Your Offseason Upgrades to the OLine

Warriorspikes51

I’m having a problem having faith that the Bills know how to identify OL talent.  Dawkins is their best OL player and he is not anywhere near the best at his position. The interior line is very mediocre at best. Sadly I’d think we’d probably be complaining about the whiffs on the OL ad much as the DL had the investment been made there instead. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Ideally they should move Bates back to LG (where he was also good), kick Spencer Brown inside to RG (which hides his weaknesses and accentuates his strengths), pray to god that Morse doesn't retire and then use that 1st rnd pick on a bluechip OL prospect to play RT. 

If you pick the right guy, you potentially upgrade 3 starting positions on the OL with minimal cap cost and only have to use a single asset to do it. Then you still have the rest of your draft picks and what cap space you have to keep Edmunds and fill multiple other needs.

Regardless of what they do, they really need to nail this draft to extend their window of contention.

Well said Simon. That's best case scenario. Gonna be hard to find that blue chip starting RT though. 

• Agree 1

FA Dalton Risner OG Denver.  When I attended the Senior Bowl practices he rotated in at Center and was solid. Potential replacement for Morse in coming years.

Round 2 draft: OG Cooper Beebe. Solid OG Kansas State.

Funny thing Risner and Cooper Beebe both from K State.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, IndyMark said:

Wait a minute!  How 'bout we plug Ed Oliver into the Guard position.

Boom! Two problems solved.

No need to thank me Brandon Beane, just doing my part.

Next problem?

Ed's way to small for that!

He's too small for the position he plays now!

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Don’t think the Bills can keep Edmunds AND get a significant OL upgrade in FA. They’re in bad cap shape, so paying anyone a premium will come with hurdles anyway.

I remember reports from camp that the 1st team DL had to be pulled so that the 1st team offense could get work. Apparently the DL was just dominate. I also remember after that first game against the Rams how Stafford peeled himself off the turf after yet another hit with a bloody elbow, 2 or 3 of his lineman on the ground next to him. The DL dominated early and through injuries, wear and tear, and whatever other reasons, they were a shell of that training camp unit against the Bengals. 

Let Edmunds walk and get an OL in here that will allow me the first team offense to compete in the trenches against the first team DL. And the rest of the league’s first team DL.

Not a huge fan of Edmunds. Beane actually is and all his comments indicate he will give Edmunds the big money. 

Edmunds actually played well this year. You could actually see the significant drop off when he wasn't in the line up. However, was this more of a one hot season due to his contract year? His previous years weren't nearly as productive. 

I think his signing or not signing will tell us what direction the team wants to go. Sign him and solidify the defense. Create a hole get a stop gap LB and put the money towards the offense. I think they will resign Edmunds. 

7 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

I’m having a problem having faith that the Bills know how to identify OL talent.  Dawkins is their best OL player and he is not anywhere near the best at his position. The interior line is very mediocre at best. Sadly I’d think we’d probably be complaining about the whiffs on the OL ad much as the DL had the investment been made there instead. 

It’s not just the trenches. Beane also passed on a number of game breaking wide receivers and had the temerity to say if he had a shot at someone like Ja’marr Chase he would’ve ran to the podium with the card. They’ve had shots at receivers on, or close to Chase’s level yet didn’t pick any of them. That’s an evaluation issue. They selected Elam in the first this year and he had games where he was a healthy scratch. Thats inexcusable. Beane hit it out of the park with one pick - Josh Allen. That’s it. He’s been “good” on a few others, but no other blue chippers or game breakers have been selected under his watch. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Not a huge fan of Edmunds. Beane actually is and all his comments indicate he will give Edmunds the big money. 

Edmunds actually played well this year. You could actually see the significant drop off when he wasn't in the line up. However, was this more of a one hot season due to his contract year? His previous years weren't nearly as productive. 

I think his signing or not signing will tell us what direction the team wants to go. Sign him and solidify the defense. Create a hole get a stop gap LB and put the money towards the offense. I think they will resign Edmunds. 

I think it’s less about his contract year and more about having a better DL in front of him. When healthy the DL was pretty good, still had bad games where you wonder what was going on, but with Von and Greg on the outside, a healthy Oliver and Jones on the inside, and a quality backup like Phillips, they weren’t the worst in the world and Edmunds benefitted. Translated into Milano’s first “first team” all pro too. Thing is, I need a LB that can make plays when all isn’t perfect in front of him. And that hasn’t been Edmunds.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I think it’s less about his contract year and more about having a better DL in front of him. When healthy the DL was pretty good, still had bad games where you wonder what was going on, but with Von and Greg on the outside, a healthy Oliver and Jones on the inside, and a quality backup like Phillips, they weren’t the worst in the world and Edmunds benefitted. Translated into Milano’s first “first team” all pro too. Thing is, I need a LB that can make plays when all isn’t perfect in front of him. And that hasn’t been Edmunds.

They drafted LB Bernard in the 3rd round. Maybe he's the replacement? The organization is investing in the younger guys and projecting them to learn and play better. So maybe Bernard is next man up.

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Edmunds actually played well this year. You could actually see the significant drop off when he wasn't in the line up. However, was this more of a one hot season due to his contract year? His previous years weren't nearly as productive

I respectfully disagree....A.j. Klein is a much better LB and we would have been better off playing  a 4-3 with him, but that's another argument.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

LT: Dion Dawkins

LG: Broderick Jones (1st round)

OC: Mitch Morse (Ryan Bates primary b/u)

RG: Spencer Brown 

RT: Dewand Jones (2nd round)

• Re-sign David Quessenberry

• Re-sign Ike Boettger

3rd, 4th, 5th and 5th picks left.

(needs LB, S, WR)

Would consider moving Oliver for maybe a 2nd? Isaiah McKenzie maybe a 4th?

I'd get to drafting a center.  

No FA linemen over age 30.

No more Roger Saffold. Strong man, but has the foot quickness of a 70-year old man.  

IMO, the biggest area of improvement for the Bills offensive line is conditioning and more importantly,  improving agility and balance.  I watch teams like the Eagles and Ravens who have stout lines, and their linemen do not appear as gassed with the huffing/puffing.  They are active with the hands, have quick feet, and good balance.   

Just add here, I think the Bates looking more comfy at left guard thing has two sides to it. First, he was playing next to Dion as opposed to Spencer Brown. Playing next to an experienced guy makes a lot of difference for a young guy. Also at PSU he made the majority of his starts at LT, so in practice he was never working as a swing type guy and would have taken all his reps in indy as a LT. So perhaps he just has a natural feel for that right side. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

He's still pretty young.  I don't think this was a "contract year" thing as much as a guy who has finally grown into the position at the NFL level.

He reminds me a bit of Polamalu.  I'm hoping they figure out how to keep him.  I think he'll only get better.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Success said:

He's still pretty young.  I don't think this was a "contract year" thing as much as a guy who has finally grown into the position at the NFL level.

He reminds me a bit of Polamalu.  I'm hoping they figure out how to keep him.  I think he'll only get better.

He's cluless adios. I sure as hell ain't paying him 15 plus....nope hard pass. I d rather draft his replacement.

7 hours ago, Simon said:

Ideally they should move Bates back to LG (where he was also good), kick Spencer Brown inside to RG (which hides his weaknesses and accentuates his strengths), pray to god that Morse doesn't retire and then use that 1st rnd pick on a bluechip OL prospect to play RT. 

If you pick the right guy, you potentially upgrade 3 starting positions on the OL with minimal cap cost and only have to use a single asset to do it. Then you still have the rest of your draft picks and what cap space you have to keep Edmunds and fill multiple other needs.

Regardless of what they do, they really need to nail this draft to extend their window of contention.

I'd sign up for this at a minimum.

The line will need to be rebuilt with an emphasis on building around the Dawkins, Morse, Bates nucleus - which is not really an indication of their quality, but overall just how bad Saffold and Brown were in 2022.

Saffold is old and was a one year rentals.

Brown is more interesting. I thought he had a nice rookie season. He had back offseason back surgery and was not 100% - if he was then cut him. Brown cannot generate power from his base. He's really good at falling over himself and tripping. If Brown is serious about being a 6'8'' mauler, he will spend this offseason doing yoga, plyometrics, and building his lower body strength. 

Bates is meh. Morse is a 30 year old meh. Dawkins was horrible at times, and great at others. More consistency is needed. 

Perhaps the Bills offensive identity in 2023, should be trying to run the ball on specific early game drives to allow the OL to maul the smaller fronts teams deploy to stop our pass. 

Certainly need to find 2 starters (LG and RT), which can be found via the draft and FA. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.