Urlacher Connection to Edmunds

Old Coot

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Everytime he blitzes,  which is rare, I feel Edmunds gets home or impacts the QB in a positive way for the D.

Would love to see him be used in a more versatile role 

You're probably right as I'm sure I missed a few when they crowd the line on 3rd down typically.  

I still think he should be the 1st priority in terms of our own FAs. Beane loves to draft and develop and re sign.

He and Milano were a great combo and looked alot better with the healthy DL. No  Jones/Miller really showed our DL deficiencies 

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Urlacher was a safety in college......hadn't played LB entering the NFL.......and then had 8 sacks and 16 TFL as a rookie MLB.

In 5 seasons Edmunds has a TOTAL of 6.5 sacks and 32 TFL.

There were very high expectations for Edmunds coming into the NFL and Urlacher was one of his comps.........but he's just not been a playmaker.

No he's not a playmaker.  He accumulates lots of tackles and has the wingspan of Rodan.  But does he ever make impact plays. Very rarely.  Milano seems to make them every other week.  Tremaine is going to want 18-20 and there's no way Beane's paying that.  I think Poyer & Tremaine are both gone. And Oliver might be gone next year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Urlacher was a safety in college......hadn't played LB entering the NFL.......and then had 8 sacks and 16 TFL as a rookie MLB.

There were very high expectations for Edmunds coming into the NFL and Urlacher was one of his comps.........but he's just not been a playmaker.

also could be that Frazier has not put him in a position to be effective.  He seems more of an OLB to me, and gets washed out by blockers rather easily.  

could Edmunds be moved to DE? 

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

also could be that Frazier has not put him in a position to be effective.  He seems more of an OLB to me, and gets washed out by blockers rather easily.  

He's not even under contract, zero point zero chance of a position change.

He will also definitely suck as a DE.

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Awesome!!! Hopefully some analytics wiz kid on BB’s staff sees this, before they decide to pay Edmunds $16-20 mil per year.  

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

2FF too in his career.  Urlacher had 2 at 34 years old in his last season.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

2FF too in his career.  Urlacher had 2 at 34 years old in his last season.

Just 2 forced fumbles.........and they were both early in his rookie season.

Probably the craziest statistical anomaly wrt Edmunds is that he has played 69 consecutive regular season games without forcing a fumble.

That has to be a record amount of snaps played by an NFL MLB without causing a fumble.  

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

It may be that he was never going to be a better player outside and on the edge...........where he could think less and react more...........but he has fallen FAR short of his measurables/potential at MLB.    

39 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Just 2 forced fumbles.........and they were both early in his rookie season.

Probably the craziest statistical anomaly wrt Edmunds is that he has played 69 consecutive regular season games without forcing a fumble.

That has to be a record amount of snaps played by an NFL MLB without causing a fumble.  

How do you contact players 100+ times a year and never rip the ball out lol. It’s almost unbelievable.

• Agree 3

43 minutes ago, FireChans said:

How do you contact players 100+ times a year and never rip the ball out lol. It’s almost unbelievable.

So if you go back a page or two in this thread, there is a video I posted where Jake Butt analyzes Jack Campbell. A part of the video Campbell knocks the ball out, anticipates a throw, and catches a tipped pass. What Butt says is that the game has truly slowed down for Campbell so he makes these plays off anticipation and instincts. That made a ton of sense to me. 

As I am watching it I started to think about Tremaine. The game has not slowed down for him. He always plays with his hair on fire. He doesn’t anticipate or make instinctual plays and that is why he doesn’t cause any turnovers. He gets manipulated in coverage and doesn’t anticipate where the ball is going. That is always going to hold him back. Despite being an incredible athlete, he is almost always a half a step behind. The people who cause turnovers are always a half a step ahead. 

Solid player, but the game is moving too fast for him at this point. 

27 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So if you go back a page or two in this thread, there is a video I posted where Jake Butt analyzes Jack Campbell. A part of the video Campbell knocks the ball out, anticipates a throw, and catches a tipped pass. What Butt says is that the game has truly slowed down for Campbell so he makes these plays off anticipation and instincts. That made a ton of sense to me. 

As I am watching it I started to think about Tremaine. The game has not slowed down for him. He always plays with his hair on fire. He doesn’t anticipate or make instinctual plays and that is why he doesn’t cause any turnovers. He gets manipulated in coverage and doesn’t anticipate where the ball is going. That is always going to hold him back. Despite being an incredible athlete, he is almost always a half a step behind. The people who cause turnovers are always a half a step ahead. 

Solid player, but the game is moving too fast for him at this point. 

Coincidentally or not his brother is the exact same type of player, with the same issues, for Pittsburgh.

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Coincidentally or not his brother is the exact same type of player, with the same issues, for Pittsburgh.

And honestly, I am not sure what they are going to do. It will interesting to see. He’s a perfectly good player and better than a lot in the league. His presence or lack thereof will not be the determining factor whether or not we win a super bowl, that all falls on Josh and the offense at the end of the day. It comes down to dollars and cents. Sure you can pay him like a top 5 backer, but its an overpay. He’s more like a top 15-20 guy. 

I’ve been a defender of his and felt like he would get better, but after 5 seasons, he is what he is, a solid top 15 inside backer….Paul Pozluzny. You could probably get the same production in this defense from other UFAs like TJ Edwards or Drue Tranquill. They don’t look as impressive, but get the job done and are probably much cheaper. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Everytime he blitzes,  which is rare, I feel Edmunds gets home or impacts the QB in a positive way for the D.

Would love to see him be used in a more versatile role 

When he blitzes , Edmunds usually looks stiff to me; not really “ bendy”

enough to excel in that role. 

Yeah….that is the only common ground 😂

Edmunds isn’t the nasty we need.

I don’t foresee it changing either…look at the teams remaining and edmunds doesn’t sniff the talent those linebackers are

heck doesn’t even come close to the linebacker his partner in Milano is.

im tired of mediocre and he’s borderline mediocre 

On 1/27/2023 at 3:30 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

No he's not a playmaker.  He accumulates lots of tackles and has the wingspan of Rodan.  But does he ever make impact plays. Very rarely.  Milano seems to make them every other week.  Tremaine is going to want 18-20 and there's no way Beane's paying that.  I think Poyer & Tremaine are both gone. And Oliver might be gone next year.

That's bc Edmunds is asked to be something he isnt...Edmunds isn't a shallower 3rd safety he is a lber...our scheme fails to play to our players strengths..Hughes left and had a stellar year on a bad Houston team

5 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

Yeah….that is the only common ground 😂

Edmunds isn’t the nasty we need.

I don’t foresee it changing either…look at the teams remaining and edmunds doesn’t sniff the talent those linebackers are

heck doesn’t even come close to the linebacker his partner in Milano is.

im tired of mediocre and he’s borderline mediocre 

our defense isn't nasty...our identity is to sit back and react instead of attack and react 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.