Frank Reich named new Head Coach of Panthers

Draconator

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

His QBs in CArolina are Mayfield and Darnold.

Plus, he was the HC when those "washed up QB" decisions were made---one after another. 

Mayfield finished the season on the Rams & Darnold is a free agent.  His QBs are Matt Corral, PJ Walker (RFA) & if they want him Jacob Eason.  He needs to sign/trade for a veteran.

Carson Wentz?  😄

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Plus, he was the HC when those "washed up QB" decisions were made---one after another. 

Mayfield was released and is with the Rams. Did you take a nap mid-season?

• Haha (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oh that's right forgot all about the "SB Champs"!   

So it's Darnold and Walker.

7 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Mayfield finished the season on the Rams & Darnold is a free agent.  His QBs are Matt Corral, PJ Walker (RFA) & if they want him Jacob Eason.  He needs to sign/trade for a veteran.

Carson Wentz?  😄

6 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Mayfield was released and is with the Rams. Did you take a nap mid-season?

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think his time was basically up when they traded a 1 and 3 for Wentz and it didn’t work out. 

The whole point of the move is to recreate the efficiency they had in Philly. But ultimately it turned out that Pederson was the secret sauce. Suddenly Indy was left with a bad contract, down significant draft capital, and no answer at QB….again. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, wppete said:

He went 6-6. Frank Riech is a much better hire. Not many teams are hiring defensive minded HC anymore.  Hopefully we consider Wilks as a DC here. 

Frank Reich was 3-5-1 before he was fired by Indy.  

A "much better hire" based on what?  Wilks did more with a less talented roster.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I mean, he traded a first and a third for Carson Wentz.  His only other swings at QB were Eason and Ehlinger. 

The big one for me as an OC is that he had an opportunity to revive Wentz and it flopped without Pederson. That to me says that Pederson was the secret sauce not Frank. 

Frank Reich did not trade for QB front office did.

It is possible that Wentz cannot be revived.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

If you happened to listen to Beane's and McD's pressers, the takeaway for me regarding Dorsey was that his job is safe.  That's just my opinion based on what they said, but that's the feeling I got from both.

yes. it was a concern for me

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Frank Reich did not trade for QB front office did.

It is possible that Wentz cannot be revived.

Ok, so let’s go down that path. You would think Ballard made that decision unilaterally?

Or he asked Reich and Reich was like “nah, we got lucky for a year or two in Philly, he’s trash.” Then Ballard did it anyways?

It’s not a total coincidence that they spent resources on Reich’s former starting QB right after they brought in his other former QB in Rivers. A lot of mental gymnastics to keep Reichs legendary status intact. 

I don’t think Reich sucks. I do think he’s “meh”. A good stabilizing coach for a franchise that has been a mess, but not a guy to get you over the hump. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Ok, so let’s go down that path. You would think Ballard made that decision unilaterally?

Or he asked Reich and Reich was like “nah, we got lucky for a year or two in Philly, he’s trash.” Then Ballard did it anyways?

It’s not a total coincidence that they spent resources on Reich’s former starting QB right after they brought in his other former QB in Rivers. A lot of mental gymnastics to keep Reichs legendary status intact. 

I don’t think Reich sucks. I do think he’s “meh”. A good stabilizing coach for a franchise that has been a mess, but not a guy to get you over the hump. 

There's no chance that Frank had no choice with Wentz, Ryan....

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Mango said:

No I do not think he made it unilaterally. Most working front offices consult with HC on picks but they choose possible candidates for head coach to look at.

What were other choices he was given?  How long of a leash was he given?    Wentz was a bad trade IMO and blaming Reich on it is wrong.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.