Final Pro Football Focus Oline Season Grades

78thealltimegreat

5 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Honestly, if we walk away from this draft with less than 2 WR and 3 O-linemen, I will be very disappointed. 

And Hodgins looked great playing for the Giants. Honestly makes me wonder. 

I’ll give him a pass on Hodgins. No one saw it coming. He would’ve been perfect as a big slot for us next year.

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The biggest liability on this team two years straight - offensive line play.

Dawkins, Morse, and Bates are at least starter quality. Fill in 1st/2nd round talents around them and we should have a solid OL. Got to draft the right players.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Dawkins, Morse, and Bates are at least starter quality. Fill in 1st/2nd round talents around them and we should have a solid OL. Got to draft the right players.

I agree but none of them are top quality. Even Dion struggled down the stretch this year. I think my preference is find a way to bring in one good vet (not a washed up has been) and draft 1. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree but none of them are top quality. Even Dion struggled down the stretch this year. I think my preference is find a way to bring in one good vet (not a washed up has been) and draft 1. 

That’s the NFL. Dawkins is good. Got beat some yes but that is a product of an OL struggling.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Or they need to find a way to get him inside to guard where that matters less.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

An option as far as I am concerned, if they can find a left tackle at the end of the first round

Everything should be on the table

Finding a LT at the end of the first is likely very difficult.

We also rarely see a starting LT slide past RT and straight to G . That would insinuate we have a stellar RT which we clearly do not.  

Do we need an upgrade? Yes we do but Dawkins will be our starting LT next year barring unforeseen circumstances it’s that simple. 

Edited by DJB

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

D. Dawkins: 73.5

R. Saffold: 43.7

M. Morse: 61.4

R. Bates: 61.8

S. Brown: 51.4

Pass blocking grades were somewhat better aside from Bates.  Saffold and Brown need to be replaced.  Move Bates back to LG.

Dawkins - 80.4

Saffold - 50.2

Morse - 70.1

Bates - 61.5

Brown - 53.4

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DJB said:

We also rarely see a starting LT slide past RT and straight to G . That would insinuate we have a stellar RT which we clearly do not.  

Do we need an upgrade? Yes we do but Dawkins will be our starting LT next year barring unforeseen circumstances it’s that simple. 

I don't think you can draft one at end of the 1st. Agreed. That is why I am open to trading. And actually older left tackles sliding into guard rather than going to RT isn't all that rare. Brandon Albert and Jason Peters being the two that spring straight to mind. It is generally what you do with guys who are struggling a little bit keeping themselves at their "tackle" weight and Dion fits into that.

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

..Trent Williams has the highest at 93.7

I remember wanting to sign Trent Williams years ago, but was told he was just too old. That had to be 4 years ago or more.

Interesting note, Jason Peters started for the Cowboys this season at 41.  

1 hour ago, DJB said:

We found Dockins in the second

8 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

For reference a solid NFL starter has a 70 grade…a pro bowl player has an 80ish grade…an all pro has a high 80s to low 90s grade..Trent Williams has the highest at 93.7

Josh Allen had over 5000 yards of offense and 42 touchdowns and had a PFF grade of 91.6 the highest of any QB with this line which graded out 26th blocking for him.  

I would love see the stats for the time they gave Allen to throw. Was it average of 4 seconds or 2 seconds etc. A lot of OLine look bad because some (not saying Allen) QBs take forever to throw the ball, while others look good, like TB, because the QB throws it in 2 seconds or less. 

8 hours ago, Airseven said:

Stick with how bad the OL was - how Beane got duped by Saffold and how he paid/promoted Bates perhaps prematurely. This doesn’t need to always wind up a backhanded compliment (excuse?) for Allen.

I'm a big fan of Beane, but his record on the O-line is abysmal. Moving up to draft Ford, trading away Teller, signing Saffold, assuming Brown could start at RT, ignoring Humphrey to draft Basham... I mean, that's just awful. 

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Honestly, if we walk away from this draft with less than 2 WR and 3 O-linemen, I will be very disappointed. 

And Hodgins looked great playing for the Giants. Honestly makes me wonder. 

Time for this team to value production on downs 1-3, instead of taking up valuable roster spots for special teams guys. Matkevich, Jones, Kumerow. And Jones even made a bone head play down the stretch. 

• Agree 1

Even though I can't stand PFF, this is what we all knew watching every single game this season. Josh was constantly under duress all game, every game. There is NO OTHER elite QB in the NFL who was asked to do more with less. Dawkins was again our best player and Morse/Bates were both meh. Brown should be a depth player and Saffold was completely useless. I've seen better OL's at Alabama, Georgia, and Notre Dame than we put on the field this season to protect our Franchise QB. It was atrocious. Then, all of the idiots in the so called "sports media" world want to heap everything on Josh. Freakin jack*sses. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

For reference a solid NFL starter has a 70 grade…a pro bowl player has an 80ish grade…an all pro has a high 80s to low 90s grade..Trent Williams has the highest at 93.7

Josh Allen had over 5000 yards of offense and 42 touchdowns and had a PFF grade of 91.6 the highest of any QB with this line which graded out 26th blocking for him.  

is Saffold’s grade really low because he was emotionally exhausted this year ?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.