Singletary or Hines or neither?

Inigo Montoya

Cook isn't going anywhere.  He has looked better as the season progressed and still has three years left on his rookie contract and has a cap friendly hit of $1.3mm in 2023.  I don't think Beane is going to keep both Singletary and Hines.  It is going to be one or the other.

Nyheim's contract is not cheap, his cap hit in 2023 is $4.79mm, and in 2024 it is $5.48 

https://overthecap.com/player/nyheim-hines/6989

Singletary is an unrestricted free agent and according to Sportrac his projected free agent contract should be right around $5.5mm annually for three years.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/devin-singletary-29110/market-value/

Hines is great in the return game and has stand alone value in that respect.  He has more speed than Motor and is probably a better receiving back than Motor.  We haven't seen him carry the ball much.  In his five years in the league the most carries he's had in a season was 89 in 2020.  That year he averaged 4.3 yds per carry.  His career average is 3.9 yds per carry.  The most receptions Hines had in a season was 63 in both '18 and '20.  His career average yds per reception is 7.4 yds.  Across his career, Hines catch percentage is 77%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HineNy00.htm

Singletary had 177 carries this year and averaged 4.6 yds per carry.  He had 38 receptions this year with an average of 7.4 yds per reception.  The most receptions he's had was 40 in the '21 season.  Across Motor's career, his catch percentage is 75%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SingDe00.htm

The question is which back, Motor or Hines, compliments Cooks the best?  In Cook we have a speedy / receiving back.  That is the same skill set that Hines brings to the table, plus his return skills.  Does it make sense for the offense to have their two primary RBs with essentially the same skill set?  Also, are Cook and Hines able to soak up the 170 plus carries Singletary has a season?   Cooks has looked good running the ball but has a smaller frame.  Can we expect him to hold up carrying the ball 100+ times a year in the NFL?

Singletary's projected free agent contract isn't much more than what Hines is under contract for now.  What does Beane decide to do?  The problem is I don't think Beane can afford both.  Beane's last option is to release both of them and build around Cook with new faces.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 4

John, the RN, not ketchup.  Just kidding.  Damn autocorrect.

I see Beane letting Motor check the market and then give him a low offer.  Having three RB’s is somewhat of a necessity given how often all RB’s get hurt.  

I think we have a good shot at keeping all of them.  If you’re asking my six fingered friend of it’s an either or, I’d say motor would be gone.  Hones has the speed Motor doesn’t, but Motor has skills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Yeah don't pay either. Never pay a running back, draft them in the 3-6 range, use them for all they are worth, rinse and repeat. 

Restructure Hines and spread that money over two years as a change of pace guy and return guy. 

Say goodbye to Singletary and watch him toil in obscurity as a the #2 back in Jacksonville or something. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 3

None of our backs are irreplaceable. You should be able to find anyone in the draft who can play at the level of our starters. Ironically, we drafted Moss who made that statement seem untrue. Cook is just a pass catcher and situational guy so that’s a separate conversation. 

34 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Cook isn't going anywhere.  He has looked better as the season progressed and still has three years left on his rookie contract and has a cap friendly hit of $1.3mm in 2023.  I don't think Beane is going to keep both Singletary and Hines.  It is going to be one or the other.

Nyheim's contract is not cheap, his cap hit in 2023 is $4.79mm, and in 2024 it is $5.48 

https://overthecap.com/player/nyheim-hines/6989

Singletary is an unrestricted free agent and according to Sportrac his projected free agent contract should be right around $5.5mm annually for three years.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/devin-singletary-29110/market-value/

Hines is great in the return game and has stand alone value in that respect.  He has more speed than Motor and is probably a better receiving back than Motor.  We haven't seen him carry the ball much.  In his five years in the league the most carries he's had in a season was 89 in 2020.  That year he averaged 4.3 yds per carry.  His career average is 3.9 yds per carry.  The most receptions Hines had in a season was 63 in both '18 and '20.  His career average yds per reception is 7.4 yds.  Across his career, Hines catch percentage is 77%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HineNy00.htm

Singletary had 177 carries this year and averaged 4.6 yds per carry.  He had 38 receptions this year with an average of 7.4 yds per reception.  The most receptions he's had was 40 in the '21 season.  Across Motor's career, his catch percentage is 75%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SingDe00.htm

The question is which back, Motor or Hines, compliments Cooks the best?  In Cook we have a speedy / receiving back.  That is the same skill set that Hines brings to the table, plus his return skills.  Does it make sense for the offense to have their two primary RBs with essentially the same skill set?  Also, are Cook and Hines able to soak up the 170 plus carries Singletary has a season?   Cooks has looked good running the ball but has a smaller frame.  Can we expect him to hold up carrying the ball 100+ times a year in the NFL?

Singletary's projected free agent contract isn't much more than what Hines is under contract for now.  What does Beane decide to do?  In a perfect world you keep Motor and Hines. The problem is I don't think Beane can afford both.

Good topic. That they might let Hines go due to his contract is a real possibility. It is bothersome that he didn’t get more work in the backfield so we could have seen what he brought to the table there. Obviously he had great moments as a return man.

I agree that money will have a lot to do with whom the Bills fill out their backfield, but the answer might be C. New Free Agent(s). The RB market looks like it will be depressed because is should have a lot of good backs on it. The Bills should have some choices for reasonable deals. I can see a new FA and a day 3 draft pick to go along with Cook. 

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah don't pay either. Never pay a running back, draft them in the 3-6 range, use them for all they are worth, rinse and repeat. 

Restructure Hines and spread that money over two years as a change of pace guy and return guy. 

Say goodbye to Singletary and watch him toil in obscurity as a the #2 back in Jacksonville or something. 

A couple years ago I was on here defending Singletary, but I’ve given up on him. I’m not sure why he’s held in high regard. He’s slow, can’t break a big run, and doesn’t concern defenses. He’s our best guy, so he’s been given the most opportunity, but that doesn’t mean he’s good. Singletary picks up some yardage, but who shouldn’t with Allen as QB? He just doesn’t offer much imo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If they would use Hines as a pass catcher out of the backfield like he was brought to Buffalo to be, then his cap hit would be justified.  I think Singletary is probably gone.  We could replace him pretty easily I believe either through FA or the Draft.  Cooks will get his shot this coming season to see what he can do.  

The question should be Motor vs Carry the load RB that doesn’t fumble a lot + Hines?

27 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

A couple years ago I was on here defending Singletary, but I’ve given up on him. I’m not sure why he’s held in high regard. He’s slow, can’t break a big run, and doesn’t concern defenses. He’s our best guy, so he’s been given the most opportunity, but that doesn’t mean he’s good. Singletary picks up some yardage, but who shouldn’t with Allen as QB? He just doesn’t offer much imo. 

He also fumbles too much!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Approach Hines about a restructure to lower the cap hit. If he refuses ✌️✌️. Another guy we could take a look at is D'Onta Foreman. An early achilles tear sort of derailed his career, but he has made a nice comeback the last two seasons at Tennessee and then Carolina. He only has a total of 450 carries in 5 years. The money for him and Singletary would probably be about the same. 

8 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Neither. 

Hines' cap hit is too much.

Singletary shouldn't be re-signed

time to overhaul RB room

This.  I like Singletary, but he’s too small and slow.  Get a hammer back there.  Damien Harris won’t be that expensive.  That’s the type of guy we need.  We need to get a more physical run game.  Hynes is good in the return game but his number is too big for just that.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.