Bills D probably has 1 more year of running it back - and be good

appoo

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Meh.

It's too early to say this, IMO.

What if Greg Rousseau takes another step and becomes a double digit sack guy next year? What if the Bills re-sign Tremaine Edmunds? What if Kaiir Elam breaks out and becomes a shutdown corner? What if the coaches move Christian Benford to safety and he looks really good there? What if the Bills draft a defensive tackle in round 3 and he winds up being a really productive rotational pass-rusher?

Tremaine Edmunds is 24.
Taron Johnson is 26.
Greg Rousseau is 22.
Kaiir Elam is 21.
Matt Milano is 28.
Tre'Davious White is 28.
Taron Johnson is 26.
Christian Benford is 22.

The Bills finished as a top 3 scoring defense in three out of the past four seasons. 

Yes, I know the defense has been unimpressive in the playoffs the past few seasons. But no, that doesn't mean we can just pretend that they're not typically a top five defense all season long.

I'm salty about the way the season ended, too. I'm concerned about the fact that the defense doesn't look the same in the playoffs as it does in the regular season, too. I want to see some tweaks to playcalling going forward, too. But to say, as more and more seem to be doing on this forum, that the Bills defense is bad or "only has one year left" is, in my opinion, erroneous. 

They are a top 5 defense cause their scheme works in the regular season when you play more bad/average offenses then good ones. I mentioned it before but why don't they take some of what other teams have done against the team they are playing. 

Look how Baltimore held the Bengals offense in check for portions of that game. Why didn't the Bills take some of those plays and use them. 

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yes they can. They can literally do anything they want to do. There are different types of changes. They could change DL coach. They could change rush schemes and keep coaches. They could go more dramatic and risk some of the future by upgrading pass rush. 

Cap can be manipulated. There will be future consequences but it can be done. You’d also give up draft capital in a trade. But the Bills time is now, the future can wait. 

Respectfully disagree with the financial part (I agree you can make a lot of scheme changes). Just think there’s very little space there

1 hour ago, JMM said:

Great, another year of a " top 5" D during the year, and lay a egg in the playoffs.  But hey they won't give up bombs over the top....🙄

Neither of these coordinators are going anywhere

It’s time to start thinking about what we could’ve done to actually win the Bengals game

We could’ve not given them so many opportunities while they were mixing a pass coverage we could’ve ran the ball down their throat, if we had the tenacity to do so

We could’ve had better pass protection so the Josh Allen wasn’t running for his life on three man pass rushes

That’s what the ravens did and almost won. It was ground and pound owning the line of scrimmage running the ball.

We were missing our best interior D lineman in that game. Him being healthy would have been huge.

We need to start approaching it from this perspective because they’re not going to make changes in the management and coaching

Just now, John from Riverside said:

It’s time to start thinking about what we could’ve done to actually win the Bengals game

We could’ve not given them so many opportunities while they were mixing a pass coverage we could’ve ran the ball down their throat, if we had the tenacity to do so

We could’ve had better pass protection so the Josh Allen wasn’t running for his life on three man pass rushes

That’s what the ravens did and almost won. It was ground and pound owning the line of scrimmage running the ball.

We were missing our best interior D lineman in that game. Him being healthy would have been huge.

We need to start approaching it from this perspective because they’re not going to make changes in the management and coaching

There’s going to be more defensive changes. Coaching staff and players. It’s going to looks very different.

5 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

They are a top 5 defense cause their scheme works in the regular season when you play more bad/average offenses then good ones. I mentioned it before but why don't they take some of what other teams have done against the team they are playing. 

Look how Baltimore held the Bengals offense in check for portions of that game. Why didn't the Bills take some of those plays and use them. 

Makes me think it's on coaching. They go for too much nickle defense. Too much trust in themselves (Frazier). With Poyer, Hyde, Jones, Miller out espy good team's have there way. Need to adapt or adjustments with injuries. Sometimes poor playcalling.  As well try to follow gameplans what they did vs them (Raven's). Poor weather.I  think the failure is in these lines possibly.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There’s going to be more defensive changes. Coaching staff and players. It’s going to looks very different.

I don’t know why you would say that the bills are certainly not indicating it

Poyer probably gone hide probably stays other than that. What changes do you think you’re going to be made?

4 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I don't disagree with your point. I wish they WOULD take more from other defenses. I wish they would be more adaptable. I wish they'd be as good in the playoffs as they are in the regular season.

Still, I stand by my statement. Saying that the Bills defense is going to suddenly stink after last year...I don't buy it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

Because the Ravens pass rushers played far better than the Bills pass rushers did, and gave a much better platform to their 2 elite backers than the Bills 2 elote backer got.

The fonts are easy - beat the man lined up across from you. The ravens did a lot more of that than the Bills did

• Agree 1

I hear what you’re saying, and logically it makes sense, but nobody trusts this defense in the playoffs .. and that’s with very good reason.  

Three straight years of a heavily invested in defense being a complete liability in the playoffs.  

If all we get is a “run it back” and Salgado is the only guy taking a fall…. McDermott better hope and pray that next year goes differently because nobody will have any patience for a fourth straight year of this…

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't disagree with your point. I wish they WOULD take more from other defenses. I wish they would be more adaptable. I wish they'd be as good in the playoffs as they are in the regular season.

Still, I stand by my statement. Saying that the Bills defense is going to suddenly stink after last year...I don't buy it. 

Fully healthy roster D will look good. But key players due to injuries and poor play calling on D.  Like White couple years ago vs Chiefs. This year many players. Bill's try to stay too much in nickel d. I think the failure is adjust or adapt to players strength's and weakness for backups. They are trusting themselves possibly too much coaching staff d.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Will they ever be championship caliber under Frazier though?

I can't help but say no. Von may not even be 100% next year which is a huge concern.

At the end of the day the draft should still be used on offense. If you can score the defense doesn't have to be as good. 

Which IMO Buffalo has a paper D. Looks good on paper, but when it's 3rd and 8 for the game I don't trust them, and there is data to backup my mistrust. 

1 hour ago, appoo said:

Not necessarily saying this because I want it to be true (I’m 50/50), but because contractually it’s impossible not to do this.

The Bills defense is tied to Von Miller and Tre White. Both players have contracts that are A) uncuttable, and B) untradable.  

I believe all the DE and DTs will likely come back either under contract or renewed cheap contracts.

Poyer is gone as a FS, and will be replaced by Micah Hyde (Poyer replaced Hyde as the FS this season to not great results)

Jordan would have been replaced by Damar Hamlin, and will now likely be replaced by Christian Benford, an inexperienced but athletic and big player at 6-1, 205, with a 4.55 40.

They’ll have to work to get Edmunds signed but that’s gonna happen 

That’s all the bad news. Here’s the good news 

The bills pass rush was excellent with a healthy Von Miller - which has more to do with Von’s cascading effect than Von himself. He forces the attention of the oiffenses protection scheme, and that makes life easier for the other DEs, and especially Ed Oliver, who because he faces much fewer doubles, is more effective, which in turn makes life harder for the tackle he’s next lined up closest to him, and that really helps the other DE.  

When you have a ferocious pass rush, and you have to two elite linebackers in coverage, that’s a secondaries best friend. Why do the Niners have the best defense we’ve seen in a few years? Because they have a great pass rush, the best 2 linebackers in the game right now, and a fairly average secondary that gets away with being average.

The Bills secondary actually has considerable upside.  Benford is inexperienced, but a clear athletic upgrade to Damar Hamlin and even Poyer. He showed reasonable defensive instincts when he played early, so there’s some hope there that he can be more than an average SS. Finally, Micah Hyde is a top 5 FS, and that’s huge coming back.

Year 2 Kair Elam. He finished his rookie playing very well, and I expect him to get a bit better heading into year 2, and he has everything you want in someone you look to extend towards the end of of his rookie year 

Year 2 of Tre coming of his ACL.  At worst, my expectation is that White can be a quality boundary corner. He was already showing signs of that towards the end of the season. The ceiling for him is to return to his normal elite Zone/Boundary state who can also play field given some over the top help (he was never the fastest corner, but his short area quickness + instincts made him remarkable in both zone and basically any shorter to intermediate route)

Finally, Von Miller is an athletic freak of nature, and I don’t expect him to be slowed down at all. He’s already done this and come back just as strong and furious and he’ll do it again. 

So when you hear Beane talk about his Defense, this is why he probably sounds a bit more optimistic than you’d expect. 3 injuries really crushed that defense in a way that no DC would have been to overcome in Micah Hyde, Tre White and Von Miller. And especially losing Von Miller was the final break. 

My expectation, if we get Edmunds back, if White is a bit more explosive in his 2nd year coming off tje ACL and Von is resumed his normal explosiveness, is a top 5 D thag actually holds up in the playoffs. That was the entire reason for bringing Von, because of the cascading impacts to the rest of the DLine. Bills had their bad luck season. Time to get the normal to good luck season on D

Maybe if we can just have someone new calling the defense. Maybe just maybe that new voice can get more out of the the famous 4 Oliver, Epenesa, Rouse & Basham. I heard Vic Fangio is available he’s one of the greatest defensive minds of this generation. 

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Hopefully they make changes to there philosophies because if they don’t we’ll be right back here next yr talking about what went wrong again. We still might be back here talking about what went wrong again anyways! lol. This admin is horrible man I can’t stand them anymore. 

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

They're not even good right now.

Every postseason under this current regime has been a defensive failure.

Once is luck. Twice is circumstance. Three or more times is a habit.

I tend to agree with your comment, but in fairness I would have liked to see how a 100% healthy Bills defense would have done in the playoffs. We haven’t had that the last couple years. If we would have had everyone playing at full health and still got shredded by Cincy, then I don’t see how anyone could argue the defense isn’t good enough to win in the playoffs. 

34 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So we’re saying we have to wait through another statistically impressive seventeen game season just to find out that once again our team isn’t good enough to get to the Super Bowl? Fabulous! 

No, I expect them to have a minimum of 4 new starters on offense. Guard, Right Tackle, RB, and Slot. 

17 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Will they change the scheme though?

I would suspect they’ll be more complex in coverage disguise and schemes with more experienced - and capable - players back there 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

So you’re saying we have a chance. Sweet! 

I mean….Josh Allen is still on this football team. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.