No trade Mock Drafts

RyanC883

On 1/28/2023 at 8:11 PM, Billz4ever said:

I really think it needs to be one of the higher prospects.  I don't want to see any reaches.  There's never a guarantee that a draft pick develops into the player you need and what you want to do with him, but there's a greater likelihood that happens with a higher-level prospect and that they can immediately contribute.  With the playing time Shakir got this year, they clearly didn't feel that way.

Davis was a 4th round pick and they keep trying to claim he's our legit WR2 and I'm not seeing it.  Get a Rice, Flowers, Downs or Hyatt and get Diggs and Josh some immediate help.

As much as I think we need Wr help this yrs Wr draft class is as weak as I can remember. Maybe just as bad as the 2008 WR class

• Agree 1

On 2/2/2023 at 10:08 AM, IronMaidenBills said:

Jalin Hyatt is worth the #27 at face value anyways. All SEC WRs that ran sub 4.4 and posted at least one 1,000 yard season went in the first round. Not only did they go in the first round, every single example the WR with similar stats went on or are looking like all pros. 

On 2/2/2023 at 11:11 AM, OldTimer1960 said:

Henry Riggs didn’t.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:00 PM, John from Riverside said:

There are exceptions

When Henry Ruggs came out, did anybody expect him to flop the way that he did?

Ruggs never had a 1000 yard season in college. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/henry-ruggs-iii-1.html

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
Link

12 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Ruggs never had a 1000 yard season in college. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/henry-ruggs-iii-1.html

The above is a correct and astute observation, but further explanation is in order.  

Ruggs was a very good wr at Alabama but the truth is, he was never the best receiver on that team. In fact, I'm not sure that he was ever the 2nd best. He played with fellow receivers such as Davonta Smith, Jalen Waddle, and a host of others. I saw a video of Ruggs racing Waddle. It was close but Ruggs beat him by a step.

Those teams also had great offensive lines and a head coach who deep down would rather run the ball with a team full of very good running backs who could also catch.

In other words, there was SO much talent that really all of their chances were spread out thus limited just a bit.

Ruggs and Jameson Williams were the two fastest players that I ever saw at Alabama. I really can't say which one was faster but again, I saw quite a few better receivers than Ruggs. What I will say is that if he had a QB like Josh Allen, Ruggs could have caught 70 yard bombs. I never saw him caught from behind, ever.

His off field incident was obviously beyond horrible. 😟

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/3/2023 at 11:51 PM, Special K said:

I guess it's pretty tough to blossom into a high-end number 1 receiver when you are awaiting jail time for Aggravated Vehicular Homicide.

That is part of what you evaluate when assessing players.  Now, i admit I haven’t seen anything suggesting that Hyatt has off-field issues.

27. Broderick Jones T - Georgia.  He was there, he was taken.  He might lack experience and has some things to clean up but he'll figure it out.  Outstanding prospect.

59. Jack Campbell- LB Iowa.  Won just about every award possible.  Won just about every award possible this year.  Butkus, Nagurski, Unanimous, Consensus All America. More than just a run stopper, decent enough in coverage.  Opposing QB rating when targeted of around 70 this year.  Unless he bombs at the Combine, which is unlikely, he's a fit.  He might not have the top end speed of Edmunds, but he will be in the right place in run and pass defense.  Edmunds re-signing money, if any, is better spent elsewhere.

91. RIcky Stromberg- C Arkansas.  Steady, well rounded and extremely well coached.  Had a good Shrine Bowl Week, won the SEC's Jacobs Blocking Award in2022. DIdn't give up at sack this year, with only 7 pressures.

130 Jammie Robinson - S FLorida State.  He keeps coming up around this position in the draft.  Hits, covers, tackles, makes plays.

139. Jayden Reed - WR Michigan St.  voted best practice player among WR's in the Senior Bowl, as voted by the DBs.  Production fell off this year with injuries and ...Michigan State's offense, after a 1000 yard year in 2021.  He looked healthy during Senior Bowl week and was regularly beating DBs.  Fast and good cutting ability.

205 Karl Brooks -DT Bowling Green.  He put up incredible numbers at Bowling Green, including 20 sacks and an incredible 96 pressures in the past 2 years.  Had a very good Senior Bowl week, he was probably beating his man off the ball more than any interior DL. 

**potential UDFA.  Caleb Murphy -Edge, Ferris State.  Yeah, he'll be drafted...but what the hell.  25 sacks last year, 40 in the past 2 years.  an incredible 39 TFLs in one year alone.  First time DII winner of the Ted Hendricks award.

5 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Still think we need to trade down from 27 a few spots if we can. But without trades and some thoughts on FA, not too bad. 

140173689_Screenshot_20230209_080659_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.01cfb7eb21738a7dc71a7b63af073137.jpg

The latest mock on ESPN+ has us taking Mauch in the first round, which I see as a stretch.  I think we can get quality OL in the second, third, and even fourth.  I don't think the higher prospect WRs will still be on the board when we pick in the second, so if we want one, they will have to do it in the first.  Either that or try to trade out of the first to pick earlier in the second and get an additional pick in the process.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 2/4/2023 at 1:56 PM, jkeerie said:

image.thumb.png.a9569e1aeb1a6d9d67fd219d555ea49e.png

My mock based on who was available at each pick in the draft.  Thoughts on these selections?

Flowers is highly thought of, some good wheels and catches everything. Schmitz probably goes higher than 57 after Senior Bowl. Robinson is very good. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lofton80 said:

Flowers is highly thought of, some good wheels and catches everything. Schmitz probably goes higher than 57 after Senior Bowl. Robinson is very good. 

I would love it if the draft fell this way, but like you, I don't believe it's realistic.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CookieG said:

27. Broderick Jones T - Georgia.  He was there, he was taken.  He might lack experience and has some things to clean up but he'll figure it out.  Outstanding prospect.

59. Jack Campbell- LB Iowa.  Won just about every award possible.  Won just about every award possible this year.  Butkus, Nagurski, Unanimous, Consensus All America. More than just a run stopper, decent enough in coverage.  Opposing QB rating when targeted of around 70 this year.  Unless he bombs at the Combine, which is unlikely, he's a fit.  He might not have the top end speed of Edmunds, but he will be in the right place in run and pass defense.  Edmunds re-signing money, if any, is better spent elsewhere.

91. RIcky Stromberg- C Arkansas.  Steady, well rounded and extremely well coached.  Had a good Shrine Bowl Week, won the SEC's Jacobs Blocking Award in2022. DIdn't give up at sack this year, with only 7 pressures.

130 Jammie Robinson - S FLorida State.  He keeps coming up around this position in the draft.  Hits, covers, tackles, makes plays.

139. Jayden Reed - WR Michigan St.  voted best practice player among WR's in the Senior Bowl, as voted by the DBs.  Production fell off this year with injuries and ...Michigan State's offense, after a 1000 yard year in 2021.  He looked healthy during Senior Bowl week and was regularly beating DBs.  Fast and good cutting ability.

205 Karl Brooks -DT Bowling Green.  He put up incredible numbers at Bowling Green, including 20 sacks and an incredible 96 pressures in the past 2 years.  Had a very good Senior Bowl week, he was probably beating his man off the ball more than any interior DL. 

**potential UDFA.  Caleb Murphy -Edge, Ferris State.  Yeah, he'll be drafted...but what the hell.  25 sacks last year, 40 in the past 2 years.  an incredible 39 TFLs in one year alone.  First time DII winner of the Ted Hendricks award.

You think Jones is available at 27? 

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

You think Jones is available at 27? 

Possibly, but its Feb, there are still a ton of things that can happen between now and April.

He was there on the sim...so I took him. There are probably a number of people in my mock who won't be there when I chose them. Brooks at 205 for instance.

The PFN staff doesn't create team's big boards.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Using others thoughts.

Drafted Harrison and moving Dawkins to LG.

Campbell to replace Edmunds.

Tippmann to either replace Morse or put at RG and move Bates to Center.

Johnson to replace Singletary. Bigger, Stronger and Faster.

Jarrett as a WR#2. I just really LIKE this kid. Other than the size of his hands, I picture a Diggs jr.😉

Bernard-Converse (CB/S) to replace Poyer (sorry) he takes one DB spot and Benford takes the other.

Use the money saved from Morse to re-sign Boetteger, maybe another slot wr and depth OLine piece. 

309419552_Screenshot_20230213_151959_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1cfc7c970efabc72039a2864546d734d.jpg

On 1/27/2023 at 1:32 PM, FireChans said:

Mayer won’t last til 27. Also, not interested in another highly paid TE to not throw to.

Fine.

Another 3rd round RB will make my head explode. 

Fine.

Fine.

fine.

Overall, would absolutely HATE this draft. 

I'm with you all the way on the running back...

here is what I got today: 

Bijan Robinson

RB Texas

(do I want a RB in the 1st round.  No.  But this guy is a top 10 talent, and will make the offense better, assuming Daboll commits to a running game.  A day 1 weapon for Allen, and the only day 1 weapon available when I drafted).  

Darnell Wright

OT Tennessee

(OT who allowed no sacks last year)

DeMarvion Overshown

LB Texas

(big 6-4 rangy LB.  Edmunds replacement) 

Trey Palmer

WR Nebraska

(fast, big WR.  route-tree may be somewhat limited, but that should be fixable) 

Jaquelin Roy

DT LSU

(Oliver replacement.  Strong and can hold-up blockers and clog the middle) 

Nathaniel Dell

WR Houston

(small, fast WR.  Future Beasley replacement if he can develop a route tree.  For now, may be a KR or a threat to take the top off).  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.