WNY staple mentioned in today's NYT crossword puzzle

WhoTom

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

That was why I did not like beer growing up until my taste buds matured and I tasted Molson.

Ummm, that is a bit spooky! One of my first dates with my wife was at a club watching the Doug Flutie Hail Mary game and she bought me a Molson. It was my beer of choice in WNY and I’d get some from time to time since then.

I bet I haven’t had one in the last 15 years….but last night I dreamed I was at a crazy party where everyone brought their dogs (it’s a dream, OK?) and I had a Molson for the first time in forever. I could taste it! Just about 6-8 hours ago!  BTW - since it’s not a tailgate, in my dreams is the only place I should be having a beer of any type at that hour.  🍺 😋

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Ummm, that is a bit spooky! One of my first dates with my wife was at a club watching the Doug Flutie Hail Mary game and she bought me a Molson. It was my beer of choice in WNY and I’d get some from time to time since then.

I bet I haven’t had one in the last 15 years….but last night I dreamed I was at a crazy party where everyone brought their dogs (it’s a dream, OK?) and I had a Molson for the first time in forever. I could taste it! Just about 6-8 hours ago!  BTW - since it’s not a tailgate, in my dreams is the only place I should be having a beer of any type at that hour.  🍺 😋

I was in dorms in my first year at UB in 1979.  There was a guy in a fraternity who would go around looking for extras to help him buy beer in Canada.  In return for helping him buy he bought us Chinese food.  He drove this big Chevy over Peace Bridge to Fort Erie, would stop by beer store and buy 12 cases of beer (all of had to show our id), then he would take us to Chinese fast food place and order us dinner.  Then we would buy gas, return to Peace Bridge ("Beer, Chinese Food and Gas" was always our response on bridge) and return to UB Dorm.  Each week he would go by our floor and ask if anyone wanted a free meal.  I was a regular and I started lining up extras for him.  One day after pickup he went up to our floor lounge and thanked me for getting extras for him saving him time.  He gave me a Molson which usually went to fraternity saying "they can spare a few bottles".  I told him I only drank mixed drinks and not like beer.  He told me to try it and I got a cup and poured some in not wanting to waste it and discovered I liked it.  He told me lots of freshmen in fraternity did not like the local beer (mostly Genesee Cream Ale) which is why he bought cases of beer each week. I got invite to fraternity but had no interest.

This later became a statement on my security clearance application on why I had been in Canada almost every week.  Back then it took little time to cross border.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I was in dorms in my first year at UB in 1979.  There was a guy in a fraternity who would go around looking for extras to help him buy beer in Canada.  In return for helping him buy he bought us Chinese food.  He drove this big Chevy over Peace Bridge to Fort Erie, would stop by beer store and buy 12 cases of beer (all of had to show our id), then he would take us to Chinese fast food place and order us dinner.  Then we would buy gas, return to Peace Bridge ("Beer, Chinese Food and Gas" was always our response on bridge) and return to UB Dorm.  Each week he would go by our floor and ask if anyone wanted a free meal.  I was a regular and I started lining up extras for him.  One day after pickup he went up to our floor lounge and thanked me for getting extras for him saving him time.  He gave me a Molson which usually went to fraternity saying "they can spare a few bottles".  I told him I only drank mixed drinks and not like beer.  He told me to try it and I got a cup and poured some in not wanting to waste it and discovered I liked it.  He told me lots of freshmen in fraternity did not like the local beer (mostly Genesee Cream Ale) which is why he bought cases of beer each week. I got invite to fraternity but had no interest.

This later became a statement on my security clearance application on why I had been in Canada almost every week.  Back then it took little time to cross border.

Ahh, the funny things from our youth that follows us! I was applying for Clear to get thru the (bigass stinkin’) ATL airport faster. One of the questions asked which of the following streets I had lived on. My first reaction was: none of them. But it had to be one! I realized one was a house I lived in in college for about 10 months. I never had a drivers license in that state, wasn’t registered to vote and I don’t think I was even on the lease. But I did live there for a while. I think Big Brother was just showing off. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.