With Oliver Value Goes Beyond the Stat Line

I can see Big Ed going to another team and be a force but they obviously need other talent around him because he's usually invisible vs a double team. But he has pro bowl potential 

There was a drop off with no Von and even worse with no Jones. 

Shoot, consistency wise I'm kind of pulling more towards Jones than Oliver when you add in their cap hits and everything 

• Like (+1) 2

Oliver has an Army. His detractors think adios to him and his horse he rode in on.

He’s getting another nice contract somewhere. Were he a late 1st or early 2nd, his play be less dissected and more acceptable.

Like with Edmunds, resigning them has an uncomfortable roll of the dice feeling.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The issue with Oliver is the same as with Edmunds. Both were taken in the top half of the first round of the draft and through four seasons both flashed, but failed to live up to their draft position. Neither were extended before their fifth year option for that reason. 

People always make this argument, and it drives me nuts.  Where the guy was drafted is completely irrelevant to any discussion of his future with the team.   All that matters is that you get the best 53 guys on the roster you can, given your cap situation and the players that are available.  If Oliver is one of the best 53, it makes absolutely no difference where he was drafted.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

People always make this argument, and it drives me nuts.  Where the guy was drafted is completely irrelevant to any discussion of his future with the team.   All that matters is that you get the best 53 guys on the roster you can, given your cap situation and the players that are available.  If Oliver is one of the best 53, it makes absolutely no difference where he was drafted.  

In general that’s not how it has worked in the NFL. That a player was drafted highly absolutely has made a ton of difference when it has come to that player’s second contract with the team that drafted him. While it is not without exception, it is rare that a first round pick takes a contract out of line with their draft position. When it does happen it is usually after the player tests the market and finds it lacking.

Putting the best roster together means spending wisely. Overpaying for players versus their value to your team obviously works against that. 

2 hours ago, IndyMark said:

I think you misunderstood.  We would put another player in the 3DT slot, not just remove Ed and leave it blank.

The preference would be someone a bit larger and sturdier whom can perform in less than ideal conditions.

I do not think anyone said remove Oliver and leave blank?  'Cuz there is no way you are saying Ed is irreplaceable, are you?

Spoiler alert = he is quite replaceable.

I am unsure if you are just be sarcastic/joking around or if you actually think that is the OP's point. 

Your internet deadpan is impressive.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Oliver has been hurt all year when healthy is a difference maker

i get this, but there are threads on this forum with (X) player was hurt all year.  Every player gets banged up.  Every team that is left has players banged up.  Perhaps Oliver was more than others, but it's getting tiring at this point.  I think he was a huge miss at No. 9.  He's never been someone the O has to account for because he is too small.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Let me start right off that Oliver is not on a level with Williams, Jones, or Donald, but to judge his value solely by the stat line is misleading.

It is pretty common knowledge that Oliver played injured the last half of the season (as did most of the D line) where he saw a disproportional number of double teams than the rest of his linemates. In a Frasier defense, thats kind of the plan. Clog up the middle freeing up the LBs to make a tackle.

Unfortunately, your DE (insert whichever name you like) was routinely beat 1 on 1 by the opposing tackle or tight end, and the pulling lineman blew up your LB, which in most cases was Taron Johnson, resulting in a big run.

Dont forget the 1st half of the season, where you couldn't double team BOTH Miller and Oliver, so there was a lot more pass rush pressure up the middle, and success against the run.

Removing Oliver from the center of the line when Miller is back means less success defending the middle of the line..it frees up an offensive lineman from the other team.

The real disaster on the D line is the complete whiff in drafting a bunch of 1st and 2nd round edge rushers that are anything but....

Lol 

Only one of them has a top ten pedigree.

He hasn't performed to his draft status, and should get a second tier contract offer, if one at all 

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Ed Oliver is not worth 10M/yr, end of story.  You can get his production for half that.  We need to treat Ed the way Matrix treated Sully.... (What happened to Sully?  I let him go....)

commando11.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=947f6a9481

I'd like to see Ed traded, but I don't know if we'd get a taker.  A 3rd rounder would be awesome, but probably wishful thinking.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Malazan said:

The Bills have a lot of players whose 'value' goes beyond the stat line. I'd like a few more players whose value is in the stats. 

This!

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Oliver has been hurt all year when healthy is a difference maker

Hilarity ensues 

9 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I'd like to see Ed traded, but I don't know if we'd get a taker.  A 3rd rounder would be awesome, but probably wishful thinking.

I would consider a 5th, and free up that 10m.  Gives us a 5th flyer and can use half that money to replace Oliver and no one will even notice a difference 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, IndyMark said:

I think you misunderstood.  We would put another player in the 3DT slot, not just remove Ed and leave it blank.

The preference would be someone a bit larger and sturdier whom can perform in less than ideal conditions.

I do not think anyone said remove Oliver and leave blank?  'Cuz there is no way you are saying Ed is irreplaceable, are you?

Spoiler alert = he is quite replaceable.

Not easily, he's not replaceable.

He had a very good year, and he's a very good player.

We all hope he gets even better, but OP is right that he's worth a lot beyond the stats.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.