Urlacher Connection to Edmunds

Old Coot

Both Brian Urlacher, the Bears HOF middle linebacker and Tremaine Edmunds were coached by Bob Babich who retired last year as the Bills' LB coach.

Edmunds plays the same role as Urlacher did in the Cover 2 defense. They both can cover the hole in the middle between the two deep safeties.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Urlacher was a safety in college......hadn't played LB entering the NFL.......and then had 8 sacks and 16 TFL as a rookie MLB.

In 5 seasons Edmunds has a TOTAL of 6.5 sacks and 32 TFL.

There were very high expectations for Edmunds coming into the NFL and Urlacher was one of his comps.........but he's just not been a playmaker.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 13
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

Does he even want to resign? How do we know he likes the role he has in Buffalo? I think if he tests free agency and is told he would be used different to allow him to make more plays he may wanna bolt. That’s when the franchise tag may have to come in.

We’re not using the franchise tag too expensive

If it comes to that, I think he walks

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

urlacher put a team on his back to get into the superbowl.

edmunds is a spectator.

He’s better than that but he hast to have good line play in front of him an order for him to look good

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Urlacher was a safety in college......hadn't played LB entering the NFL.......and then had 8 sacks and 16 TFL as a rookie MLB.

There were very high expectations for Edmunds coming into the NFL and Urlacher was one of his comps.........but he's just not been a playmaker.

Everytime he blitzes,  which is rare, I feel Edmunds gets home or impacts the QB in a positive way for the D.

Would love to see him be used in a more versatile role 

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

urlacher put a team on his back to get into the superbowl.

edmunds is a spectator.

McD and Frazier run a different defense which is far more passive than any of us seem to care for these days. The comparison isn't quite apples to apples. We need Edmunds.

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Everytime he blitzes,  which is rare, I feel Edmunds gets home or impacts the QB in a positive way for the D.

You’ve got to be kidding me. Edmunds is one of the worst blitzing LBs I’ve ever seen. He has been used as a blitzer often since Miller’s injury. What was rare was any positive impact from it. He seems to just find an offensive lineman every time. That’s why you didn’t notice it happening. The only reason I can think that they didn’t blitz Milano instead is because he much better in man coverage too.

Signing Edmunds to the size of contract he’s likely to get in FA would be a huge mistake. That money could be far better used on a playmaking WR or the OL. Spotrac estimates his value at $11M/yr. I’d be okay with that, but my bet is a team pays him $15M/yr. No thank you. 

Edit: Spotrac link to Edmunds MV calc

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

He gets blown up by running backs often.  Milano brings the heat when he blitz’s.  Tremaine plays patty cakes.  If we could put Milano instincts and play style in Tremaines body you’d have the perfect linebacker 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Both Brian Urlacher, the Bears HOF middle linebacker and Tremaine Edmunds were coached by Bob Babich who retired last year as the Bills' LB coach.

Edmunds plays the same role as Urlacher did in the Cover 2 defense. They both can cover the hole in the middle between the two deep safeties.

Superbowl?

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The thing is - at this point I’d take the occasional late coverage read or getting blown off his cleats at the point of attack if he made up for it with the occasional splash play like a sack, INT or fumble recovery.  Just deploy the guy like a weapon more and let his length and athleticism create havoc, would make up a bit for his lack of instincts.  This year was probably his “ceiling” as a pure off-ball backer, we’ve now seen it, it’s fine but his athleticism is being wasted with the lack of aggressiveness and creativity in his usage.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mynamemike said:

If we could put Milano instincts and play style in Tremaines body you’d have the perfect linebacker 

He exists and his name is Jack Campbell. Love that guy. He has Tremaine's size and his instincts are off the charts, but it's unlikely he will test like Tremaine. 

I am excited to see what he does at the combine. Campbell might be one of my favorite linebackers I have seen in awhile.

6-5, 246. The Bills likely won't draft him because he doesn't have that sideline to sideline range, but he makes up for that with tremendous instincts.  He's awesome. To me he is a bigger Logan Wilson with better instincts. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And, at least in my opinion, this isn't a big insult on Edmunds. He is a top 10 LB in the NFL playing a specific position we, the collective whole, do not fully grasp. 

Hes not urlacher, definitely. But he's not Preston Brown or kavika Mitchell either. 

he's a good player, at times a really good player.  

my take is we already paid a more impacting LB, and we paid and perhaps over paid for some secondary in a d that protects the secondary.  with pass rush our D is very effective, without it good qbs eat us alive, and we are just not great vs power running in general.

based on this we need to put the money elsewhere (imagine a good LT, move dawkins to LG, what an upgrade!), and for that reason I'M OUT. 

9 hours ago, StHustle said:

Does he even want to resign? How do we know he likes the role he has in Buffalo? I think if he tests free agency and is told he would be used different to allow him to make more plays he may wanna bolt. That’s when the franchise tag may have to come in.

The Franchise Tag isn't a realistic option. We're already over the projected cap and that would be $20M by itself alone. It's just not feasible for success. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.