Bill Parcells says Josh Allen needs help

Buffalo_Stampede

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This is all pretty obvious. I think it’s clear the defense needs to be better up front and more aggressive. But I wonder what change in running game style he is thinking about. I suspect he wants them to replace Singletary with a big back and run more of a power running game, but that’s just a guess based on his previous teams.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It didn't matter whether they lost or gained weight.  Neither can get to the qb. They're just not good enough. 

The Bills have had a substantially below average OL since McD took over 6 years ago.  I think the last thing he values on this team is OL. 

The Bills allocation of resources has been right on, IMO. They’ve spent decently on the OL. The problem is that their ROI has been poor. Same for the DL.

6 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

For the past 3 years the Bills have failed to develop any kind of consistent running game to help the QB. We drafted a pass catching RB and trade for another RB with speed and couldn’t figure out ways to utilize their skill set. Complete failure by the offensive staff. 

The don't really need a consistent running game. They need a line that can pass block. Allen is an assasin when he has time. 

6 hours ago, Sestak4ever said:

He says we need a lot of work on defense and offense. So, where do we start? Coordinators maybe? Some key personnel? Big off season questions for Beane and company.

The team is cap strapped. It has to be the coaches.

Either you paid the wrong People or you have the wrong people leading them. Your choice, either way someone should be out of work. Coordinators or Beane, make a choice. 

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

The don't really need a consistent running game. They need a line that can pass block. Allen is an assasin when he has time. 

You have to be able to run the football. Asking your line to consistently pass block all game is not the recipe for success. Especially late in the year when the weather changes. We’re a cold weather football team that plays like we’re playing in a dome. 

6 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

You have to be able to run the football. Asking your line to consistently pass block all game is not the recipe for success. Especially late in the year when the weather changes. We’re a cold weather football team that plays like we’re playing in a dome. 

All those dominating Patriots teams struck fear into people's hearts with their running game.  People shake when the Chiefs come to town for their running game. So I see what you mean. 

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, vincec said:

This is all pretty obvious. I think it’s clear the defense needs to be better up front and more aggressive. But I wonder what change in running game style he is thinking about. I suspect he wants them to replace Singletary with a big back and run more of a power running game, but that’s just a guess based on his previous teams.

A zone blocking scheme in the Shannahan mold would be my ideal mold. Using Josh out on bootlegs would be my ideal setup 

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I think their personnel is tailor made fo a gap scheme run mix. That is when they are at their best. Their run and pass games are super vanilla, zero play action. As much as he sucks as a play caller, a little Greg Roman run game would really help their cause. 

I don't disagree with you. That said, you need to establish the run for play action to be effective and we all know how good the Bills were at establishing the run game this year. (Note: engage sarcasm detector).

The Run Pass option (RPO) game was probably the closest the Bills were getting to true play action. With Allen's running ability and our otherwise anemic RB run game, the RPO style was the better choice.

8 hours ago, mannc said:

Parcels believes in drafting big bodies; Beane drafts tweeners like ‘lil Ed and Epenesa.

I agree.  The run schemes were awful. RBs were not the problem. Cook looked good in the second half of the season.

The game has certainly changed in the last 25 years, but it wouldn’t be the worst idea to have a couple mammoths at DT. When Pat Williams and Ted Washington and later Sam Adams were clogging up the middle, it sure opened everyone else up. 

• Like (+1) 3

Parcels has a flair for the obvious.  The running game for the Bills works sometimes, but not all the time.  The Bills need to figure out how to make it work better in the kinds of games where it currently falters.  Whether that means changing personnel on the offensive line, or the running backs or coaches or scheme is a matter for study and discussion.  Personally, I'm fine with Cook as a role player in the running back rotation.  I don't think he has enough body mass to get the majority of snaps on offense.  I'm not OK with Singletary.  I might offer him a contract that would allow him to compete for a roster spot, but not to have the role he's been given over the last few seasons.  I'd like to see them draft a RB that has some size (215lbs+) combined with at least a little quickness

Convince Gronk to come out of retirement & use 2 TE 3WR or 2TE, 2WR, 1 RB sets. Can't double cover both Gronk & Diggs. Keep Bease, give Shakir more reps, and use 1st 2 draft picks on OL (just my thoughts). Need Dorsey to actually design plays for TEs in this scenario though. If that doesn't happen, need to get another WR who's reliable. 

4 hours ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

The game has certainly changed in the last 25 years, but it wouldn’t be the worst idea to have a couple mammoths at DT. When Pat Williams and Ted Washington and later Sam Adams were clogging up the middle, it sure opened everyone else up. 

I keep thinking of Dexter Lawrence…

14 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I think their personnel is tailor made fo a gap scheme run mix. That is when they are at their best. Their run and pass games are super vanilla, zero play action. As much as he sucks as a play caller, a little Greg Roman run game would really help their cause. 

i would hire him as the running game coordinator. To be fair he never had great passers to work with either

14 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Epenesa was pretty big when drafted, same as Basham. They asked them to lose weight.

horrible idea that has failed

15 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That was probably his worst playoff game to date and he was still good given the circumstances imo…he was under immediate pressure on pretty much every snap.

those commentators are full of sh*t and they know it lol

And the brilliant OC kept calling the same plays 

16 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Question: is there any commentator out there who does not think this?

Question- does Beane realize this?  Or does he continue to blow draft picks and trade up for Boogie Basham types?

If Im Beane, I sign Saquan, and first three draft picks are OL, WR, and TE.  Then I draft a NT- to bolster line of scrimmage.  And DT and TE are the strengths of this draft.  Buffalo must control the line of scrimmage on both sides

Edited by Pete

17 hours ago, mannc said:

Parcels believes in drafting big bodies; Beane drafts tweeners like ‘lil Ed and Epenesa.

On defense especially, I think alot of what they've done over the last several years was try to get faster to combat KC's speed. Problem is KC traded Tyrek and changed their offensive philosophy. Add to that the arrival of a new, good team at the top, the Bengals.

First it was build a team to beat Brady and the Pats, then he left and it was the Chiefs, now here comes the Bengals. McBeane needs to build their team through they're own vision, not build a one to beat 1 certain team. Build your own identity and make teams adjust to you.

19 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I would really like him expanding on the "they need a lot of work on defense".

Does he mean that the individual personnel need to be different? --> implies Beane and McD have done a poor job of stocking the cupboard

Does he mean that the personnel type is not fully suited for the defense that McD wants to run? --> Again, a failure of Beane

Or that the coordinator is in over his head? --> HoofHearted, who knows X's and O's far better than I seems to think Frazier is fine. I, for one, think that repeatedly failing in critical games cannot just be on the personnel. Ultimately, the DC has the responsibility to scheme up/down to the personnel, opposing O and  in-game situations. Failing twice in a row on the playoffs cannot and should not be blamed on poor players. 

Would be very very interesting for Parcells or a respected coach to weigh in. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.