Buscaglia: Both Bills Coordinators are likely to be back in 2023

JohnNord

53 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Well I think if McD holds both of these coordinators then he’s certainly sticking his own neck out there to be canned. If defense is useless again next season I think it means not only is frazier gone, but so will McD

Yeah he would be showing a lot of faith in both coordinators.  Still I don’t think he’s under as much pressure to win a Super Bowl as most fans want to think 

• Disagree 1

I understand the defensive DVOA and missing starters argument 

But so was Bengals offense 

injuries are part of the game 

Accountability doesn’t make excuses and there needs to be accountability for the playoff failures as well as our slow starts in the first quarter 

It’s almost like we take no time during the week to game plan. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

At least I won’t have championship expectations if this were the case. From the start of the season I could be a lot less emotionally involved and revert back to thinking the Bills will find a way to lose rather than win. Sounds doom and gloomy, but it’s the truth. These current coaches “ain’t it” and if Frazier is back running this defense then McD deserves to be shown the door when they inevitably prove to be a liability in the postseason again. 

• Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

Well I think if McD holds both of these coordinators then he’s certainly sticking his own neck out there to be canned. If defense is useless again next season I think it means not only is frazier gone, but so will McD

Hope so. Don’t tease me.

Not a huge Frazier fan, as I'd like to see a more aggressive/attacking/physical defense.  But...

1. Injuries: gotta be honest and see that key players were either out, or playing less than 100% against Cincy.  

2.  Beane/player evaluations on DL: they get absolutely no benefit of the doubt or excuses.  Point the finger here, because they haven't just missed on key FAs/cap money, but also critical draft picks at these positions: Star, Mario, Murphy, Butler, Aj, Boogie.  Then I'd consider Von, Ed, Jones, and Groot to "break-even", given what we gave up for them (ie: Cap and/or draft slots).

To me, I'm tired of seeing us draft players who aren't contributing at least AT OR ABOVE, draft slot.  Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs basically saved this franchise, and Beane his job.   Kudos on those moves, but to put this team in superbowl contention we need to stop wasting 2nd and 3rd round picks

• Agree 3

Content with good.  About sums up things. Considering how bad this organization was the previous 20 years, it’s understandable.  Maybe we’ll get lucky and the Chiefs, Bengals, 49ers, and Eagles get knocked off or have injury problems next year, but we ain’t beating any of those teams in the playoffs next year if we’re running it back.  They have better rosters and better coaching.  

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

At least I won’t have championship expectations if this were the case. From the start of the season I could be a lot less emotionally involved and revert back to thinking the Bills will find a way to lose rather than win. Sounds doom and gloomy, but it’s the truth. These current coaches “ain’t it” and if Frazier is back running this defense then McD deserves to be shown the door when they inevitably prove to be a liability in the postseason again. 

The lowered expectations will be easier to meet, ensuring a return of the same coaches for 2024 as well.  Drop Josh Allen on almost any team in the NFL, and the expectations are that making the playoffs are automatic.  Management and coaches are going to ride this horse for a decade, before a change is made. You can book it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

https://theathletic.com/4128667/2023/01/26/buffalo-bills-offseason-coaches/?source=user_shared_article

I know a lot here don’t have a subscription to the Athletic so here’s how Joe Buscaglia analyzed the coaches.

While fans have wanted some changes after the bitter playoff exit, positional coaches aren’t likely what many had in mind. However, as of now, it appears both of the primary coordinators are poised to return in 2023.

Ken Dorsey:

The Bills offense has looked disjointed this season despite scoring points.  Dorsey will likely be back as he has support from Josh and Beane.  Also Beane talked about “year two” in his press conference which he otherwise would not do if there were plans to move on.  Looks like Dorsey is safe but if he’s back in 23, there is a ton of pressure to produce.    

Leslie Frazier:

Mentions there is heat on Frazier after the playoff loss, but that he was missing a key starter in Jones.  With injuries to Hyde, Miller and White, the Bills defense still finished 4th in DVOA.  

He also puts players in positions to be successful.  Unless he wants to retire, Frazier will be back for a 7th season.  

Joe Brady:

The Bills really like Brady but he’s been getting some OC calls which he may pursue.  If Brady comes back, he’s a prime candidate to take over for Dorsey.  

Aaron Kromer:

The Bills OL had a terrible year and it wouldn’t surprise Joe to see the Bills move on from Kromer. 

Bobby Babitch:

A future star in the building with DC potential.  If Frazier leaves he can see him taking over.  

Joe didn’t touch on any other coaches…

Lucky us….Frazier coming back when in the last three playoff losses, his defense has given up 1403 yards and 107 points. Craps the bed when it counts, and not going in another direction proves the stubbornness of McD when it comes to needing to make important changes. I mean, McD isn’t a good playoff coach, why should we expect him to be able to spot the fact that his DC isn’t either?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Frazier and McDermott have definitely heard all of the criticisms that have rightly been levied against them about the ridiculously soft defense the team was playing, even before Von went down.  They both have eyes and saw the same thing as everyone else on Sunday.

I don't know how they could even consider arguing that they can just keep the same scheme and that all will be well when Hyde, Miller, and Jones are healthy, but that's exactly what I expect them to do.

Edited by Bills Fan in MD

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Not a surprise.

Kromer is one of the best o line coaches out there.  Get the guy some players.

Agree but Kromer's oline didn't look very good throughout most of the season. For some guy who is supposed to be the best oline coach around it was a disappointing performance. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.