Benford to safety?

John from Riverside

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’ve heard musings of this before, but today was the first time that I actually heard it on one bills live at the bills are planning to move Christian Benford to safety

Thoughts?

Honestly I'd be a little surprised if it's not at least tried. B-)

It makes some sense assuming Buffalo thinks they have starters on the roster at CB - namely Kaiir Elam Tre White and Johnson.  It's pretty clear that when both Hyde and Poyer are on the field the Bills get elite play out of their safeties.  It's just as clear that when one of them is out, the Bills get inadequate play out of all their backup players at safety.  If the Bills think they can get starter quality play out of Benford at safety, it reduces the urgency of drafting a replacement for Poyer should it be impractical to re-sign him.  If the Bills do re-sign Poyer, Benford would still give quality depth and avoid the drop-off in play they had this year.  They have a better record of finding quality CBs in the draft than safeties.

• Agree 2

Yeah I don't think Benford is fast enough where you could play him in man coverage at corner more than part time so I'm all for the idea. He has shown good tackling fundamentals so I'm optimistic this could be a good move. I also expect a safety drafted somewhere as this is supposed to be a pretty good class.

Yeah I don't think Benford is fast enough where you could play him in man coverage at corner more than part time so I'm all for the idea. He has shown good tackling fundamentals so I'm optimistic this could be a good move. I also expect a safety drafted somewhere as this is supposed to be a pretty good class.  I'm gonna get the papers get the papers.

Edited by TheBeaneBandit

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’ve heard musings of this before, but today was the first time that I actually heard it on one bills live at the bills are planning to move Christian Benford to safety

Thoughts?

This is just proof that Beane and McDermott read the stadium wall, guys here were way ahead of the curve on this one, 😁👍

Now maybe they will get the O-line taken care of too, 🤞

13 hours ago, harmonkillebrew said:

He's got similar size to Poyer. Is considered a ballhawk and touted for his physicality.

Would make a lot of sense.

comes down to Hamlin, Marlowe or Benford and I will take Benford with a training camp at the position and year in the secondary under his belt, plus saves money under the salary cap...no drafted rookie is going to start for the Bills if they can help it.

14 hours ago, StHustle said:

Hamlin will be back. Bet that.

I wouldn’t bet it (partly because I don’t gamble), but if he does return it would not completely shock me. Maybe we’ll hear more in the coming months to shed some light on that possibility. 

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go sign up for medical school. 

There's the possibility that at this point we don't have any Safeties on our roster.

Poyer likely gets more than we can afford to pay elsewhere. Though his injury filled season may lower his value on the market.

Marlowe and Johnson are free agents

Hyde and Hamlin may never play again because of medical conditions

Neal was used at Safety before being moved to CB. He could be a candidate to move back.

2 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

There's the possibility that at this point we don't have any Safeties on our roster.

Poyer likely gets more than we can afford to pay elsewhere. Though his injury filled season may lower his value on the market.

Marlowe and Johnson are free agents

Hyde and Hamlin may never play again because of medical conditions

Neal was used at Safety before being moved to CB. He could be a candidate to move back.

Hyde was possibly ready to be back for tomorrow's game if the Bills made it.  Another 6 months (to training camp) and he should definitely be good to go, barring any unforeseen complications/events.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Hyde was possibly ready to be back for tomorrow's game if the Bills made it.  Another 6 months (to training camp) and he should definitely be good to go, barring any unforeseen complications/events.

It's possible Hyde will be back and I hope he is, but after having Vertebra fused in his neck, or whatever they did, I wouldn't go into the season expecting him to be the player he was, if he plays at all.

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Thoughts?

McDermott said it was a consideration in his end-of-season presser on Monday.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Thoughts?

I didn't think it was a definite PLAN . He played well when he got an opportunity so I wonder if they leave him at CB to develop.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.