The Bills have a Tre White problem

Back2Buff

Lots of things to call out personnel wise but I don’t think Tre is on top of it

at least not from me - safe this year in my eyes.  Now he sucks next year we have a problem

when von went down - that was it.  No pressure up front unless we played subpar opponents…none!

that’s on Leslie Frazier, Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane.

beanes personnel is horrible upfront and everyone knows it.

frazier and McDermott didn’t change anything and just felt their guys could do it “oh we believe in them “ 

the “inconsistent” comment isn’t legit.  They aren’t good enough and can’t be consistent when they go against good teams that’s why.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

What's a pass rush going to do when your CB has to play 5 yards off a player because he will get burned if he doesn't, and the QB just pops it out in 2 secs to the WR that has a 5 yard cushion?

A lot of CBs play off coverage. A lot of good defenses play off. We need need the ability to also play press as well. 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We don’t have a pass rush. We could have 4 all pro CBs and they aren’t covering with our pass rush. I think it was the worst pass rush in football without Von Miller.

if that's true (and i think it is at least more than it is false) then we have a sort of fragile scheme that protects the heck out of the secondary and asks a lot of the DL.  in that case, we shouldn't be dropping big cash or high draft picks on corners and safeties. 

i think the combo of signing tre poy, taron, hyde, and milano to big extensions and drafting elam w a 1st shows a lack of planning.  i get signing a couple of them, but they all have gone down at various times with only a small impact on the D (which still sucks in the playoffs in our exit game) but the 34 year old DE who we rotate in with the rest of them goes down and our pass rush goes from deadly to worst in class.

looking back at mcd's d in carolina, he made josh norman look like a super star, and had what was considered a generational talent at MLB, but when gregg woman beater hardy went down, that d went from savage to soft.

hind sight is 20/20, but based on the above we should be staffing up our DBs w cheap young rookies and signing maybe a couple of them, have some draft pick play along side milano, and we shoulda traded picks to get pass rushers from other teams (we could have had von and chub like denver did instead of say AJ or basham).

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Mac Jones could do whatever he wanted against our DB's, why did he make the decision to throw 3 INT's?

Milano and Edmunds caught two of the three INTs.

White's INT was Mac Jones giving him a gift.  Tre was playing way off and the ball sailed.  

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

The whole Tre White situation to start the year was strange at first, but then you seen him get on the field, and you realized why he wasn't playing.  The guy was not very good this year at all.  Some will blame the injury, but how many games you going to give a guy till he is back to playing up to his very large payday?

I think White will never be what he was.  He looked old out there, even after just playing 5 or 6 games this year.  I also think his playing style limits the entire defense on the type of defense we can play.  He does not excel in press man and needs to play off guys.  I personally think this team needs to play more press man.  Tough to transition to that when your "number 1" CB and 16 million dollar man can't play it at a top level.

Problem with White is, you can't get out of his contract.  His dead cap is higher than if he is on the team.

The only option I really see, is if Taron Johnson takes over for Poyer at safety.  Tre moves to nickel corner where he will be less exposed on an island, and you bring in another press man outside CB to pair with Elam.  Elam's strength is press man and it was really head scratching you drafted him and then played him in a zone.

I expect the old Tre to be back week 1 2023. That was my expectation since Thanksgiving 2021. People who talked themselves into him being ready to roll week 1 this season weren’t being realistic. Most of those same people are kidding themselves into believing Miller will be 100% week 1. We will be lucky if he’s even close to that by the playoffs.  

I'm really hoping Tre makes it back to where he was pre-injury - time will tell but to this point he's not there.

I'm afraid this does not bode well for Von Miller - he's 6 years older than Tre and I question how much he'll be back next season and if he'll ever get back to where he was pre-injury.

I don't agree at all with this - he wasn't himself but alot was mental just based off how it was dragged out- if you have ever had an injury before that impacts your actual job you would understand that the mental can be more than the physical - he will get back up and be who he was- I really don't doubt it.

I understand the frustration every one is having right now watching the end of our SB favorite run but it happened and just seems like everyone is looking for an answer - there isn't just one we can see or better yet control 

The only true problem is that many on this board have a finger to point and try to appear as they know more than the people that built this team from a play off drought team to multiple play off seasons 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I expect the old Tre to be back week 1 2023. That was my expectation since Thanksgiving 2021. People who talked themselves into him being ready to roll week 1 this season weren’t being realistic. Most of those same people are kidding themselves into believing Miller will be 100% week 1. We will be lucky if he’s even close to that by the playoffs.  

I feel everyone is different. It’s possible to return after 8 months. Von is a different animal also. But I am definitely worried about him returning at all. That contract is such a disaster. We lost cap space and the player. Very difficult injury to absorb.

8 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

“Not very good” by Tre White standards is still better than the vast majority of starting CBs.

That’s from December 29th, doesn’t include the Cincy torching before game was cancelled.  The Dolphins and Bengals gameplan was to target him.  There was no playing with fire.  He was bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

If Tre is going to return to his pro-bowl caliber status, it will happen next year.  

It is what it is.  No point in worrying about it now.  

Our Defense is going to be very dependent upon Tre, Von and Hyde all returning to the type of high level player we pay them to be post-injury recovery.  

Everyone always blames the pass rush, and there's some truth to it, but the best way to get your rushers home more efficiently is to cover up well in the back half.

You're not getting home with your front 4 if there's an open receiver consistently in 2.5 seconds.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.