Buscaglia: Both Bills Coordinators are likely to be back in 2023

JohnNord

17 hours ago, JohnNord said:

https://theathletic.com/4128667/2023/01/26/buffalo-bills-offseason-coaches/?source=user_shared_article

I know a lot here don’t have a subscription to the Athletic so here’s how Joe Buscaglia analyzed the coaches.

While fans have wanted some changes after the bitter playoff exit, positional coaches aren’t likely what many had in mind. However, as of now, it appears both of the primary coordinators are poised to return in 2023.

Ken Dorsey:

The Bills offense has looked disjointed this season despite scoring points.  Dorsey will likely be back as he has support from Josh and Beane.  Also Beane talked about “year two” in his press conference which he otherwise would not do if there were plans to move on.  Looks like Dorsey is safe but if he’s back in 23, there is a ton of pressure to produce.    

Leslie Frazier:

Mentions there is heat on Frazier after the playoff loss, but that he was missing a key starter in Jones.  With injuries to Hyde, Miller and White, the Bills defense still finished 4th in DVOA.  

He also puts players in positions to be successful.  Unless he wants to retire, Frazier will be back for a 7th season.  

Joe Brady:

The Bills really like Brady but he’s been getting some OC calls which he may pursue.  If Brady comes back, he’s a prime candidate to take over for Dorsey.  

Aaron Kromer:

The Bills OL had a terrible year and it wouldn’t surprise Joe to see the Bills move on from Kromer. 

Bobby Babitch:

A future star in the building with DC potential.  If Frazier leaves he can see him taking over.  

Joe didn’t touch on any other coaches…

Cronyism at its finest…the Achilles heal of the Buffalo Bills and will lead to eventual firing of McDermott.  

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

Scary thought, but maybe Kromer is the main reason this line worked at all this season with the talent, or lack thereof that's there.  Kromer may have been making lemonade out of lemons all season and he's getting blamed now for the line looking bad, when he had them playing over their heads much of the season.

They sucked all year, and were easily worse than 2021, so I think you can put that thought to bed.  They were horrible and had career worst seasons - no lemonade to be found.   Not exactly sure who is to blame, but I think Dorsey probably put them in worse positions than Dabs did.  I have to believe a ton of it falls on the offensive scheme.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Then next year will be McDermotts last if that’s the case.

I’d almost bet on it! Especially if the Bills can’t get out of the division round of the playoffs.

I have no expectations cause I honestly believe our coordinators are not Super Bowl Caliber.

Your lips to God's ears. I'm fresh out of patience 

I've made peace w/ this. 

The Bills WERE a dominant team for stretches this season.  We had just a few too many injuries, and then all of the crazy stuff w/ 3 games in 10 days/moving one game to Detroit, and what happened w/ Hamlin.

It's not like running it all back dooms us.  We'll still be a top team.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Success said:

I've made peace w/ this. 

The Bills WERE a dominant team for stretches this season.  We had just a few too many injuries, and then all of the crazy stuff w/ 3 games in 10 days/moving one game to Detroit, and what happened w/ Hamlin.

It's not like running it all back dooms us.  We'll still be a top team.

With a divisional ceiling.

Running it back is a surrender worthy of France 

There is a zero percent chance McBeane get fired even if we fall off the cliff next year.

I think people underestimate the political capital they’ve built up since joining the Bills.

The smart political move (which I don’t agree with) is to roll back with both coordinators so they can be sacrificed if we underachieve next season.

No way Pegula cleans house after next season after the sht show he inherited and the turn around that has taken place.

If that happens I think the heat will be on from the fan base but the owners? No way.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Bandito said:

That it wasn't solely the D's fault we lost. We couldn't do anything offensively. Stop living in the past and get with reality of today!

Never said it was "solely" on the D. But 13 seconds was 100% on Frazier. This game I would still say the majority of the blame still goes to him. Dorsey has a big share too. But taken together (last and this year) Frazier just doesnt have it when he needs to. Dorsey didnt seem to either last Sunday but I would say the jury is still out on him at best.

2 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

There is a zero percent chance McBeane get fired even if we fall off the cliff next year.

I think people underestimate the political capital they’ve built up since joining the Bills.

The smart political move (which I don’t agree with) is to roll back with both coordinators so they can be sacrificed if we underachieve next season.

No way Pegula cleans house after next season after the sht show he inherited and the turn around that has taken place.

If that happens I think the heat will be on from the fan base but the owners? No way.

This is so true.  It’s funny to see fans demand McDermott to get fired or say next season is “Super Bowl or pink slip.”  Do they understand who owns this football team?  

Between the Bills and Sabres Terry Pegula has had a hellish experience with head coaches and General Managers.  Coaches either embarrassed with their antics or with their teams poor performance.   The way that a coach/GM operates is very important as well.  This is why Adams/Granato we’re re-signed this past offseason despite failing to reach .500.  He liked the way they ran the org.   

Thats is why I believe Pegula will be reluctant to fire Beane and McDermott unless the season really goes sideways. 

McDermott is pretty much the second most powerful man in the organization with Beane as a distant third.  While they haven’t won championships, the W-L record is one of the best over the past three seasons.  

Not only that but Terry admires and respects their character and how classy and organized both leaders are.   He’s not going to fire either unless it gets to a situation where the team just consistently isn’t winning.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I do think we will NOT change any coordinators, and that is a mistake.

It will be magnified next year.

I feel as if 2023 will be a wasted season and most everyone will see it coming... a transition year for our roster and the status quo is unacceptable. One safety coach getting the ax and that's IT? Laughable. Some of you may think that McDermott is safe, but you're wrong. The flak from the Mafia and national pundits will be overwhelming. McDermott gets fired at the end of the season, no doubt, a stone cold lock, DOOM, DOOM.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

11 hours ago, schoolhouserock said:

Lots of speculation in this thread about some sort of a “blame game” going on behind the scenes between the various coaches.

The truth is that we don’t really know the interpersonal dynamics among the various coaches.

We could speculate about other ways this shook out…

For example, maybe Jim Salgado wanted to do something other than coach safeties?

Or perhaps the Bills determined that a major shift in approach to their defensive backfield was warranted and they felt coach Salgado wasn’t the right person to aid that transition?

Everything doesn’t always have to be the worst case scenario!

Lots of blame to dispense because of the last 2 playoff years.

And we can certainly speculate the worst case scenario playing out at OBD.

guns.thumb.jpg.a918367faa13a952d78689c0194785de.jpg

14 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Never said it was "solely" on the D. But 13 seconds was 100% on Frazier. This game I would still say the majority of the blame still goes to him. Dorsey has a big share too. But taken together (last and this year) Frazier just doesnt have it when he needs to. Dorsey didnt seem to either last Sunday but I would say the jury is still out on him at best.

I would think the majority of the blame is and should be on the offense. Dorsey still had his full allotment of players in this game, the defense was a shell of the team fielded in September.

Frazier had to manage a defense that was either down almost all of it’s star players or they were playing nowhere near 100%. No All-Pro Maicah Hyde at FS, nor his replacement Hamlin. Our x7 time All-Pro, future Hall of Famer pass rusher Von Miller was out. Our 1st team All-Pro SS Poyer was playing with 1 arm and 1 leg. Our best CB Tre, a x2 All-Pro player, playing on 1 leg. Add to that our best guy in the middle of the d-line Jones out and another DL playing was with 1 arm. 

He gets and deserves the blame for 13 seconds, for killing the best chance we've had at a Super Bowl win since Super Bowl 25. For squandering the best offensive performance through 2 games of a postseason ever. An offense that scored tds on 12 of their 16 possessions in last year's postseason, an unheard of 75% td rate through  2 games.

For that he & McDermott are blamed and deservedly so. This year in the Divisional round they were badly injured and the offense needed to step up, but fell flat on it’s face. 10 measly points was all they could muster, while the defense gave up 1 point more than the Bengals averaged in the regular season. Frazier deserves blame for some past performances in the playoffs, but not one where he was down all his top talent except Milano and still held their opponent to their season average, while the offense only scored 36% of its season average.

• Disagree 1

What was frustrating about the offense is that it went from quick release passing attack that looked unstoppable in the beginning of the season to one that turned into Josh running around all over the place until he could find something open with little rhythm.  I’m not sure what changed the approach and how much of it was Josh and how much was Dorsey, but if the offense had that rhythm it had to open the season I don’t think we are all down on the direction of the team. Ultimately it is on Dorsey and McDermott to make sure they adapted to the circumstances or stayed with the more effective approach. Hell at times it looked like the team could impose its will in the run game against good defenses, but ultimately they had no answers when it mattered most. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.