Buscaglia: Both Bills Coordinators are likely to be back in 2023

JohnNord

47 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Content with good.  About sums up things. Considering how bad this organization was the previous 20 years, it’s understandable.  Maybe we’ll get lucky and the Chiefs, Bengals, 49ers, and Eagles get knocked off or have injury problems next year, but we ain’t beating any of those teams in the playoffs next year if we’re running it back.  They have better rosters and better coaching.  

I agree 100%. Almost feels like the organization has thrown in the towel sort of speak. Very unlikely this team sniffs the Super Bowl. Do you really think the team won't have significant injuries next year? That's just not realistic. I'm saddened and frustrated that this Bills organization thinks this group of coaches with its players can compete for a Super Bowl. I'm not buying it one bit but I know so many on here will. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If Frazier is back, neither he nor McD will do a single damn thing differently. They'll talk about how they were missing key players, and how that affected what the D could do, and it'll be better this year, blah blah blah. Then we'll start getting the brakes beat off of us more frequently with the book now out on how to not just beat, but embarrass us. Not to mention the murderers row of a schedule we have.

Our defensive system is a joke to other teams. Bills fans deserve better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 6

Cincy was basically laughing at our defense.  Calling timeouts on your own 20 after a 4 yard play with 30 seconds left in the half when you’re up 10… Ultimate disrespect.  Not deferring in the Hamlin game.  

13 seconds the year before.  Running it back on the defensive side means putting all your marbles on a 34 year old returning from an ACL injury.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

To be fair though, he had the same starting 5 last season and they seemed to regress.  Not sure if that’s on him but our like played worse this season 

4 of the 5 the same, but agree with you overall.  I suppose the issue could be that Kromer's style didn't align with the players on the Bills strengths??

24 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree 100%. Almost feels like the organization has thrown in the towel sort of speak. Very unlikely this team sniffs the Super Bowl. Do you really think the team won't have significant injuries next year? That's just not realistic. I'm saddened and frustrated that this Bills organization thinks this group of coaches with its players can compete for a Super Bowl. I'm not buying it one bit but I know so many on here will. 

Don't despair....at least McSchott will have enough regular season wins to keep everyone happy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

As of right now, it feels like the only thing that could put some fire under the collective bottom of this organisation, leading to significant changes in the coaching tree or the approach to roster building, would be something of the magnitude of Josh demanding a trade. It won't come from anyone else, neither McBeane nor the Pegulas. It certainly appears they'll stubbornly ran it back over and over, most likely for a couple more playoff humiliations, until Josh, if he is smart, may indeed demand to be traded.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

https://theathletic.com/4128667/2023/01/26/buffalo-bills-offseason-coaches/?source=user_shared_article

I know a lot here don’t have a subscription to the Athletic so here’s how Joe Buscaglia analyzed the coaches.

While fans have wanted some changes after the bitter playoff exit, positional coaches aren’t likely what many had in mind. However, as of now, it appears both of the primary coordinators are poised to return in 2023.

Ken Dorsey:

The Bills offense has looked disjointed this season despite scoring points.  Dorsey will likely be back as he has support from Josh and Beane.  Also Beane talked about “year two” in his press conference which he otherwise would not do if there were plans to move on.  Looks like Dorsey is safe but if he’s back in 23, there is a ton of pressure to produce.    

Leslie Frazier:

Mentions there is heat on Frazier after the playoff loss, but that he was missing a key starter in Jones.  With injuries to Hyde, Miller and White, the Bills defense still finished 4th in DVOA.  

He also puts players in positions to be successful.  Unless he wants to retire, Frazier will be back for a 7th season.  

Joe Brady:

The Bills really like Brady but he’s been getting some OC calls which he may pursue.  If Brady comes back, he’s a prime candidate to take over for Dorsey.  

Aaron Kromer:

The Bills OL had a terrible year and it wouldn’t surprise Joe to see the Bills move on from Kromer. 

Bobby Babitch:

A future star in the building with DC potential.  If Frazier leaves he can see him taking over.  

Joe didn’t touch on any other coaches…

Z.E.R.O. accountability. N.O.N.E.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think we would be fine with either coordinator coming back. 

I don’t think either unit is elite but both were above average/good for the most part. I think either could be improved upon still. Most importantly I think after a good bit of time building a foundation and finding a plateau that we are in a spot that an outside voice could be very helpful. I’m not saying bring a radical scheme change but instead of promoting within go find fresh eyes that fit our existing talent. 

I also think some players are wanting to see at least a little shake up off the field.

Edited by NoSaint

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

To be fair though, he had the same starting 5 last season and they seemed to regress.  Not sure if that’s on him but our like played worse this season 

Bates was good at LG & C but when we signed Saffold he moved to RG. I think that may have thrown Dawkins & Morse off maybe? Just thinking out loud though

2 hours ago, McDeerInTheHeadlights said:

As of right now, it feels like the only thing that could put some fire under the collective bottom of this organisation, leading to significant changes in the coaching tree or the approach to roster building, would be something of the magnitude of Josh demanding a trade. It won't come from anyone else, neither McBeane nor the Pegulas. It certainly appears they'll stubbornly ran it back over and over, most likely for a couple more playoff humiliations, until Josh, if he is smart, may indeed demand to be traded.

I think what's more realistic is Diggs could be a problem if the teams is losing. He the ultimate competitor. He has a temper and wears his feelings on his sleeve. I can see him calling out players and coaches. McD calmed him down once but I'm not sure he gets another chance. It's something to watch in the future. The coaches could very well hear grumbling if things go south. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I think we would be fine with either coordinator coming back. 

I don’t think either unit is elite but both were above average/good for the most part. I think either could be improved upon still. Most importantly I think after a good bit of time building a foundation and finding a plateau that we are in a spot that an outside voice could be very helpful. I’m not saying bring a radical scheme change but instead of promoting within go find fresh eyes that fit our existing talent. 

I also think some players are wanting to see at least a little shake up off the field.

What is this coaching regime going to do differently? How are they going to improve? You know what you are getting in Fraizer. Nice stats for the regular season. A false sense that the defense is good due to the stats. Come playoff time his defense will fold like a cheap suit.

Dorsey doesn't inspire me as being the answer. He was so predictable, uncreative, and outclassed. Another year of on the job training. 

Coach McD is a high character guy. Hard not to like him as a person. He has built a close knit team that plays hard for him. However, in recent years Coach McD has been out coached and out classed. His game plans have been suspect and his in game adjustments are near non existent. 

Add it all up and this coaching regime will fall short next year too. The Bills organization needs new blood, positive scheme changes on defense and offense. Most importantly better players. Beane gave us nothing but excuses and false hopes. The same goes for what Fraizer and Dorsey offer. The Bills are on the decline. Miami might be better than the Bills, the Jets with a viable QB might be too. The Jags, Chargers, Balt, Pitt, etc will be formidable as well. 

My expectations of this team are fairly low. I'd say one and done in the playoffs to possibly not making them at all. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Exactly what I expected. I think that Babich is the next in line to be the DC.

4 hours ago, jlgarsh said:

Bates was good at LG & C but when we signed Saffold he moved to RG. I think that may have thrown Dawkins & Morse off maybe? Just thinking out loud though

dawkins is fine where is
Bates should go to left guard

Morse it’s probably a year away from retirement and we should draft our future center who should be able to back up at guard

Saffold absolutely needs to be replaced

We need to bring in competition for Spencer Brown Spencer absolutely should not be safe and right tackle until he earns it

Both coordinators back is bold

Dorsey fine it was his first season

Frazier this has been an issue every season

Bit of a hot take but never thought the day McDermott loses the locker room would be a legit possibility but next season can snow ball quickly.

Also thought I was done seeing mind numbing play calls an average fan would never call (3rd and short, let's throw a 30 yard fade or on defense 3rd and 10 let's use a time out then line up and give 15 yards of cushion)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.