Good listen

John from Riverside

19 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Until McD completely upgrades the OL once & for all (6 yrs), you will continue to see Josh pressured or running for his life.  You will continue to see the already mediocre run game abandoned. And of course 9 drop Gabe needs to move to WR3 permanently as we hopefully draft WR2?

Defensively without Von, the 3 boys are basically worthless. Groot doesn't get 8 sacks and AJ 6 without Von. Without a killer pass rush the Tampa 2 zone completely falls apart. 

Daft Hyatt and then Avila and Vorhees. Problem solved. Speed guy for Allen and 2 great interior linemen. 

11 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah, that's true. As a general rule. But the thing about the Bengals game is that the weather, poor footing and the defensive alignment meant the run game and high percentage underneath pass game would give the offense an advantage. 

Instead we relied in low percentage passes and refused to run... But the Bengals didn't. One of the worst running teams in the league put up 172 yards on the ground, compared to 240 yards through the air.

Josh actually threw for more yards then Burrow, but couldn't keep drives moving. 

The Bengals moved the sticks on the ground and schemed up high percentage passes all day.

And yet the Bills running game was better than the Bengals in 2022.

What separates the teams wrt personnel is talent in the WR corps.

Their passing game overwhelmed the Bills in both matchups........but in two different ways.    

The first time they tore them up over the top.........the second time they used their skill and size to get open quick and dominate in slippery conditions.

Nothing has come quick for the Bills in the passing game this year.........they had WR5-WR7 talents in the slot all season.........and Gabe Davis would be WR4 on the Bengals and is a low % target and not a RAC WR.    The Bills pass offense had been off schedule almost exclusively since the bye.   The decline in the Bills WR corps since 2020 is a huge reason why.

Getting caught up in rushing stats when the game was effectively over at 14-0........primarily because the Bills defense played a dreadful game and couldn't get off the field and allow the Bills offense to exercise patience...........is pointless commentary on the Bills offense, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

2 first round picks and 2 second round picks on the DL and we're 43rd in win rate? That's not alarming!

Explains Beane defending the D line with the injuries piled up excuse at the presser.  

Beane’s draft record is starting to go from decent to terrible really quick. 

And the excuse about not having high picks is loser talk. 

Then trade up and get who you really want - or should get.  

Or, trade up in RD 2 to get Watson or Breece Hall. 

He is really on my ***t list.

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Their passing game overwhelmed the Bills in both matchups........but in two different ways.    

The first time they tore them up over the top.........the second time they used their skill and size to get open quick and dominate in slippery conditions.

Nothing has come quick for the Bills in the passing game this year.........they had WR5-WR7 talents in the slot all season.........and Gabe Davis would be WR4 on the Bengals and is a low % target and not a RAC WR.    The Bills pass offense had been off schedule almost exclusively since the bye.   The decline in the Bills WR corps since 2020 is a huge reason why.

Getting caught up in rushing stats when the game was effectively over at 14-0........primarily because the Bills defense played a dreadful game and couldn't get off the field and allow the Bills offense to exercise patience...........is pointless commentary on the Bills offense, IMO.

I hear you about their running game, but as it happens every time I watch them I am generally impressed by Mixon and think he’s a tackle-breaking stud. Maybe I’m watching the wrong games??? Admittedly, I don’t see that many. I guess one way to look at it is that his talent demands that you have to account for him, so maybe it opens things up. YPC isn’t necessarily indicative of how good a RB is either; we all remember future HOFer Marshawn Lynch’s sub-4 ypc in his final Bills years but as it happens he also led all backs in the rate of getting hit behind the line of scrimmage while here. Anyway, I generally think you’re right, but I also believe that DCs worry more about Mixon than Singletary despite the numbers.

Edited by dave mcbride

23 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Pretty grim stat cited by Riddick: in the remaining games after Miller went down, not one Bill defensive lineman finished in the top 40 among DL in pass rush win rates.

Which is why beane should have a pink slip on his desk.

He's ***** this team with his DL drafting/failures 

On 1/27/2023 at 12:04 AM, Motorin' said:

The Bengals stay in base nickel against heavy set packages, and the Bills could have run the ball down their throat until they pulled Hendrickson and added a 3rd LB

Wasn't Gilliam inactive for the game? We had some good drives with that set this season. It's a mystery why Dorsey didn't mix it up more.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2023 at 2:24 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

Until McD completely upgrades the OL once & for all (6 yrs), you will continue to see Josh pressured or running for his life.  You will continue to see the already mediocre run game abandoned. And of course 9 drop Gabe needs to move to WR3 permanently as we hopefully draft WR2?

Defensively without Von, the 3 boys are basically worthless. Groot doesn't get 8 sacks and AJ 6 without Von. Without a killer pass rush the Tampa 2 zone completely falls apart. 

What exactly are we talking about? Dawkins, Morse, and Bates are locked-in starters. They believe in Brown. What is a complete upgrade?

12 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Explains Beane defending the D line with the injuries piled up excuse at the presser.  

Beane’s draft record is starting to go from decent to terrible really quick. 

And the excuse about not having high picks is loser talk. 

Then trade up and get who you really want - or should get.  

Or, trade up in RD 2 to get Watson or Breece Hall. 

He is really on my ***t list.

He's the slickest used car salesman I've ever seen.

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Definitely agree on the Bengals superior wr talent. And it's not so much that I'm focusing on rushing stats. It's that I'm focusing on the inflexibility of the Bills offensive scheme and their refusal to seemingly game plan for their opponents weakness. Something the Bengals can't be accused of. 

The Bengals are a nickel D that's susceptible to the run out of heavy packages. While their D has been able to shut down elite passing offenses.

So for a Bills team, that lacks in receiver talent against a defense that has routinely shut down Mahomes with their cover 2 and simulated pressure, not to take advantage of the heavy ground game was infuriating.

I'm not suggesting a complete change in offensive philosophy, rather opponent specific game planning. Here's one area that Daboll does seem much better than Dorsey.

And yeah, the game felt over at 14-0... But it wasn't. Had the Bills converted 2 additional drives for TD's at any point, we're talking a 27-24 game with the possibility of getting the ball to drive for the winning score. 

And I think their best chance of staying in that game was to lean on the heavy package run game and utilize play action. 

Instead we played into the strength of their D, exposed our weaknesses on the line and at wr. And attempted way too many low percentage throws in clutch situations. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

On 1/27/2023 at 2:04 AM, Motorin' said:

It's not that the Bills couldn't run the ball against the Bengals. It's that they  refused to run the ball against the Bengals. 

Motor has 6 carries for 25 yards, 4.2 per carry. 

The Bengals stay in base nickel against heavy set packages, and the Bills could have run the ball down their throat until they pulled Hendrickson and added a 3rd LB. Which is when Josh would have been able to throw deep.

But it's almost like they watched Burrow take 5 to 10 yards every play and said to themselves the only way they could keep up is to throw bombs.

When in fact the only way they could have kept us is by taking 4-5 yards per play and moving the sticks all day. Like they did against the Rams and the Titans, until the deep shots opened up. 

Their motto wasn't "humble and hungry" it was "stubborn and hard headed."

Best post I’ve seen all week, maybe all season. Question is, will Allen and Dorsey learn from this? I have my doubts. Arm and coaching arrogance are a real problem here…

25 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Definitely agree on the Bengals superior wr talent. And it's not so much that I'm focusing on rushing stats. It's that I'm focusing on the inflexibility of the Bills offensive scheme and their refusal to seemingly game plan for their opponents weakness. Something the Bengals can't be accused of. 

The Bengals are a nickel D that's susceptible to the run out of heavy packages. While their D has been able to shut down elite passing offenses.

So for a Bills team, that lacks in receiver talent against a defense that has routinely shut down Mahomes with their cover 2 and simulated pressure, not to take advantage of the heavy ground game was infuriating.

I'm not suggesting a complete change in offensive philosophy, rather opponent specific game planning. Here's one area that Daboll does seem much better than Dorsey.

And yeah, the game felt over at 14-0... But it wasn't. Had the Bills converted 2 additional drives for TD's at any point, we're talking a 27-24 game with the possibility of getting the ball to drive for the winning score. 

And I think their best chance of staying in that game was to lean on the heavy package run game and utilize play action. 

Instead we played into the strength of their D, exposed our weaknesses on the line and at wr. And attempted way too many low percentage throws in clutch situations. 

Totally. And fully agree about Daboll, who comes out of the Belichick/McDaniels style where the approach can change from week to week depending on the opponent. In their heyday with Brady, they’d pass it 45 times one week (mostly short passes too) and run it 40 times the next week.

59 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

You must have been at a different game than I was..........the Bills defense forced 1 punt in the first 7 Bengals drives.

The only reasons the score wasn't worse was a reversed TD(turned FG) and time running out on another hot-knife-thru-butter last second Bengals drive in the first half.

The Bills defense was thoroughly dominated.

Once the Bills got down two TD's there was no chance for the offense to patiently dig out of it.    It didn't just "seem" that way. 

The Bills tried to grind their way back into it.......their 2 long scoring drives consumed a full quarter of the entire game.

They were immediately answered with 2 long scoring drives by the Bengals that ate up 26 plays and 12 minutes of TOP.  

I know people want to re-imagine how it went..........because it was a terrible performance.........but once they got down 2 TD's they could not get the stops necessary to put up the 3 more scores than Cinci to win the game.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/27/2023 at 2:24 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

Until McD completely upgrades the OL once & for all (6 yrs), you will continue to see Josh pressured or running for his life. 

Surprised Pegula doesn't step in and tell Beane/McDermott/Dorsey that he will not have his QB shortening his career to cover for offensive inadequacies.

On 1/27/2023 at 2:04 AM, Motorin' said:

It's not that the Bills couldn't run the ball against the Bengals. It's that they  refused to run the ball against the Bengals. 

Motor has 6 carries for 25 yards, 4.2 per carry. 

The Bengals stay in base nickel against heavy set packages, and the Bills could have run the ball down their throat until they pulled Hendrickson and added a 3rd LB. Which is when Josh would have been able to throw deep.

But it's almost like they watched Burrow take 5 to 10 yards every play and said to themselves the only way they could keep up is to throw bombs.

When in fact the only way they could have kept us is by taking 4-5 yards per play and moving the sticks all day. Like they did against the Rams and the Titans, until the deep shots opened up. 

Their motto wasn't "humble and hungry" it was "stubborn and hard headed."

Yea they were effective all year just never consistent besides the Bears game. 

It was baffling at times

15 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah, that's true. As a general rule. But the thing about the Bengals game is that the weather, poor footing and the defensive alignment meant the run game and high percentage underneath pass game would give the offense an advantage. 

Instead we relied in low percentage passes and refused to run... But the Bengals didn't. One of the worst running teams in the league put up 172 yards on the ground, compared to 240 yards through the air.

Josh actually threw for more yards then Burrow, but couldn't keep drives moving. 

The Bengals moved the sticks on the ground and schemed up high percentage passes all day.

And this is why they must move on from Frazier!

I agree on the run game part of the interview. The crazy part is we CAN run the football but first Dumb ball and now Dorsey are bound and determined to pass on every play.  You have to be able to run the football in the playoffs to win. I know it's a passing league blah blah blah, but if look at the teams left, they can all run the football and they have stout defenses.

Our offense appears to be built for a dome.  But we don't have a dome and we ain't getting one either.  Next year we need to make sure we have an offense that can do something else than throw bombs when the weather is not conducive to that.

We've played 2 foul weather playoff games at The Ralph in the McDermott era and our offense has scored a grand total of 13 points.  (Sunday and Baltimore)

I'd love to see us sign Josh Jacobs and get the football in his hands 20+ times per game.  Don't tell me we can't, salary cap blah blah. That's what everyone told me last year when I wanted to sign Von Miller.

Edited by reddogblitz

First half of the year Diggs was on a record pace.

Second half he had far fewer targets and our offense declined.

Josh’s passer rating was over 120 when throwing to Stef.

Don’t understand why we didn’t feed him. Saw him open plenty of times where he didn’t get the ball. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.