team go through as much as the Bills had to.  It was a DRAINING season as a fan, I can't imagine how the players must feel.  They pulled out some wins in some games they probably had no business winning.  So props and respect to those guys for the way they battled this season.

But I think if we are being honest with ourselves that Bengals game did expose this Bills team as still being a bit off from being a true Super Bowl team.  We really have some weaknesses on both lines and probably still missing a couple of legit playmakers in general.  Playcalling is a bit suspect.  These things don't have anything to do with the adversity.  

They do not have to be mutually exclusive thoughts.  

I think replace Saffold with a highly touted Guard in FA or the draft will help a lot. That and a full offseason for Spencer Brown. Also, our best DT was out against the Bengals. Daquan Jones was such a great find in FA.

And yeah... there's Von Miller... since we're talking lines.

Trade for Hunter Renfrow, perhaps?

6 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Yes, there was an unusual amount of adversity within the larger Buffalo community, but I think 99% of the non-injury stuff had little to no impact on what we saw on Sunday. 

I do, however, believe that the Damar thing was huge.  That was a legitimate trauma inducing event.  And isn't easy to bounce back from.  I think back to the difficult birth of my youngest son and watching him have to be resuscitated in front of me over many minutes while my wife cried and begged to know why the baby wasn't crying and asked if he was dead.  Happy ending as he's fine now, but he was in the ICU for almost two weeks and I would just randomly cry throughout the day for a couple of weeks and really didn't move past it (or stop revisiting it daily) until he had been home for a couple of months.  I can see how the players might have been a little emotionally burned out from the whole thing and have it effect them despite their best intentions to move forward and win it for themselves and Damar.  It's just human nature.

Having said that, it doesn't excuse what we saw in terms of strategy or lack thereof, and the first quarter of the earlier game had already revealed that we had serious issues dealing with the Bengals personnel and approach.  The better team won on Sunday.  No doubt in my mind regarding that.

Weird. I think you just excused the entire team and coaching staffunintentionally.

How does trauma not impact the mental aspect of the game? Do you think the coaches were unaffected by the Damar incident?

Gotta be honest, I was borderline "fire Frazier!" but after reading your anecdote I'm starting to second guess that.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

7 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Yes, there was an unusual amount of adversity within the larger Buffalo community, but I think 99% of the non-injury stuff had little to no impact on what we saw on Sunday. 

I do, however, believe that the Damar thing was huge.  That was a legitimate trauma inducing event.  And isn't easy to bounce back from.  I think back to the difficult birth of my youngest son and watching him have to be resuscitated in front of me over many minutes while my wife cried and begged to know why the baby wasn't crying and asked if he was dead.  Happy ending as he's fine now, but he was in the ICU for almost two weeks and I would just randomly cry throughout the day for a couple of weeks and really didn't move past it (or stop revisiting it daily) until he had been home for a couple of months.  I can see how the players might have been a little emotionally burned out from the whole thing and have it effect them despite their best intentions to move forward and win it for themselves and Damar.  It's just human nature.

Having said that, it doesn't excuse what we saw in terms of strategy or lack thereof, and the first quarter of the earlier game had already revealed that we had serious issues dealing with the Bengals personnel and approach.  The better team won on Sunday.  No doubt in my mind regarding that.

I won’t say the better team I would say the more intelligent team won. Both teams are pretty close in talent. 

8 hours ago, Lost said:

They battled through adversity knocking out win after win and just when they turned the corner...things were looking better, Damar was back in the building...they were 2 games away from their dream...just at that moment they decided they didn't have anything left in them.   Sorry I don't buy it.  I feel for all the players went through this season but Cincy game was a complete coaching mismatch.  

This x 100!  Our coaches suck donkey huevos.  How many colossal coaching mistakes can a single team make in one season?  The Bills shattered that record this year only a few month removed from making one of the biggest mistakes in the history of football, 13 seconds!  We’re going nowhere with this coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The thing that sucks is I think they caught the Chiefs based on winning two out of the last three. But now the Bengals are better than both teams. If Burrow didn't have the appendectomy surgery that caused him to miss the entire preseason, leading to an 0-2 start, they probably take the 1 seed over both the Chiefs and Bills. 

Good point.  Their oline was a little spotty early on.  Took a few games for them to come together.  Lot of new faces but experienced guys.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The Bengals are a really good team. But please stop putting them up on that pedestal.

They went to the Superbowl last year by defeating KC. They just whipped our butts. They've demonstrated over the last 2 seasons that they are a better team than us. If you're not going to put them on a pedestal, you better damn well not put us on a pedestal. 

• Like (+1) 1

It has been covered.

But many still want to forget it or gloss over it. It had to have a huge effect on these guys, and IMO they didn't look like the same team against the Bengals.

It doesn't forgive everything, but it probably is a lot of the reason we played so badly.

• Like (+1) 2

I argued this before but actually... no. Under McDermott the Bills have had this kind of blow out every single season, sometimes more than once in the early years, where no side of the ball shows up. Chargers, Saints, Pats, Eagles, Titans, Colts, Bengals. It has nothing to do with Damar, or the snow, or shootings, or Josh Allen's elbow. It's due to the team turning up at least once woefully underprepared and woefully under-motivated.

The positive side is the team has bounced back from all of those games and recovered. I think the Bengals are better than the Bills but not to the extent shown last week. The negative aspect is why do the Bills have this kind of mentality problem at least once a season.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The thing is, it's become the afterthought to the belief this team needs major changes personnel wise to compete for a Super Bowl.

Since priority #1 on this board right now appears to be "Fire! Cut! Trade! Upgrade!" I think it fits.

I think the team went through significant adversity and needs major personnel changes, at least on both lines, and at WR, and maybe LB and S. 

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

How does one come out and say: "I don't want to compete because I am stressed about dying?"

Never before did a team face death face to face on the field. This team did. They blocked it off with a human wall to stop the prying cameras of today from viewing, recording it.  Even the Bengals players were walled off to a certain extent.

The PTSD is different for the players that have to put themselves right back into the situation that caused the stress.  Probably the first time in their careers they thought about how dangerous their occupation reallt is. 

Not using it as an excuse, yet it probably isn't a coincidence that the team was off the next time they met the Bengals.

Just saying... I will give them a bad game solely for that reason. 

Remember,  everyone handles stress in different ways.  These guys aren't robots. 

I appreciate your post but disagree with the bolded. Players have been crippled, paralyzed, in pain for the rest of their lives, etc. I don't know how any player could be stupid enough to not clearly see the risks of playing professional, or even college football. 

The above is why the NFL (much like professional boxing) consists almost entirely of people from poor economic backgrounds. If I had a million dollars or so in my pocket, I would not want to get tackled by Bruce Smith or punched by Mike Tyson. 

Btw, this is why the NIL thing is so disruptive to college football and will almost inevitably reduce the quality of play in the NFL, but this is a topic for the college board.

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

This x 100!  Our coaches suck donkey huevos.  How many colossal coaching mistakes can a single team make in one season?  The Bills shattered that record this year only a few month removed from making one of the biggest mistakes in the history of football, 13 seconds!  We’re going nowhere with this coaching staff.

Why is Leslie Frazier still our DC?!

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is something we all know and acknowledge anyway about the 2022-2023 Buffalo Bills:

They went through some *****!!!

Tops shooting

Kim Pegula getting sick

Knox's brother dying

120 degree heat game in Miami

Davis lingering ankle injury (multiple reporters, including Dan Fetes, said he just didn't look right in practice for most of the season)

Dane Jackson having to get taken off the field in an Ambulance

Micah Hyde being lost for the season

Josh Allen elbow injury and minimal practice/throwing for a couple weeks and lingering through the season

7 foot blizzard that didn't allow for a week of real practice and then relocated a home game to Detroit

A 2nd home game in Detroit 4 days later

4 away games in 11 days

Getting stuck in Chicago overnight on Christmas Eve because of a blizzard that killed dozens of people in Buffalo

Missing what many would argue are the 2 biggest Holidays of the year with their families

Damar

And I'm sure I'm missing some of these things.

EDIT: Somehow I forgot losing Von Miller... insane list 

These guys are human beings and I challenge anyone to find another team in NFL history that went through as much crap as Buffalo did this year and still managed to go 13-3 in the regular season and win a playoff game with one of the harder SoSs in that year.

I had issues with the offensive and defensive gameplan by Dorsey and Frazier.  Obviously a problem--big problem as far as Frazier goes when you're playing zone with guys 10 yards off the line against a QB with one of the quickest releases in the NFL.

But let's all take a breath.  This clearly wasn't our year.  But maybe it's more Acts of God than the team just not being good.

It is the journey that makes us men. 

10 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

This is the grim reality.  Reminds me of when we lost to Chiefs in AFC Championship game.

It sucks that we have already been knocked down as the Chiefs main rival.  It’s now the Bengals.  When next season starts the Bills will prob be lumped in with the Ravens, Chargers, Jags, etc.  Maybe even picked by some to finish 2nd in the AFC East. 

Possibly with lower expectations and fewer injuries the team will overperform in the playoffs should they get there. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.