Will we win the division next year?

Success

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I would like to see a team that’s more balanced not trying to figure out the running game as the playoffs get close but actually start working on it at the start of the season hundred yard rushers that are not Josh Allen

Score in the red zone with the running game, cut down on turnovers

Suffocate teams instead of trying to outscore them

First, I 100% agree.

However, my mind goes back to things we heard frequently when players like P Manning and A Rodgers were in their prime. We always heard about how they “wanted” to add the running game as a larger component to their offense. I’m not sure that ever materialized for any of them - at least not in the way that fans interpreted those statements.

We have heard McD comment on having the “threat” of a running game. There were a few games this season where we saw this. The Bills will still drop back and throw as many times as anyone else in the league. When they run - however seldom - they hit it for 7, 8, 10+ yards. The Bills actually had decent rushing performances this season (thank you Josh Allen).

I guess what I am trying to say is that, while I would love a dedicated rushing attack, I am not going to hold my breath. I think the shortest path is to improve the Bills’ interior O-line. At the end of the season, teams were able to take away a massive chunk of the Bills’ run game by simply speed rushing the edges and then shedding interior blocks as Allen tried to escape. Lots and lots of yards and first downs were left on the field - especially during the Bengals game. There were several times when the Bengals LBs and DBs immediately dropped, Allen started to run (good decision), but the DT was easily able to shed his block and get contact on Josh (bad execution). Those runs would have been back breakers for the Bengals’ approach.

I was going to say no, but, let's be real, that's just recency bias talking.  Bills still have good depth and a top 5 quarterback.  If they find a way to improve the oline and the defense can stay relatively healthy, they still look like the clear favorite to me.  It won't be as easy as it has been, but I'm taking the Bills as a betting man.  

16 hours ago, Success said:

Patriots - their D was better than ours this year, and one of the top D's in the NFL. If we had that D last week, we'd be playing this coming Sunday.  Now, they have an ACTUAL OC coming in, to coach a QB who will never be elite, but isn't as bad as we always say.

Jets - I thought they should have made the playoffs this year. And that was with bad QB play for most of the year.  They are going for a vet - Rodgers, Jimmy G., who knows.  Their D is already one of the top units in the league, and they have some great young players.  I think Saleh is the real deal.

Dolphins - obviously, the greatest threat.  If Tua was healthy all year, things might have played out very differently over the past few weeks. They are a very good team, on both sides of the ball.

I think the AFC East could be historically good as a division.  It will be such a fight - I'd still pick us to come out on top, but there will be a few close games that will likely decide it in the end.

Thoughts?

The Pats D isn't any better than ours. Ever so slightly ahead of ours in DVOA, 3rd vs. 4th, and they were pretty healthy compared to our huge amounts of defensive injuries. The Pats were 11thin points allowed and we were 2nd. Pats were 9th in yards allowed and we were 1st.

I'm less worried about the Pats and Fins than I am the Jets. It'll depend on the QB but I think they could be good. Like you, I like Saleh a lot.

IMO we stand a really good chance to win it next year, but a lot of the reason for that is that it doesn't look good as a division except for us, I think.

• Like (+1) 1

It's WAY TOO EARLY to have an intelligent conversation about this.

We don't even know who the QB of the Jets and Dolphins will be at this time.

We also are going to go through a lot of transition this year ourselves, and we don't know what that looks like yet.

My GUT says it will be even tougher next year, and I actually do think it is possible that we do not win the division...if, for example, Rodgers goes to the Jets and Brady plays in Miami....both of which are being discussed/anticipated by some.

I am already predicting a Bills regression next season, though that doesn't have to mean we don't win the division.

I think we'll still be very good, but lose a few more games and bow out of the playoffs earlier, or at the same spot....which is a regression when you consider we are supposed to be on an upward trajectory.

You can argue the last 2 seasons in a row, now, have been regressions.

• Like (+1) 2

its is so tough right now to make that prediction without seeing the offseason moves.

If you give me the Bills vs the field. I'll take the field (other three teams).  I still think the Bills are favored, but Miami and the Jets (with a new QB) will be really tough.

18 hours ago, Success said:

Patriots - their D was better than ours this year, and one of the top D's in the NFL. If we had that D last week, we'd be playing this coming Sunday.  Now, they have an ACTUAL OC coming in, to coach a QB who will never be elite, but isn't as bad as we always say.

Jets - I thought they should have made the playoffs this year. And that was with bad QB play for most of the year.  They are going for a vet - Rodgers, Jimmy G., who knows.  Their D is already one of the top units in the league, and they have some great young players.  I think Saleh is the real deal.

Dolphins - obviously, the greatest threat.  If Tua was healthy all year, things might have played out very differently over the past few weeks. They are a very good team, on both sides of the ball.

I think the AFC East could be historically good as a division.  It will be such a fight - I'd still pick us to come out on top, but there will be a few close games that will likely decide it in the end.

Thoughts?

Home: Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Broncos, Raiders, Cowboys, Giants, Buccaneers, Jaguars

Away: Chiefs, Chargers, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Eagles, Bengals, Commanders

With this schedule and the possibilities of Division opponents upgrading at the QB position with proven QB's, I don't see it being an easy path.

Im thinking No.  I do think they will be a 10-11 win WC team.  This (hopefully) will be their '1989' team who transitions into a solid and sustainable run.

*Im not overly negative.  I just think there are too many weak spots to effectively fix in an offseason and they will lose a step to hopefully gain one.

Edited by May Day 10

11 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Home: Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Broncos, Raiders, Cowboys, Giants, Buccaneers, Jaguars

Away: Chiefs, Chargers, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Eagles, Bengals, Commanders

With this schedule and the possibilities of Division opponents upgrading at the QB position with proven QB's, I don't see it being an easy path.

That road schedule is brutal.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, MJS said:

Yes. Most definitely. But we are past that as a franchise. We need an AFC championship game win. That's the next hurdle. That's the only win that will mean something significant going forward.

We have won about half of our playoff games under this regime. That's not what this team has lacked. Getting to the superbowl is the only legitimate goal now.

This is just a ridiculously idiotic take. Just because the Bills didn't beat a top 3 NFL team in the playoffs doesn't mean they are now a below .500 team.

I know I know. I exaggerated. It's just... it feels like we don't have it together enough to beat the good teams once in the postseason. Like the whole regular season feels like piling up diluted wins.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.