Singletary or Hines or neither?

Inigo Montoya

• Inigo Montoya changed the title to Singletary or Hines or neither?

I would rather have Singlerary on Hines contract. I have no interest in paying Hines $4.7M and $5.4M to be a kick returner in our current cap situation. If you are going to be a $5M RB you better touch the ball more than 4 times per game.

I think $5M is a fair AAV for Singletary. 

Given the cap situation, it  would be nice if we weren't paying people just for their special teams capabilities. Ideally your second string guys would be your primary special teams guys.

But we're paying 3rd and 4th string guys like Matakevich, Taiwan, and Kumerow relatively big $ to be our ST aces.

I like that Hines would be both someone who sees the field regularly on offense as well as teams.

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Cook isn't going anywhere.  He has looked better as the season progressed and still has three years left on his rookie contract and has a cap friendly hit of $1.3mm in 2023.  I don't think Beane is going to keep both Singletary and Hines.  It is going to be one or the other.

Nyheim's contract is not cheap, his cap hit in 2023 is $4.79mm, and in 2024 it is $5.48 

https://overthecap.com/player/nyheim-hines/6989

Singletary is an unrestricted free agent and according to Sportrac his projected free agent contract should be right around $5.5mm annually for three years.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/devin-singletary-29110/market-value/

Hines is great in the return game and has stand alone value in that respect.  He has more speed than Motor and is probably a better receiving back than Motor.  We haven't seen him carry the ball much.  In his five years in the league the most carries he's had in a season was 89 in 2020.  That year he averaged 4.3 yds per carry.  His career average is 3.9 yds per carry.  The most receptions Hines had in a season was 63 in both '18 and '20.  His career average yds per reception is 7.4 yds.  Across his career, Hines catch percentage is 77%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HineNy00.htm

Singletary had 177 carries this year and averaged 4.6 yds per carry.  He had 38 receptions this year with an average of 7.4 yds per reception.  The most receptions he's had was 40 in the '21 season.  Across Motor's career, his catch percentage is 75%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SingDe00.htm

The question is which back, Motor or Hines, compliments Cooks the best?  In Cook we have a speedy / receiving back.  That is the same skill set that Hines brings to the table, plus his return skills.  Does it make sense for the offense to have their two primary RBs with essentially the same skill set?  Also, are Cook and Hines able to soak up the 170 plus carries Singletary has a season?   Cooks has looked good running the ball but has a smaller frame.  Can we expect him to hold up carrying the ball 100+ times a year in the NFL?

Singletary's projected free agent contract isn't much more than what Hines is under contract for now.  What does Beane decide to do?  The problem is I don't think Beane can afford both.  Beane's last option is to release both of them and build around Cook with new faces.

I think we will get more bang for the buck with Hines than Singletary given that Hines can return kicks.  It would be nice to keep all 3, but don't know if that happens.

The first question is what happens if we don't sign Motor and either Cook or Hines gets hurt.  Are they going to sign a cheap FA?  Draft a RB?  

The second is why did we bother to trade for Hines or draft a back like Cook if they are never going to get used in the offense like they should be? Earth to Dorsey.

Edited by Billz4ever

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Heinz is also an excellent punt returner he gives more versatility

I’m not down on Devon. I still think that the problem is who’s blocking in front of them

But this is gonna come down to dollars

It's kind of pointless to even discuss RB's until we revamp our OL. I'd lean Hines because I think he'll come slightly cheaper and he's locked up the return position. We'll acquire another rookie contract rb or 2.  Sean fix the damn OL.

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Cook isn't going anywhere.  He has looked better as the season progressed and still has three years left on his rookie contract and has a cap friendly hit of $1.3mm in 2023.  I don't think Beane is going to keep both Singletary and Hines.  It is going to be one or the other.

Nyheim's contract is not cheap, his cap hit in 2023 is $4.79mm, and in 2024 it is $5.48 

https://overthecap.com/player/nyheim-hines/6989

Singletary is an unrestricted free agent and according to Sportrac his projected free agent contract should be right around $5.5mm annually for three years.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/devin-singletary-29110/market-value/

Hines is great in the return game and has stand alone value in that respect.  He has more speed than Motor and is probably a better receiving back than Motor.  We haven't seen him carry the ball much.  In his five years in the league the most carries he's had in a season was 89 in 2020.  That year he averaged 4.3 yds per carry.  His career average is 3.9 yds per carry.  The most receptions Hines had in a season was 63 in both '18 and '20.  His career average yds per reception is 7.4 yds.  Across his career, Hines catch percentage is 77%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HineNy00.htm

Singletary had 177 carries this year and averaged 4.6 yds per carry.  He had 38 receptions this year with an average of 7.4 yds per reception.  The most receptions he's had was 40 in the '21 season.  Across Motor's career, his catch percentage is 75%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SingDe00.htm

The question is which back, Motor or Hines, compliments Cooks the best?  In Cook we have a speedy / receiving back.  That is the same skill set that Hines brings to the table, plus his return skills.  Does it make sense for the offense to have their two primary RBs with essentially the same skill set?  Also, are Cook and Hines able to soak up the 170 plus carries Singletary has a season?   Cooks has looked good running the ball but has a smaller frame.  Can we expect him to hold up carrying the ball 100+ times a year in the NFL?

Singletary's projected free agent contract isn't much more than what Hines is under contract for now.  What does Beane decide to do?  In a perfect world you keep Motor and Hines. The problem is I don't think Beane can afford both.

I see us letting Singletary walk and drafting a 4th-5th round lead type back, a guy like Kendre Miller TCU or Sean Tucker of Syracuse. Drafting Cook in the 2nd round makes me believe he's going to be the man and Hines has years on his deal and will be cheaper than Singletary. Although I like Singletary he doesn't get the carries that would justify the contract he'll be getting/wanting imo but I really liked him when he was called upon.

We traded for Hines and knowing his cap figure. That tells me he's here until the contract runs out. While Devin is our best back right now, James/Hines offer more when comes to game speed/overall talent so think Devin is good as gone and likely replaced with a low cost rookie. I've mentioned before and will keep saying it that feel a guy like Chris Rodriguez Jr would be a good compliment to James if we lose Devin. 

I think they bring back neither. The expectation is that Cook will carry the load and we’ll bring in a very cheap vet or late round pick to be the third down back.

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We traded for Hines and knowing his cap figure. That tells me he's here until the contract runs out. While Devin is our best back right now, James/Hines offer more when comes to game speed/overall talent so think Devin is good as gone and likely replaced with a low cost rookie. I've mentioned before and will keep saying it that feel a guy like Chris Rodriguez Jr would be a good compliment to James if we lose Devin. 

Hines can be cut with no dead cap. He’s probably a goner.

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I think they bring back neither. The expectation is that Cook will carry the load and we’ll bring in a very cheap vet or late round pick to be the third down back.

Hines can be cut with no dead cap. He’s probably a goner.

He's the best return man we've had since Roberts left, why cut him and leave a hole at depth RB and return man? I think we brought Hines in so Shakir and/or McKenzie can focus on WR and while he'll remain. 

• Agree 2

I think Hines will be back and his contract will be re-worked. They will add a year or 2 to the contract and give him some guaranteed money to reduce his cap hit. He provides value as a KR/PR/RB. If you let him and singletary go you need to go out and sign at least 2 running backs. 

I would expect to see a running back room of 

cook- cap hit 1.3

Hines - 3 million

bigger back vet around 2 to 2.5 million cap space 

Edited by khlax3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

I would rather have Singlerary on Hines contract. I have no interest in paying Hines $4.7M and $5.4M to be a kick returner in our current cap situation. If you are going to be a $5M RB you better touch the ball more than 4 times per game.

I think $5M is a fair AAV for Singletary. 

I wouldn't give Singletary $5M per. Just wouldn't. He's too slow and kind of pigeon-holed into his role. Cook is the only one I keep if Hines doesn't agree to cut his $$$ in half.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, khlax3 said:

I think Hines will be back and his contract will be re-worked. They will add a year or 2 to the contract and give him some guaranteed money to reduce his cap hit. He provides value as a KR/PR/RB. If you let him and singletary go you need to go out and sign at least 2 running backs. 

I would expect to see a running back room of 

cook- cap hit 1.3

Hines - 3 million

bigger back vet around 2 to 2.5 million cap space 

Hey khlax

I was with you until the very end, I think they rework Hines but go the rookie route with a solid RB in the middle rounds to round out the RB room.  They should resign Duke to keep a veteran presence in the RB room.  His cap hit was only $300K this year.

If there is an injury mid-season there always seems to be middle of the road / serviceable veteran RBs out there waiting for a GM to call.

That would keep the total cap hit for the RB position at around $5mm.  That $3mm in cap savings can be spent on the O-line or elsewhere.

🍻

I can't believe I'm saying this but IMO the Bills should try to cut CAP friendly deals with both Hines & Singleterry. I have become firmly convinced that the O line is the primary problem with this offense.  And the 2nd biggest issue is finding a consistent #2 & slot WR. 

So if Hines & Motor won't cut a CAP friendly deal don't sign them.  If they do keep them.  RB is a lesser problem then O line and the WR's not named Diggs.

Just now, NewEra said:

Cut Hines. 

Hope that one of them will take a team friendly deal. If not, use that money on another position and bring back Duke and draft a RB mid-late.  

or Bijan 🤣 

Bro, you're about to make some people spaz out on you. :lol:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.