The Bills have a Tre White problem

Back2Buff

The whole Tre White situation to start the year was strange at first, but then you seen him get on the field, and you realized why he wasn't playing.  The guy was not very good this year at all.  Some will blame the injury, but how many games you going to give a guy till he is back to playing up to his very large payday?

I think White will never be what he was.  He looked old out there, even after just playing 5 or 6 games this year.  I also think his playing style limits the entire defense on the type of defense we can play.  He does not excel in press man and needs to play off guys.  I personally think this team needs to play more press man.  Tough to transition to that when your "number 1" CB and 16 million dollar man can't play it at a top level.

Problem with White is, you can't get out of his contract.  His dead cap is higher than if he is on the team.

The only option I really see, is if Taron Johnson takes over for Poyer at safety.  Tre moves to nickel corner where he will be less exposed on an island, and you bring in another press man outside CB to pair with Elam.  Elam's strength is press man and it was really head scratching you drafted him and then played him in a zone.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 7
  • Eyeroll 9
  • Disagree 15
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 7

Hmmmm..I think he did get a little quicker as the season went on.

He looked SUPER SLOW those first 2-3 games, but I saw a little more burst to end the year.

I think hell get back to his form or at least close to it.

Edited by Ramza86
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

This a good time to bump my post telling everyone to prep for Tre White is finished threads when he returns?

He’s young enough to rebound easily. Returning midseason is hard. We’ll have these conversations after next season if he’s struggling. I have no reason to believe he won’t be back to normal next year.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

The whole Tre White situation to start the year was strange at first, but then you seen him get on the field, and you realized why he wasn't playing.  The guy was not very good this year at all.  Some will blame the injury, but how many games you going to give a guy till he is back to playing up to his very large payday?

I think White will never be what he was.  He looked old out there, even after just playing 5 or 6 games this year.  I also think his playing style limits the entire defense on the type of defense we can play.  He does not excel in press man and needs to play off guys.  I personally think this team needs to play more press man.  Tough to transition to that when your "number 1" CB and 16 million dollar man can't play it at a top level.

Problem with White is, you can't get out of his contract.  His dead cap is higher than if he is on the team.

The only option I really see, is if Taron Johnson takes over for Poyer at safety.  Tre moves to nickel corner where he will be less exposed on an island, and you bring in another press man outside CB to pair with Elam.  Elam's strength is press man and it was really head scratching you drafted him and then played him in a zone.

No offense, but this post is way off base.  Many of us repeatedly told this board that it can take until the following season before a player comes fully back from this injury.  Yet this delusion persisted that not only was Tre gonna be ready week 1, but he’d quickly get back to his old self.  That was never likely going to happen no matter how many people tried to convince themselves otherwise.

Bills don’t have a Tre problem (at least not yet), they have a problem with inaccurate expectations on Tre from fans this past season.  

Tre may or may not get back to the player he was, but that was never really going to be known until next season.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This a good time to bump my post telling everyone to prep for Tre White is finished threads when he returns?

He’s young enough to rebound easily. Returning midseason is hard. We’ll have these conversations after next season if he’s struggling. I have no reason to believe he won’t be back to normal next year.

He's not that young.  He is 28 already.  Most players play until 30 so he is on the downside, not upside.

There was going to be a normal regression of speed and agility, and it seems like the injury has sped that up immensely.

Just not sure what an offseason would do for a 28 year old to gain speed back.  He had A LOT of time to get up to speed this year, and it never came.

• Dislike 2

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

More like a horrible post problem 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

He's not that young.  He is 28 already.  Most players play until 30 so he is on the downside, not upside.

There was going to be a normal regression of speed and agility, and it seems like the injury has sped that up immensely.

Just not sure what an offseason would do for a 28 year old to gain speed back.  He had A LOT of time to get up to speed this year, and it never came.

Most players yes, not most all pro quality players.

Injury happened at 27. He’ll be fine. He was already improving at the end.

• Like (+1) 1

Seemed like the opponents best gameplan was to target Tre.  Certainly was for the Bengals. If the Hamlin situation never happened, this would be a much bigger topic of conversation.  He was never a speed guy, has lost a step or 2, and mentally doesn’t seem to be handling that well.  This is a huge problem.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Most players yes, not most all pro quality players.

Injury happened at 27. He’ll be fine. He was already improving at the end.

Mac Jones did whatever he wanted with our CBs.  We played a 3rd string QB, and then Burrow did whatever he wanted with our CBs.

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

Mac Jones did whatever he wanted with our CBs.  We played a 3rd string QB, and then Burrow did whatever he wanted with our CBs.

We don’t have a pass rush. We could have 4 all pro CBs and they aren’t covering with our pass rush. I think it was the worst pass rush in football without Von Miller.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I agree that Tre's future is kind of a mystery right now.  He didn't return from the acl like we'd hoped. We need more press man CB's beyond Elam. I think Frazier's gone and hopefully whoever takes his place values press man coverage at a substantially higher snap percentage.  The slot for Tre is not a terrible idea. 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We don’t have a pass rush. We could have 4 all pro CBs and they aren’t covering with our pass rush.

What's a pass rush going to do when your CB has to play 5 yards off a player because he will get burned if he doesn't, and the QB just pops it out in 2 secs to the WR that has a 5 yard cushion?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.