Overreaction.com

TC in St. Louis

I wonder if Chan Gailey could be talked into coming in for 6 weeks, work with Dorsey and set up a screen/short game that would integrate into whatever Dorsey’s current offense is supposed to be.  Chan was also a QB and could probably help Dorsey flush out bad plays.

Chan was innovative, had a creative offensive mind + he loved Buffalo.  Not a permanent gig - just a couple of months to unclog Dorsey’s brain.

2009, we put out 273.9 ypg on offense.  He came in 2010 and when he left in 2011, we were at 351.5.

• Like (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

10 more guys acting the way Diggs behaved on Sunday night and Monday would be a total disaster. There isn't a successful team on the planet that has consistently won at any professional sport with a roster full of that behavior. You might get one good season, but inevitably it would crumble. 

for sure.  I mean with that competitive fire.  Few guys seemed to have that in the game outside of Diggs, Knox, Milano, and Allen.  The rest of them looked stunned/defeated.  

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

for sure.  I mean with that competitive fire.  Few guys seemed to have that in the game outside of Diggs, Knox, Milano, and Allen.  The rest of them looked stunned/defeated.  

I am not saying a room full of competitive males don't win. There are loads of people who are just competitive as Diggs. They regularly do things like win Stanley Cups, Super Bowls, Grand Slams, the Olympics, World Championships etc.

I am saying name me a team in any professional and Olympic sport that had 10 guys screaming at each other and storming out of the facility that then were at the top of their medals podium or hoisting their penultimate trophy? 

I'll wait.....

- KC has been to FIVE straight AFC Championship Games.

- CInci has been to TWO straight AFC Championship Games and is one game away from TWO straight Super Bowls.

And Cinci rebuilt in WAY less time.

I don't think its overreacting to say we are falling behind. 

Edited by Einstein
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Cincinnati is the better team. I think they surpassed the Bills this year, and I suspect they surpassed the Chiefs as well and are now the best team in the AFC.

I think they got a little lucky last year, but there is not luck involved now. They are legitimately a contender and here to stay.

It kind of sucks for the Bills because it used to be just the Chiefs as a hurdle. Now it is the Chiefs AND the Bengals. Buffalo needs to have a great off-season and come back next year stronger than ever. There's a lot to clean up on both sides of the ball, and I hope the coaches are taking hard looks at their schemes and implementing real changes. They need to evolve.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Bills were defeated before they ever stepped on the field. They gave them the gameplan for defense and after what they did to them in week 17 they were like uhhh so we are doing the same exact thing? The same thing that got us beat by the Chiefs with 13 seconds left? They lacked confidence and it showed. That's on the coaches to get them ready to play

Yeah, before the playoff game I heard/read McD say they were basically gonna copy/paste the same game plan, and knew we were toast after hearing that.

• Agree 1

The Bills not being right go way, way back before Damar's situation in Cincinnati! 

For half the season some of us warned that our style of play was going to catch us out when it came to running into a really good team in the playoffs, when we need our best performance to win.

Amazingly, MIAMI ALMOST got us in the very first game.

And then the Bengals beat us down.

Bowing out of the playoffs well before our goal of a SB seemed inevitable this year.

The bad part is I think we'll have a slight regression next year, not quite doing as well as we did this year.

1 hour ago, snamsnoops said:

JOSH ALLEN! Everybody RELAX we are going to be ok. Many may disagree but our front office & coaching is solid...... look how far this team has come from REX RYAN... LOL.. we are ok and will be a contender for as long as we have Allen

We all love Josh but let’s be honest, whether Dorsey or not, he regressed this year. I know the stats are still there and he had to play hero ball with horrible line but second half of year he just didn’t seem to be seeing the field and/or forcing things too much. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

21 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Based on last Sunday's sad performance vs. the Bengals, plenty of people are ready to write off this team as a contender.  Including me.  We've been spoiled by all the winning.  Our expectations are justifiably high for this group.  For our guys to play such an apparently passionless game hurt us.  We probably feel we have more passion than the team showed last week.  

Right after we lost, I put something on Facebook saying "No excuses. Cinci outplayed my team and deserved the win. We went 14-4 and I think maybe we ran out of gas."  This was before I read that several people said we "ran out of gas."  That's what it looked like to me.  Since the players stood on the field and watched Damar nearly die right in front of them; some of them openly weeping, most of them just stunned, they have not been the same.  They did not play very well in victories against the Pats and the Fins.  Yet, they won.  Pretty resilient.  

But you could tell their hearts weren't yet healed.  Our team normally would've trounced both those teams.  

I cannot blame them for a "half-hearted" effort....that's probably all they had left.  But that wasn't enough to beat a really good team.  This isn't an excuse; it's a reality.  These are human beings who suffered through many crazy situations.  Hell, Thurman's mom died the night before the game.  Even that may have cast a pall on the organization.  Murph had a stroke.  This was a heart-damaging year for the boys. 

I think that the time off will help them heal.  

I refuse to consider that this team is in trouble.  I think they'll be back, stronger than ever, and they will return to form.  

Nicely done, the emotional challenges you referenced has to factor into that performance. The other thing that was definitely a factor was that slippery track. The D-line couldn’t get traction in pressure or coverage. This team as constructed is much better on a fast track. Our undersized defense is all about speed. That doesn’t takeaway from the fact we were out coached and need to define an offensive identity that doesn’t depend on Josh being Superman.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m with you. I watched the All 22 and we seemed to be in it mentally and physically until the Bengals scored the TD at the very end of the 3rd quarter. We were down 24-10 at that point. Even then, it wasn’t an immediate collapse. We had the long FG drive. The collision between White and Poyer along with the Bengals FG seemed to do it though. It was over, but that looked to be more a function of the game, not the season. 

I’ll add on to the All1-22. I have been relatively critical of Allen in recent weeks just because he hasn’t been seeing the field well. I’ve had little issue with his accuracy (elbow injury) and some big issues with his decision making. I think at times he makes life pretty difficult on the OL by refusing to get the ball out. 

But this Bengals game….None of that was the case. Like at all. I’m not sure even once. 

The guy had no chance. There was nothing. Absolutely nothing Allen could do. And it wasn’t just protection. There was just nobody ever open. It was wild. I don’t know if I have ever watched such a hopeless all-22. 

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, Mango said:

I am not saying a room full of competitive males don't win. There are loads of people who are just competitive as Diggs. They regularly do things like win Stanley Cups, Super Bowls, Grand Slams, the Olympics, World Championships etc.

I am saying name me a team in any professional and Olympic sport that had 10 guys screaming at each other and storming out of the facility that then were at the top of their medals podium or hoisting their penultimate trophy? 

I'll wait.....

we don’t have a team with guys who have hat competitive fire.  was evident in loss to Cincy.  I didn't  mean storming goff the field. 

23 hours ago, Einstein said:

- KC has been to FIVE straight AFC Championship Games.

- CInci has been to TWO straight AFC Championship Games and is one game away from TWO straight Super Bowls.

And Cinci rebuilt in WAY less time.

I don't think its overreacting to say we are falling behind. 

KC rebuilt their oline in 1 offseason..while we are drafting boogie Basham before KC  2 spots later they ran to the podium to draft the best center in Football in creed Humphries 

Edited by Billever76

On 1/27/2023 at 12:18 PM, I am the egg man said:

The finishing touch of the Bills roller coaster season was a putrid playoff performance the NFL world witnessed.

That it was the ‘22 SB finalist made the beat down more glaring because the Bengals were considered an equal.

The Bills are a very good team, the Bengals are better. Lots of teams got their work cut out to tame those Tigers.

The Bengals ownership isn’t to be overlooked. Just like the Browns are gonna Brown so it is with the Bengals.

Burrow need to win one this year or his window will close as quickly as our appears to have.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.