Mt. Rushmore of 90s Bands

BillsPride12

On 2/9/2023 at 8:08 AM, SDS said:

Again, Buffalo aside, you should really revisit the dominance they had in the late 90s spilling over into 00s. MTV is not Buffalo radio. City of Angels is not a Buffalo movie, nor was treasure Island. They were the band that epitomized the late 90s. Coincidentally, they were from Buffalo. 

they weren’t as big as nearly any of the other bands discussed. They certainly weren’t influential in a way that moved music or opened doors. You’d really have to make the mountain quite wide to justify them in the image with any confidence they really belonged by any criteria someone could come up with. 

that’s not to say anything is wrong with them. Carving out a commercially successful career is a huge accomplishment. 

Not reinventing the wheel here but… nirvana and PJ probably have to be there regardless of if they are anyone’s favorite. 

also likely need something heavier from Rage, NIN, korn

then you stumble into STP, soundgarden, AIC, RHCP, smashing pumpkins the two heavies not selected above, Radiohead, oasis, a variety of poppy punk stuff I didn’t love -Green Day, blink, offspring etc… - poppy rock like no doubt…. Sublime. Getting towards Goo Goo dolls, you probably have to pass up counting crows as a bigger and more noteworthy in the same vein. Maybe could argue who would win in a fight between hootie, GGD and matchbox 20, right?

and that leaves off a bulk of the multi decade bands like U2, REM, Metallica, Pantera, GNR

Heck it even ignores blur, garbage, black Crowes, sonic youth, Jane’s addiction, faith no more, Manson… I hate to say it but there’s probably an argument that kid rock or Fred dursts face belong on it as the bookend closing out the decade. 

it’s incredibly difficult to come up with a criteria where you pull GGD out of that list as the absolute cream of the crop. 

Edited by NoSaint

Catching a couple opinions, or mostly non-opinions, from folks who found their music hey-day sometime earlier than the subject matter makes me realize how little of a ***** I give about the music of 2023.  

Honestly I think it's with good reason (most of it looks like low-rent, technology propped show-business to me), BUT. It also means I may be falling prey to the old, 'they just don't make 'em like they usta' syndrome.  

Maybe some adventurous sot with decent taste can start a Mt. Rushmore of the 20Somethings thread to whap the old and ancient around here across our noggins. 

I'll hold my breath, and in the mean time how about a 90's Mt Rushmore of the gals.  

Sid had Nancy, grunge had Hole:

This one's kind of a B-side concept.  Not sure the band belongs anywhere near a Mt. Rushmore based upon overall output, but the sound absolutely does.  This song just bleeds the finery of the 1990's, and Harriet Wheeler's voice is perfectly stripped down and stunning:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Motoring on, PJ Harvey deserves her own spot entirely, but this song is just too gorgeous to pass up:

and on the concept of gorgeous, I don't think there will ever be a song which can take me to a more perfect place in this world:

Except maybe My Generation off Live at Leeds, but I'm a romantic by nature...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Maybe some adventurous sot with decent taste can start a Mt. Rushmore of the 20Somethings thread to whap the old and ancient around here across our noggins. 

I've repeated it in these fora until I'm blue in the face but there was good rock music being made as the 2000s rolled on into the 2010s and still is now. There's just precious little available radio time for rock as compared to the 90s and even the early 00s, so you have to look for it. 

The Gaslight Anthem, Against Me!, The Menzingers, The 1975, The Killers, Red City Radio, Muse, The Ruse, Foo Fighters, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Spoon...then there's harder stuff and more emo stuff that objectively is good music but isn't everyone's taste. Examples include Good Charlotte, Bad Omens, Godsmack, I Prevail, August Burns Red, A Perfect Circle, Chevelle, The Amity Affliction, A Day to Remember, etc...

The lists can run for a while. Hard to do a Mt. Rushmore style top four so soon after or during an era of music though.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeviF said:

I've repeated it in these fora until I'm blue in the face but there was good rock music being made as the 2000s rolled on into the 2010s and still is now. There's just precious little available radio time for rock as compared to the 90s and even the early 00s, so you have to look for it. 

The Gaslight Anthem, Against Me!, The Menzingers, The 1975, The Killers, Red City Radio, Muse, The Ruse, Foo Fighters, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Spoon...then there's harder stuff and more emo stuff that objectively is good music but isn't everyone's taste. Examples include Good Charlotte, Bad Omens, Godsmack, I Prevail, August Burns Red, A Perfect Circle, Chevelle, The Amity Affliction, A Day to Remember, etc...

The lists can run for a while. Hard to do a Mt. Rushmore style top four so soon after or during an era of music though.

Yes there was

Black Keys and Auerbach also

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Against Me, Rise Against, and pretty much anything playing on a rock station these days all sounds like Creed to me and I mean that in the only way possible. 

Its a sad state of affairs but I have not found a new band or artist of any genre that I care about in the last 5 to 10 years.  Most of what I'm finding is a new appreciation for bands that I overlooked in the 90s and early 2000s.  I really didnt think it would happen to me.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Against Me, Rise Against, and pretty much anything playing on a rock station these days all sounds like Creed to me and I mean that in the only way possible. 

Its a sad state of affairs but I have not found a new band or artist of any genre that I care about in the last 5 to 10 years.  Most of what I'm finding is a new appreciation for bands that I overlooked in the 90s and early 2000s.  I really didnt think it would happen to me.

Rise Against is pretty tired. Against Me I haven't actually heard anything that they've made since the sex change lol

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

First off, great post. And great point. There is a lot of great new music out there. The trouble is finding it.

Radio isnt the place to find new music anymore regardless of genre. Radio is only playing whatever iHeart/Sinclair/Whoever is being paid the most to play. It's impossible for new artists to get played on the radio. Radio isnt launching any careers, too much risk in maybe not making money. They only play what pays.

I've found a TON of new, fresh, modern rock thanks to Spotify.

My recommendation for folks looking for new music: Go to your favorite artist's spotify page, for example Queens of the Stone Age, then go to the Queens of the Stone Age Radio playlist and/or the "Fans also like..." section.

From there, you can find great new bands like The Black Angels and Band of Skulls.

Take it a step deeper by going to those bands' Radio Playlists and "Fans also like...", and boom, endless supply of new music.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I've found a TON of new, fresh, modern rock thanks to Spotify.

Same here with Apple Music, similar setup. Eventually they make a "radio station" based off of your listening habits and they'll surprise you with stuff you've never heard but are reasonably close in content and genre to your most played music. Then there's "radio stations" for "*insert top played band here* and Similar Artists." So on and so on. 

As much as I enjoy vinyl, it beats the hell out of digging through milk crates and guessing.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LeviF said:

Same here with Apple Music, similar setup. Eventually they make a "radio station" based off of your listening habits and they'll surprise you with stuff you've never heard but are reasonably close in content and genre to your most played music. Then there's "radio stations" for "*insert top played band here* and Similar Artists." So on and so on. 

As much as I enjoy vinyl, it beats the hell out of digging through milk crates and guessing.

Nice, yeah, I figured most streaming services were similar. So whichever you are using. Great place to dig without much investment.

10 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Motoring on, PJ Harvey deserves her own spot entirely, but this song is just too gorgeous to pass up:

and on the concept of gorgeous, I don't think there will ever be a song which can take me to a more perfect place in this world:

Except maybe My Generation off Live at Leeds, but I'm a romantic by nature...

melting. I adore PJ Harvey. my buddy in BFLO would buy her British imports back in the day #FIERCE

8 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Crap I spaced Bjork.  I'd imagine she'd be very much front and center on the Mts. Rushmore.  Fruitful writing:

And that OH MY GOD voice:

BRAVO 💃 talk abut a musical feast/fiesta Gracias 🙂 The music themed OTW threads have been Very fruitful lately. We are a fun bunch! I am sure many of us would be amigos in real life. But alas geography. So in closing I will just say thank you for the gift. everybody.  y'all are my Peeps :-)))))

Bjork is again unknown territory. Beautiful, Fragile, Stylish. How did I miss her? She's Fabulous !~!~!!! 

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.