Singletary or Hines or neither?

Inigo Montoya

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah nobody is going to sign Devin to be a feature back. Maybe a #2. I hope that he is not back. He ain’t it. 

Yeah, I don’t understand what people are seeing. The yards per carry stuff doesn’t do much for me. We have Allen spreading the defense out, slinging the ball everywhere. Why shouldn’t we get four yards per carry on the occasional surprise handoff? Our o line is a mess, but I don’t see Singletary as a feature back. I credit him for running well with power, but he doesn’t have anything special. Whenever he bursts past the line of scrimmage I’m waiting for him to get caught from behind. Once he moves into the second level, he has no ability to break away. Those are things I see with my eyes, not told by statistics. Singletary is a nice guy to have on the roster, but I’m not going out of my way to keep him, and wouldn’t worry about losing him. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

He can be part of a pretty good duo though. He’s got a really good career YPC. If only he weren’t so slow. 

I agree, Singletary would seem much better with some help in the backfield. His lack of speed is what I can’t get past. This is a big play offense, and the feature back doesn’t have big play ability. An offense that spreads out the defense needs backs who can take it to the house, otherwise the occasional four yard gain seems like a waste. I think Singletary might be better suited as a contributor in more of a ground and pound attack. 

• Like (+1) 1

Motor complements Cook way better than Hines. Ideally I'd like to keep both. I loved the idea of having a Hines/Cook package, which we saw for 1 game and never again . I believe we saw Cook/Hines for about 15 plays that day and for whatever reason Dorsey stopped that package. I always thought that was a package that could be deadly if used correct 

Hines had 4 offensive reps vs Cincy. Unacceptable. 

They were a very effective rushing team but failed to consistently establish a run gm. Dorsey just refused and alot of times was predictable.  But Motor has proven to be a lifetime 4.6 ypc which is borderline elite and without looking I'm pretty sure Cook was 5.5 ypc in limited reps

I believe this is a coaching issue way more than a talent/player issue

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Heinz is also an excellent punt returner he gives more versatility

I’m not down on Devon. I still think that the problem is who’s blocking in front of them

But this is gonna come down to dollars

Buffalo has never figured that out for some reason. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Bandito said:

Motor by a mile and it ain't close

If they let Motor go ?

Josh will become angry  lol
But I would like all three to remain and draft one who can play teams with upside as short yardage

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I hear ya, I still don’t he will ever be more than a 10-12 carry a game guy. Hes meh

Maybe some downfield blocking might help ?
Morse cant always be the guy downfield . some of the WRs need to get some.

and allow me to circle back to the dipshtick who calls plays Sending receivers deep on a run play  lol

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, Singletary would seem much better with some help in the backfield. His lack of speed is what I can’t get past. This is a big play offense, and the feature back doesn’t have big play ability. An offense that spreads out the defense needs backs who can take it to the house, otherwise the occasional four yard gain seems like a waste. I think Singletary might be better suited as a contributor in more of a ground and pound attack. 

Maybe its the concept that is wrong then ?

Tailor the play calling to help the players succeed.
getting grumpy now
I dislike Dorsey

All the people who are sold on how fast a back has to be are the same ones who would have taken Spiller over Freddie back in the day,  Singletary has plenty of speed to carry the ball and he makes people miss and picks up extra yards.  He just never gets a chance and that's not his fault.  I like Cook a lot also but if it's 3rd and 1 and we need a yard if it's not Allen the next I'd want to see carrying the ball would be Motor.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

If they let Motor go ?

Josh will become angry  lol
But I would like all three to remain and draft one who can play teams with upside as short yardage

Maybe some downfield blocking might help ?
Morse cant always be the guy downfield . some of the WRs need to get some.

and allow me to circle back to the dipshtick who calls plays Sending receivers deep on a run play  lol

If you have speed, downfield blocking doesn’t matter. I mean I like Singletary, but he isn’t special and that’s why you do not pay him. His blocking is ok, he can catch a little. Solid, but meh. And I think that is why they keep drafting RBs, so they never have to pay one. 

12 hours ago, Dopey said:

I don’t see Hines getting a ton of carries. I think he’ll be our primary kick returner. He’s really good at it. Singletary leaves for more money. We’ll draft a rb late and a fa. Just my thoughts. 

And Hines contract will get adjusted.  He either takes a pay cut or his 2023 salary will get converted to a bonus and make him a one year rental.

• Like (+1) 1

Hines either renegotiates or is gone.  Motor will have to be cheap, but in all honesty, I can’t see them bringing him back, he should get a reasonable deal in FA and the Bills should recognize they could have just kept their own UDFA last year and had equal production, there’s no real reason to commit resources to RB.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If you have speed, downfield blocking doesn’t matter. I mean I like Singletary, but he isn’t special and that’s why you do not pay him. His blocking is ok, he can catch a little. Solid, but meh. And I think that is why they keep drafting RBs, so they never have to pay one. 

I feel we fans are looking for someone to blow our proverbial socks off sometimes
 you can scheme him and Cook and Hines to function very well

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

I feel we fans are looking for someone to blow our proverbial socks off sometimes
 you can scheme him and Cook and Hines to function very well

I just want to pay the guy who knocks my socks off. I am just against signing a meh player whose production can be filled by a mid round rookie. Spend another draft pick on another average back. That’s fine in my book. Paying an average RB doesn’t make sense unless he is extremely cheap. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ideally I would like to keep Hines as a gadget player and returner but he has to take a pay cut down to the 2.5ish million range. I would also like to bring back Singletary at around 3.5 million range. 

Between the two I would rather have Singletary back as I think he is a more all around back

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Ideally I would like to keep Hines as a gadget player and returner but he has to take a pay cut down to the 2.5ish million range. I would also like to bring back Singletary at around 3.5 million range. 

Between the two I would rather have Singletary back as I think he is a more all around back

But then you are spending like 6 million or so on the position. In that case I would rather just sign a Miles Sanders, David Montgomery type in that 6-8 million range. Honestly I’d cut down Hines’s pay and replace Devin with a rookie.

3.5 does make some sense though. That was what the range was thats they were going to pay for McKittrick. BTW they got extremely lucky there. Washington did the Bills a favor. He totally sucked this year. No touchdowns. 95 yards rushing, 173 receiving. Got hurt. Might be done as it is his second serious neck injury and he is probably going to get cut. Again, exhibit 6,734 why you don’t pay running backs unless they are elite. After the elite its all the same. 

Hines on a restructure. If he refuses a pay cut, you cut him. If that happens, you look at what Singletary is asking and if it isn't too much, re-sign him. If he is asking too much, get a comparable RB in FA opposite Cook. Draft a RB regardless. If you're without Hines and Singletary - one would have to be Drafted high.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.