Urlacher Connection to Edmunds

Old Coot

10 hours ago, StHustle said:

Does he even want to resign? How do we know he likes the role he has in Buffalo? I think if he tests free agency and is told he would be used different to allow him to make more plays he may wanna bolt. That’s when the franchise tag may have to come in.

Ignore the interview where he went on and on about how he very much wants to play the rest of his career here.  It’s easier to be negative that way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Ignore the interview where he went on and on about how he very much wants to play the rest of his career here.  It’s easier to be negative that way.

Plenty players make such claims. I’ll believe after he tests free agency and willingly comes back for less.

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Everytime he blitzes,  which is rare, I feel Edmunds gets home or impacts the QB in a positive way for the D.

Would love to see him be used in a more versatile role 

As @BarleyNY said.........he's almost totally ineffective as a blitzer.

In 2020 he had 72 blitz attempts and ZERO pressures.

He didn't generate a single pressure on any of his 18 blitz attempts this season either.

With his length and speed  you would think he would be great at it........instead he's been as ineffective as it gets.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

And, at least in my opinion, this isn't a big insult on Edmunds. He is a top 10 LB in the NFL playing a specific position we, the collective whole, do not fully grasp. 

Hes not urlacher, definitely. But he's not Preston Brown or kavika Mitchell either. 

Interestingly,  the far less talented but far more instinctive Preston Brown lead the NFL in tackles in McDermott's defense in 2017.

We aren't talking about Edmunds as the indispensable equivalent of Jim Leonhard in Rex's defense here...........he's not the cerebral tie without which success hasn't been possible.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Edmunds is only an effective blitzer when he has an unimpeded path to the QB. And when I say unimpeded, I mean literally no one in his face, no one to go around, no one to get past. I’ve seen him stopped quite easily by RBs in the hole. He plays much smaller than his size. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He exists and his name is Jack Campbell. Love that guy. He has Tremaine's size and his instincts are off the charts, but it's unlikely he will test like Tremaine. 

I am excited to see what he does at the combine. Campbell might be one of my favorite linebackers I have seen in awhile.

6-5, 246. The Bills likely won't draft him because he doesn't have that sideline to sideline range, but he makes up for that with tremendous instincts.  He's awesome. To me he is a bigger Logan Wilson with better instincts. 

Yeah, he's that guy that has the instincts Edmunds does not have.   His feel for where receivers are in coverage really stood out to me when I watched him.   That allows him to make plays on the ball in the air.   And yeah he isn't the sideline to sideline type like Edmunds but the better instincts in the run game might allow the Bills to have wider splits on the DL and funnel the run toward the middle..........something they've always been hesitant to do with Edmunds.        

• Thank you (+1) 1

Urlacher dropped ball carriers, he hit hard every time. Edmunds is more likely to pull a RB down on top of himself for extra yards, or jump on their back as they try to run past him. It's very rare that Edmunds stops a guy in his tracks. This is part of the reason we're often facing 3rd & 2 instead of 3rd & 6.

The pass break-up he had in the Miami playoff game was the first time in 5 years that I can remember him really blasting somebody.

• Agree 3

I love this thread because it allows Me to tell my one Urlacher story.

I was on a flight from Philly to Chicago, and slept the whole time. Woke up and realized that the guy sitting next to me/across the aisle was Urlacher. 

I only figured it out when the young female flight attendant started hitting on him and gave him her phone number. It was a really awkward and embarrassing interaction for him too.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Everytime he blitzes,  which is rare, I feel Edmunds gets home or impacts the QB in a positive way for the D.

most times i see him blitz he gets stood up by the 160 lb running back

22 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Edmunds is only an effective blitzer when he has an unimpeded path to the QB. And when I say unimpeded, I mean literally no one in his face, no one to go around, no one to get past. I’ve seen him stopped quite easily by RBs in the hole. He plays much smaller than his size. 

just posted the same thing!

36 minutes ago, 947 said:

The pass break-up he had in the Miami playoff game was the first time in 5 years that I can remember him really blasting somebody.

I said the same thing in the game thread when it happened. First time in 5 years I said “wow” because of an Edmunds hit. I of course had disagree and thumbs down emojis for speaking a truth that was somewhat negative 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Interestingly,  the far less talented but far more instinctive Preston Brown lead the NFL in tackles in McDermott's defense in 2017.

We aren't talking about Edmunds as the indispensable equivalent of Jim Leonhard in Rex's defense here...........he's not the cerebral tie without which success hasn't been possible.  

like 10000 times

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

We don’t have enough talented and young players on defense to lose Edmunds. If we let him leave without even franchising him, what is our plan., bringing in 2  veterans to convert to 4/3. Doesn’t sound worse it.

Edmunds reminds me a lot of Leodis McKelvin.  Freak athlete with all the intangibles except instincts.  Something is missing between his ears which is preventing him from becoming an elite MLB.  

50 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Edmunds reminds me a lot of Leodis McKelvin.  Freak athlete with all the intangibles except instincts.  Something is missing between his ears which is preventing him from becoming an elite MLB.  

You’re letting your assessment of him in his first few years influence your distorted view of his performance this year. The guy was vastly improved and plays every down, every week ,thru injury, calls defensive signals and made many critical plays in both running and passing game. His speed and length make him elite and he’s 24 years old. The idea is to draft and keep top talent. The Bills will keep him one way or the other.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Omg.  What games have you been watching? Edmunds can't blitz at all. He just runs into the guard. He has no moves at all. And I'm a guy that wanted to move him to DE a few years ago. Thought he would be a beast coming off the edge. But no he is awful at rushing the passer. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Success said:

I do hope we keep Edmunds, without overpaying. Probably too much to wish for - but he has been really good for us and one of our playmakers on D.

I do not see them letting him go.  He'd be too hard to replace.  With his age, they can give him a long contract and spread out the cap hit.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Urlacher was a safety in college......hadn't played LB entering the NFL.......and then had 8 sacks and 16 TFL as a rookie MLB.

In 5 seasons Edmunds has a TOTAL of 6.5 sacks and 32 TFL.

There were very high expectations for Edmunds coming into the NFL and Urlacher was one of his comps.........but he's just not been a playmaker.

He hasn't gotten a lot of sacks. A lot of that is that he isn't rushed much.

He hasn't gotten a lot of TFLs. A lot of that is that Milano is the guy who shoots gaps and Edmunds the guy who goes side to side and fills holes. It's not a mistake Milano line up a step or so forward of Edmunds.

People want him to play a role that he isn't playing for this defense.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's correct, not indispensable. Probably not a guy without whom success hasn't been possible, but we can't say because he's tough as nails and has played nearly every game and the Bills D has been very successful and the few games he's missed they've been considerably less so. But again, you can't say for sure because he's missed so few games the numbers are pretty close to statistically insignificant. But when out, they've played much worse.

He's only a very good linebacker who plays his role well, who they want back, who they've made a captain year after year, and who is far better than most here appreciate, particularly against the pass. 

And Tremaine is a ton better than Preston Brown ever was against the pass. Teams didn't avoid throwing to the middle against Preston Brown.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

Plenty players make such claims. I’ll believe after he tests free agency and willingly comes back for less.

Yeah, plenty of players make those claims. That's because plenty of players have those feelings.

There really is not much doubt he's one of them.

You asked "Does he even want to resign?" I guess you meant "re-sign," and we know he does want to. The question will be how much less than market value will he take? Tremaine is young but these guys don't generally get a lot of contracts. The second one is important. It'll be interesting to watch.

My guess is he's back with a lucrative but not market-topping contract. We'll see.

14 hours ago, StHustle said:

Does he even want to resign? How do we know he likes the role he has in Buffalo? I think if he tests free agency and is told he would be used different to allow him to make more plays he may wanna bolt. That’s when the franchise tag may have to come in.

I think any team that signs Tremaine for a different role than the one hes in will be cutting him a year or two later with a ton of dead cap space and he will be back in red, white, and blue at a much discounted rate.  Basically like every single big time FA who leaves new england.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.