Bills Coaching Staff Changes Thread

hellofellowbillsfans

6 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

This makes absolutely no sense. This coach was widely praised and credited with the success of developing Taron Johnson into being one of the best nickel CBs in the league. And he was working with 2/3 string safties most of the season (paired with backup rookie CBs and little pass rush/no Von Miller)

Just a guess...

Those safeties, Hamlin and Johnson, have been on the roster for a few seasons and it was expected that they were being coached up to be able to step right in when Hyde and Poyer aged out. Hamlin did "just ok" as long as he had Poyer telling him what to do and even then was shakey, and Johnson was complete garbage. They were not nearly as developed or ready as anyone hoped.

I dunno. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I saw some interesting analysis on the Hurst TD

Burrow used a hand signal that we though we stole from their NE game which meant tunnel screen to Chase

They had switched it against us so everyone bit on the Chase fake screen

That's embarrassing if true. Teams change their signals and calls within games - why would they think it would remain the same from week to week?

• Agree 2

Just now, Beck Water said:

McDermott *did* fire Rico Dennison and the following year Juan Castillo.  But I think the list of coaching assistants who have "pursued other opportunities" is longer.

Maybe, I just don't think it's something unique to McDermott's regime. If they need to fire someone, they will.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just a guess...

Those safeties, Hamlin and Johnson, have been on the roster for a few seasons and it was expected that they were being coached up to be able to step right in when Hyde and Poyer aged out. Hamlin did "just ok" as long as he had Poyer telling him what to do and even then was shakey, and Johnson was complete garbage. They were not nearly as developed or ready as anyone hoped.

I dunno. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe it goes more to show that not many 6th round players should be starting safeties?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Maybe, I just don't think it's something unique to McDermott's regime. If they need to fire someone, they will.

Certainly, I just think he has a preference to give a guy a hot minute to call around and line something up and then "leave to pursue other opportunities" because that's how it was handled when Andy Reid fired McDermott as DC - it was painted in the media as a decision to pursue another opportunity with the Panthers as their DC, even though it was rumored to be a firing (and actually was). 

I agree that if he needs to fire someone, he will. 

So the Frazier contract stuff is speculation (I Think). But I will say that from all accounts, generally, assistant coach contracts are 3 years in length and Leslie just finished his 6th year here. Again this is an assumption. He as originally signed in 2017 as DC. When his contract was up he signed a new one that named him Assistant head coach/DC. So who knows if that was longer than 3 years?

Just now, Steptide said:

This leads me to believe all that off coverage defense may not have been Frazier. At least not completely. Makes sense too seeing what happened in the 13 seconds last season. 

Frazier is calling the plays and is responsible for the playbook. The other guys are just position coaches. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

so he did a good job this year?   Please expand.  Did you watch the Bengals game against its backup OL, or the Dolphins game.  Who cares if Miller loves him.  

I ask you for one example of him being a yes man and any rationale as to why he should be fired and posing that question means that I must believe he did a great job?  Making up *****, getting defensive about it, and making up more ***** is a poor way to have a conversation.

I did watch the Bengals game.  Phillips is headed for surgery today.  DaQuan Jones didn't play.  Oliver's pec injury had him playing with half his torso in a brace.  Miller was on IR. Line play looked pretty amazing when everyone was healthy early in the year.  I guess success is a function of talent and lack of success lands only on coaching? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Any examples of him being a yes man? Just one will suffice. 

Great point.  There are none....this is a Coach who got fired by his mentor.  He sleeps in his office a couple of nights a week during the season.  His priority is winning not building Rex Ryan's fraternity house. 

I just don't understand how the opinion that he is a yes man or weak can be formed, but everyone is entitled to punching out some messages on the keyboard.

The best offenses have caught up to and passed this Defense.  Its time for changes and more than just tweaks.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.