Mt. Rushmore of 90s Bands

BillsPride12

2 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The Presidents of the United States of America might be one of the greatest one hit wonder bands of all-time!  Peaches was on the radio 24/7 back then LOL

ah HA I found their One Hit. . Yeah I  remember this song. Vaguely but still it rings a bell. Meow That song cracked me up.

lol

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The Presidents of the United States of America might be one of the greatest one hit wonder bands of all-time!  Peaches was on the radio 24/7 back then LOL

I was hooked as soon as I heard Lump. Grew to like them a lot - they have a lot of catchy, quirky songs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I kind of lump Presidents of the United States of America, Offspring and Barenaked Ladies into the same category of "shticky."  I know it's not a word, but it's just how I feel about their music.

Offspring and POTUSOA each had a couple/few tunes that I enjoyed listening to.

Barenaked Ladies, to me, are pure garbage and I can't listen to more than one second of any of their songs before I feel my blood pressure rising.

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I kind of lump Presidents of the United States of America, Offspring and Barenaked Ladies into the same category of "shticky."  I know it's not a word, but it's just how I feel about their music.

Barenaked Ladies, to me, are pure garbage and I can't listen to more than one second of any of their songs before I feel my blood pressure rising.

Haven't you always wanted a monkey?

• Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Lump is definitely their better song. Only a couple hits out of these guys, but a decent record all around. They recently popped back up on Reddit for an AMA like a week ago.

I actually prefer their second album - which I don't think had any hits at all.  None of the albums after that were all that great, but each had at least a few good songs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Lump is definitely their better song. Only a couple hits out of these guys, but a decent record all around. They recently popped back up on Reddit for an AMA like a week ago.

I am going to check out an LP to get this band full flavor. I do know this song from back in the day. I think they overplayed it on commerical FM radio I'd change the channel. we can't all like everything. 

Now you want to talk about a song I actually hate with a musical passion it is THIS: Did anyone really like this song? 

I googled it was from 1982 not 90's. Sorry. Carry on but my view of this song is the same.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

That is a strange grouping. 

Saw BNL with Toad the Wet Sprocket and the Gin Blossoms opening for them for $42 a ticket, with the wife.  I liked the opening acts better but BNL was decent.

1 hour ago, muppy said:

Now you want to talk about a song I actually hate with a musical passion it is THIS: Did anyone really like this song? 

I googled it was from 1982 not 90's. Sorry. Carry on but my view of this song is the same.

I love that song.  "I wish I was in, Tijuana, eating barbecued iguana."

The BNL are playing a show in the Buffalo area this Summer(Artpark in Lewiston) and I've got some friends that are all gung-ho about it but I was never really into them.  I do like the song Old Apartment but not sure if I would have wanted to go see them live but I'll be out of town that week anyway so I didn't have to put much thought into it.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Saw BNL with Toad the Wet Sprocket and the Gin Blossoms opening for them for $42 a ticket, with the wife.  I liked the opening acts better but BNL was decent.

I think you either love that song or you don't. It's the twanggg "Im onna mexican raydeeeoooo Im Onna mexican whoaOooooooo raydeoooo"

its a fooking ANNOYING earworm hook LOL and I brought it up. atta gal mup @-@

🙂

Edited by muppy

5 hours ago, Doc said:

What a great line!

46 minutes ago, muppy said:

I think you either love that song or you don't. It's the twanggg "Im onna mexican raydeeeoooo Im Onna mexican whoaOooooooo raydeoooo"

🙂

I'm on the love side of the Mexican Radio coin. The video with the lead singer's head coming out of a pot of baked beans was a big plus too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

I had a roommate once who was addicted to Crash Test Dummies.  I came through it alive and am not addicted to Crash Test Dummies...  amazingly I can't even name a single song. He also watched Tombstone for like 50 straight days, nonstop, no lie - film major, and he was studying every last nuance I suppose.  I still like Tombstone, but I only caught bits and pieces in passing during his psycho-hunker-down. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, muppy said:

🙂

You talking Wall of Voodoo?  Pretty sure that was 70's/ early 80's, but I may be confusing some of that with the Vapors. 

Edit:  thanks to the power of not having to remember much of anything due to the internet, Mexican radio was '82 and The Vapors were 1980.  Do I sense 2 obvious entries for the 'Mt. Rushmore of the 1980's' thread?

On 3/20/2023 at 9:21 AM, LeviF said:

I've repeated it in these fora until I'm blue in the face but there was good rock music being made as the 2000s rolled on into the 2010s and still is now. There's just precious little available radio time for rock as compared to the 90s and even the early 00s, so you have to look for it. 

The Gaslight Anthem, Against Me!, The Menzingers, The 1975, The Killers, Red City Radio, Muse, The Ruse, Foo Fighters, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Spoon...then there's harder stuff and more emo stuff that objectively is good music but isn't everyone's taste. Examples include Good Charlotte, Bad Omens, Godsmack, I Prevail, August Burns Red, A Perfect Circle, Chevelle, The Amity Affliction, A Day to Remember, etc...

The lists can run for a while. Hard to do a Mt. Rushmore style top four so soon after or during an era of music though.

On 3/20/2023 at 9:25 AM, GoBills808 said:

Yes there was

Black Keys and Auerbach also

It's not like I dropped off the planet the moment 2000 struck.  Some of that list I know and others I'll check out- thank you.  That said, as we came into the 2000's, something went missing ... from bands like The Strokes (see Pavement), The Killers (see The Kills) and Black Keys (see Frustrated Incorporated) it just started feeling so rote. 

The FCC Act of 1996 destroyed radio and almost certainly brought about the shitturd smorgasbord of hardly listenable bands being foistered upon the decent peoples of America.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.