Benford to safety?

John from Riverside

Yes please. Benford's RAS score was near perfect for safety, and we saw how good his athleticism looked at CB. Benford could be nice in the Poyer role in 2023. I would like the Bills to make a major youth movement at certain positions it will need to happen and happen fast. Hyde has one more year, but if I'm the Bills I'm finding another small school diamond who can be this years Benford, and pair them come 2024. PS - I'm writing this assuming Hamlin is not given medical clearance to return or decides to retire. We don't know the long-term prognosis on Hamlin returning to the field for 2023, or beyond. I do love Hamlin and his fearlessness when attmpting a tackle.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

PS - I'm writing this assuming Hamlin is not given medical clearance to return or decides to retire. We don't know the long-term prognosis on Hamlin returning to the field for 2023, or beyond. I do love Hamlin and his fearlessness when attmpting a tackle.

Hamlin will be back. Bet that.

• Disagree 4
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

I was clamoring for him to get time at Safety half the season. Even with with only a week of reps, he couldn't have been as bad as Jaquon Johnson. I think he'll make a very good Safety with a full offseason to prep.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, 947 said:

I was clamoring for him to get time at Safety half the season. Even with with only a week of reps, he couldn't have been as bad as Jaquon Johnson. I think he'll make a very good Safety with a full offseason to prep.

I was clamoring for it on the day they drafted him!  On draft day, Beane said it would be easier to start him at CB and move him to safety. They needed to do this in camp, IMO. 

20 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

With all respect to Hamlin, he won’t make our team better. 

I had a couple of thoughts/questions on Hamlin. 1. Will he be allowed back to play? Its seems very risky for him to play football ever again after that freaky injury and near death experience and I wonder if the Bills or any team would want that risk.  2. Hamlin seemed like a decent talent but nothing special before his injury. Oddly Just before he got hurt, I was frustrated he got burned by the Bengals pass attack in that game. I went back and looked at his stats, they are very ordinary. So his impact on the team wasnt huge and I guess if he didnt play again, it wouldnt matter that much? Or is that too harsh a conclusion on such a small sample size.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Lotta smoke about him becoming the SS next year and I’d love it. McDermott also loves when Safeties have played CB or know the position well. Helps with spacing and disguising coverage.

As long as we’re running McDermott’s defense and he’s calling the shots next year, I’m nearly certain Benford will at least get a crack at it.

His tackling at the CB position was awesome. My only concern is pursuit angles from SS. There could be some learning moments in the early season.

• Like (+1) 4

Yes!  I can totally see it.  We're pretty set at corner if Tre gets back to form - Elam on the other side, Johnson in the slot.  Benford is talented, a real late-round find & has the physicality to play safety.  

Then, we can let Poyer walk (hate to say that, as he's one of my faves, but it's the smart business move), and not have to expend draft capital to fill that void.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

With all respect to Hamlin, he won’t make our team better. 

I agree. Damar was a nice short-term replacement for Micah but he's not a starter. I think Benford would make a great strong safety. Wasn't thrilled with the idea of Tre transitioning to S. Micah will be ready to go by September. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.