Mt. Rushmore of 90s Bands

BillsPride12

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Thanks for saying this.  I think, out of Bleach, Incesticide, Nevermind and In Utero ... In Utero was probably their most complete album.  LOVED IT. 

Its a pretty perfect album.   There is even an artistry of the way the songs flow into one another.  Its absolutely filled with blistering guitar and huge hooks for 35 minutes or so, and then to have All Apologies as the final song...I still pull the album on it stands the test of time.

Miss the days when music still had some mystery to it.   Loved hitting up the Lockport mall music store to look through the Imports and B-sides for Nirvana stuff.  For the life of me I dont remember the store's name before it was bought out by a bigger chain.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Miss the days when music still had some mystery to it.   Loved hitting up the Lockport mall music store to look through the Imports and B-sides for Nirvana stuff

The feeling of thumbing through the selection at a record store and coming across a rare import or b-side that you've never seen before. Ringing it up, taking it home, inspecting the packaging and liner notes like you're looking for a hidden treasure map while you listen on repeat.

Man, I miss that.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Its a pretty perfect album.   There is even an artistry of the way the songs flow into one another.  Its absolutely filled with blistering guitar and huge hooks for 35 minutes or so, and then to have All Apologies as the final song...I still pull the album on it stands the test of time.

Miss the days when music still had some mystery to it.   Loved hitting up the Lockport mall music store to look through the Imports and B-sides for Nirvana stuff

Back when it first came out, I had a CD player/alarm clock.  I had In Utero in the CD player and that was my alarm.  Let me tell you ... the beginning of Serve the Servants got my ass up QUICK!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

When I think about what Kurt Cobain might have gone on to do musically if he had lived, it makes me really sad.

Unplugged in NY is a masterpiece. I still listen to that album regularly. I listen to it the most of any Nirvana album, in fact. It's just amazing, and showed this whole new side of Kurt and direction that the music could take. The fact that we never got to see/hear where it could lead is just heartbreaking. "Heavier Than Heaven", the in-depth biography of Cobain by Charles R Cross, remains the only time ever in my life that I finished the last page of a book and just started bawling. 

Dave Grohl is still my favorite drummer of all time, and the fact that he plays guitar for a living now is crazy to me. It would be like Hendrix deciding to play drums for the balance of his career. I get WHY Grohl stepped away from drums (he said in his book that it's basically just too emotionally painful), but still...

Part of me thinks Kurt HAD to die early, in the same way that Morrison and Hendrix and Joplin had to die early. There's a way in which that kind of early death freezes the musician in this idyllic, mythologized state. Maybe if any of them had lived to old age, they would have made awful music and become sad, fat caricatures. I don't know.

It makes me feel the same way.    I found Nirvana right after my Father passed away, he was a musician as well.   I was so used to being into the bands my Dad was into, that Nirvana felt like the first band that was just for me.   What Kurt was writing about and the way the music was just so visceral really made me feel like I had a friend in the form of music.   I was completely destroyed with grief, my Dad was my best friend, and losing him pretty much put me in a place where I didnt want to even get out of bed to go to school.  But I had my Nirvana albums.  I had all the magazine interviews Kurt gave and all the books that were written about them.  Through that I found a whole new world of authors, music, and people.   I fell in love with William S. Burroughs and Charles Bukowski because of Kurt. 

I haven't read the Charles Cross book yet but I'll make sure to get it this weekend.   Dave's book was fantastic.    Along the same lines of the way the Cross book made you feel, this interview with Krist is just so sad to me.  "He shouldnt have done that"  Its trite but incredibly true.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

It makes me feel the same way.    I found Nirvana right after my Father passed away, he was a musician as well.   I was so used to being into the bands my Dad was into, that Nirvana felt like the first band that was just for me.   What Kurt was writing about and the way the music was just so visceral really made me feel like I had a friend in the form of music.   I was completely destroyed with grief, my Dad was my best friend, and losing him pretty much put me in a place where I didnt want to even get out of bed to go to school.  But I had my Nirvana albums.  I had all the magazine interviews Kurt gave and all the books that were written about them.  Through that I found a whole new world of authors, music, and people.   I fell in love with William S. Burroughs and Charles Bukowski because of Kurt. 

I haven't read the Charles Cross book yet but I'll make sure to get it this weekend.   Dave's book was fantastic.    Along the same lines of the way the Cross book made you feel, this interview with Krist is just so sad to me.  "He shouldnt have done that"  Its trite but incredibly true.

My story mirrors yours, except with Pearl Jam.

Grew up listening to The Beatles, Elvis, Neil Young, and the Who. Lost my Dad at age 13. Overtaken with grief. Pulled my hood up, put my headphones on, and retreated into my own little world. Just about that time, I discovered Pearl Jam, and like you say, it was the first music that was MINE. And Eddie lost his Dad around the same age, and his music...really A LOT of the music of that era...was speaking directly to me. It was like it was written for me specifically.

While I was lost in Pearl Jam land, my brother Joe was a monstrous Nirvana fan. He grew his hair out like Kurt, dressed like him, formed a Nirvana cover band called "Sliver". He bought all the b-sides and imports and magazines and VHS's from those old record stores in the malls. Through him, I wound up hearing and learning by heart just about every Nirvana tune. I don't listen as much to them these days, with the exception of Unplugged in NY, because my musical tastes have mellowed out a bit over the years.

Kurt was such a sweet, vulnerable, gentle soul. Heavier Than Heaven is possibly the best biography I've ever read, and I love biographies. It IS, well...heavy, though. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Edited by Logic
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

On SXM, I listen to the Beatles Channel and Lithium about 90% of the time.  Classic Vinyl, The Blend and Deep Tracks get some play, too.  That's just about it for me, but I do dabble with other stations once in a while.

thoguhts on 1st wave?

i love the saturday night safety dance, and the breakfast beatmix. listen to the beatmix every morning probably

Just now, boyst said:

thoguhts on 1st wave?

i love the saturday night safety dance, and the breakfast beatmix. listen to the beatmix every morning probably

Never heard/heard of it.  I just checked the site and the description (for others who may be interested) is:

Channel 33

Hear the first wave of Alternative and New Wave from the late ‘70s through the ‘80s. From early U2 and the Police to Depeche Mode and R.E.M.

That sounds great and I'll definitely check it out!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Radiohead

Sublime

RHCP

The Cranberries

Had to argue with myself a little bit on whether GnR should be considered an 80s band or a 90s band. Same with Green Day 90s/00s. Ended up with GnR as 80s. Still not sure about Green Day as they've effectively had two careers.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

My story mirrors yours, except with Pearl Jam.

Grew up listening to The Beatles, Elvis, Neil Young, and the Who. Lost my Dad at age 13. Overtaken with grief. Pulled my hood up, put my headphones on, and retreated into my own little world. Just about that time, I discovered Pearl Jam, and like you say, it was the first music that was MINE. And Eddie lost his Dad around the same age, and his music...really A LOT of the music of that era...was speaking directly to me. It was like it was written for me specifically.

While I was lost in Pearl Jam land, my brother Joe was a monstrous Nirvana fan. He grew his hair out like Kurt, dressed like him, formed a Nirvana cover band called "Sliver". He bought all the b-sides and imports and magazines and VHS's from those old record stores in the malls. Through him, I wound up hearing and learning by heart just about every Nirvana tune. I don't listen as much to them these days, with the exception of Unplugged in NY, because my musical tastes have mellowed out a bit over the years.

Kurt was such a sweet, vulnerable, gentle soul. Heavier Than Heaven is possibly the best biography I've ever read, and I love biographies. It IS, well...heavy, though. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I did the hood up headphones on routine into my twenties.   Walked around Suny Brockport listening to City and Colour with snowflakes falling down around me.   MP3 players were a step up from the Walkman I use to carry around with me in High School!  Still love the feeling of going on walks with music playing in my headphones. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

Radiohead

Sublime

RHCP

The Cranberries

Had to argue with myself a little bit on whether GnR should be considered an 80s band or a 90s band. Same with Green Day 90s/00s. Ended up with GnR as 80s. Still not sure about Green Day as they've effectively had two careers.

Well, GnR basically made one great album and that came out in 1987.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit late to the game. I did not listen to 90s music when it came out, but I listen to a lot of it now. I don’t have the in-depth knowledge of every band from that era, especially the harder stuff. With that said:

1. Pearl Jam. I don’t even think this one is a question. Not only were they influential, but then you add the longevity.

2. Nirvana. With two of their three albums in the 90s, I guess you have to put Nirvana at number two. Nevermind pretty much put the nail in the coffin of every hairband that was still hanging around.

3. STP. I put that number three because I like them. Go pound sand if you think Soundgarden was better. Me don't care. 

4. Goo Goo Dolls. I’m going off the reservation with this one. In recognition that the early 90s were vastly different from the late 90s, we should all look back at how ubiquitous GGD was after a boy named goo and dizzy up the girl. By 1999 they were everywhere. MTV, movie soundtracks, guest appearances. Johnny Rzeznik was the voice of pop/rock music for several years there. Maybe they could’ve been considered a 2000 band, but with those two albums being in the 90s I’m going to give them the unconventional nod.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/26/2023 at 2:25 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden

Should just be reiterations of the same 5-10 bands for everyone :thumbsup:

I'd run with this list.  And I quickly realize that there's only one lead singer left among the group. 

• Sad 2

On 1/27/2023 at 10:35 AM, Mark80 said:

Welcome to Sky Valley is one of my favorite Vinyls to play!

I need to go dig out my copy of Blues for a Red Planet.

Underrated by highly influential band that just doesn't get the love they deserve.

On 2/6/2023 at 10:25 PM, SDS said:

A little bit late to the game. I did not listen to 90s music when it came out, but I listen to a lot of it now. I don’t have the in-depth knowledge of every band from that era, especially the harder stuff. With that said:

1. Pearl Jam. I don’t even think this one is a question. Not only were they influential, but then you add the longevity.

2. Nirvana. With two of their three albums in the 90s, I guess you have to put Nirvana at number two. Nevermind pretty much put the nail in the coffin of every hairband that was still hanging around.

3. STP. I put that number three because I like them. Go pound sand if you think Soundgarden was better. Me don't care. 

4. Goo Goo Dolls. I’m going off the reservation with this one. In recognition that the early 90s were vastly different from the late 90s, we should all look back at how ubiquitous GGD was after a boy named goo and dizzy up the girl. By 1999 they were everywhere. MTV, movie soundtracks, guest appearances. Johnny Rzeznik was the voice of pop/rock music for several years there. Maybe they could’ve been considered a 2000 band, but with those two albums being in the 90s I’m going to give them the unconventional nod.

Good band but only possibly MR worthy because they're from Buffalo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.