Mt. Rushmore of 90s Bands

BillsPride12

4 minutes ago, teef said:

i don't think i've ever seen chumbawamba.  i'm appalled. 

57 million views lol what a fun blast of the past lmao Chumbawamba made BANK on this song amigos. One hit wonders indeed~

Edited by muppy

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

First off, great post. And great point. There is a lot of great new music out there. The trouble is finding it.

Radio isnt the place to find new music anymore regardless of genre. Radio is only playing whatever iHeart/Sinclair/Whoever is being paid the most to play. It's impossible for new artists to get played on the radio. Radio isnt launching any careers, too much risk in maybe not making money. They only play what pays.

I've found a TON of new, fresh, modern rock thanks to Spotify.

My recommendation for folks looking for new music: Go to your favorite artist's spotify page, for example Queens of the Stone Age, then go to the Queens of the Stone Age Radio playlist and/or the "Fans also like..." section.

From there, you can find great new bands like The Black Angels and Band of Skulls.

Take it a step deeper by going to those bands' Radio Playlists and "Fans also like...", and boom, endless supply of new music.

As to the bolded, it depends. I am in the lucky situation that our university has a university-funded student-run radio station, playing mostly indie stuff. Without KTXT-FM, my music collection would look (and sound) much bleaker. This is where I first heard The Black Angels.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

First off, great post. And great point. There is a lot of great new music out there. The trouble is finding it.

Radio isnt the place to find new music anymore regardless of genre. Radio is only playing whatever iHeart/Sinclair/Whoever is being paid the most to play. It's impossible for new artists to get played on the radio. Radio isnt launching any careers, too much risk in maybe not making money. They only play what pays.

I've found a TON of new, fresh, modern rock thanks to Spotify.

My recommendation for folks looking for new music: Go to your favorite artist's spotify page, for example Queens of the Stone Age, then go to the Queens of the Stone Age Radio playlist and/or the "Fans also like..." section.

From there, you can find great new bands like The Black Angels and Band of Skulls.

Take it a step deeper by going to those bands' Radio Playlists and "Fans also like...", and boom, endless supply of new music.

The Royal Blood is my favorite newer rock band.  They were surprisingly good live too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The Royal Blood is my favorite newer rock band.  They were surprisingly good live too.

Maybe the best album of 2014

Royal_Blood_-_Royal_Blood_(Artwork).jpg

Edited by LeviF
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, muppy said:

57 million views lol what a fun blast of the past lmao Chumbawamba made BANK on this song amigos. One hit wonders indeed~

i once almost got into a drunken fight with a friend over who was the better band...chumbawabma or the presidents of the united states of america.    i was on the side of the presidents.

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, muppy said:

melting. I adore PJ Harvey. my buddy in BFLO would buy her British imports back in the day #FIERCE

BRAVO 💃 talk abut a musical feast/fiesta Gracias 🙂 The music themed OTW threads have been Very fruitful lately. We are a fun bunch! I am sure many of us would be amigos in real life. But alas geography. So in closing I will just say thank you for the gift. everybody.  y'all are my Peeps :-)))))

Bjork is again unknown territory. Beautiful, Fragile, Stylish. How did I miss her? She's Fabulous !~!~!!! 

Want your mind blown?

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Definitely the POTUSA

of course.  i know it's a terrible argument, but the presidents are better.  i think tubthumping was the unofficial anthem for his fraternity at oswego, so he was very protective of it.

2 minutes ago, teef said:

of course.  i know it's a terrible argument, but the presidents are better.  i think tubthumping was the unofficial anthem for his fraternity at oswego, so he was very protective of it.

I get it. It was also the official anthem at Sunny's in Fredonia while I was there. Great (hazy) memories and nostalgia.

6 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Want your mind blown?

I just saw that she is headlining at Coachella this April. I'm sure that will be a great show. Her music is highly stylish as is she. Alas I won't be attending but there's aways youtube 🙂

m

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I get it. It was also the official anthem at Sunny's in Fredonia while I was there. Great (hazy) memories and nostalgia.

I had no idea that song was THAT popular and iconic. Now I will need to investigate POTUSA I know zilcho about that band.

Nirvana is the only band who truly separates themselves from the pack in the 90’s. There’s 90’s bands I like, but none are next level like bands of the 60’s-80’s. The biggest 90’s bands had short commercial peaks compared to top artists of previous generations. 

Edited by SirAndrew

On 2/9/2023 at 9:28 AM, Doc said:

I was well on top of the 90's music scene.  It was the soundtrack of med school and residency for me.  

GGD were a really good band and best of all were from Buffalo.  Iris is an amazing song and is perfect for CoA.  But their time was fleeting and limited mainly to the late 90's.  They sold 7.5M albums while a band like Soundgarden sold 14M without having their songs featured in movies.  That's why I can't put them on the MR of the 90's without feeling like a homer.  But hey, that's just me.

I agree with the Mount Rushmore point, but I think people forget the power of one song to maintain a legacy. The legacy of 90’s bands hasn’t been fully written. A song like Iris has the potential to be a sensation for years to come. Look at a tune like Don’t Stop Believin’. I see Iris as having similar potential.

The music business is in rough shape, many top 100 songs on streaming services were released over twenty years ago. That’s what keeps songs like Iris in the spotlight. It’s also a tune that appeals to a broad demographic. Soundgarden might have sold a ton of records, but they appealed to a narrow demographic who bought up those albums. I wouldn’t be shocked if Iris makes GGD more universally known than bands like Soundgarden in the future. 

• Disagree 1

19 hours ago, teef said:

MEOW.....lmao first time listen OUTSTANDING!~!~!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.